Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Another non-lightsaber-related post...

Another non-lightsaber-related post... 1 year 3 weeks ago #56301

• Master Dain
  • Thank you received: 36
Hi all, some of you seemed to like my Champion Disciple Review, and I got a few requests to share other writing as I did it.

In addition to sword (and now lightsaber) collecting I also write articles for a few different websites online. Recently I wrote a review of a classic samurai novel about Miyamoto Musashi, one of Japan's most famous historical figures and reputably the greatest swordsman who ever lived. The book is an epic adventure and I thought many of you folks might like it.

Check it out here if you would like, graciously hosted at RoninKatana.com.

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by sharing this... have a great week everyone! And let me know if you'd like to see more of what I do. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Another non-lightsaber-related post... 1 year 3 weeks ago #56397

• Dav Yeager
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 99
lol he is the reason I took up swordsmanship
The light shall burn away the darkness
The following user(s) said Thank You: Master Dain

Another non-lightsaber-related post... 1 year 3 weeks ago #56567

• Gaelis
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
My Lightsaber sensei (he's a karate teacher) was telling us about Musashi's Book of Five Rings.
He recommended it during a talk about how we need to be more relaxed when duelling.
For those interested, Five Rings is currently 71 English pennies on Kindle.
For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Gaelis. Reason: Bad spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Master Dain

Another non-lightsaber-related post... 1 year 3 weeks ago #56594

• Master Dain
  • Thank you received: 36
Actually, I previously wrote an article reviewing the Book of Five Rings - you are absolutely right, it is a fantastic book and very relevant to lightsaber combat (and being a jedi in general)!

In a very real way, Musashi (the novel) is an ancestor of sorts to Star Wars... The novel helped shape the view on Japanese pop culture of the samurai as a spiritual warrior, and led to the development of the multitude of samurai movies we see in early Japanese cinema. It was the movies of one such filmmaker (Akira Kurosawa, specifically his epic "The Hidden Fortress") that inspired George Lucas to create Star Wars, and the rest is history...

You can see my review of The Book of Five Rings here if you like:

http://roninkatana.com/samurai-sword-blog/musashi-and-the-book-of-the-five-rings-japanese-swordsman-samurai-poet-and-artist/
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Master Dain.

Another non-lightsaber-related post... 1 year 3 weeks ago #56596

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
I asked for a copy of the Book of Five Rings for Christmas, and I have to agree with the concensus: it is an excellent read.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• [FS $350USD] ASP PICO Sit... (2 Posts)
    • Beautiful saber! Sure it'll sell soon. If I hadn't just moved I'd take it off your hands. It's a...
    • Difference Between Moment... (4 Posts)
    • 1. Yes to the first part, no to the second 2. Yes, for certain boards (explained below) 3. Depends...
    • Difference Between Moment... (4 Posts)
    • If your doing a sound build a momentary switch is preferred, but if doing a custom hero- Hence a...
    • FS: SaberForge Fallen (2 Posts)
    • Wasn't happy with the volume, swapped it out for a KR Sabers bass speaker. Nice and loud now!...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5207
  • Latest Member: Tammyapolo
  • Total Posts: 55.8k
  • Total Topics: 4649
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 12
  • Today Answer: 5
  • Yesterday Answer: 23