Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP ANH Graflex w/mods

ASP ANH Graflex w/mods 1 year 3 months ago #64147

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
The SF ASP A New Hope (ANH) Graflex has been a bit of a hot topic because of a single factor: its' switch. The switch section on this hilt is very sharp and the button itself is rigged to be depressed by a metal bubble card glued to a rubber washer. Some simple mods to the switch section and the addition of accents to the emitter bump this hilt from "decent" to "reasonable facsimile" and I think this hilt deserves a second look. For one thing it's quite photogenic:

Let's start with the switch section which needs the most TLC. I sanded down the box and the edges of the box with a 440 grit which took its' edge off. Then I ripped out the bubble card and the button to replace them with a recharge port and a standard latching switch. I rigged a TCSS bubble card with Velcro to slide in and out of the switch section.

After that I epoxied a 9mm clear quartz cabochon into the empty glass eye spot. To cap it off I'm using a KR Graflex blade plug with a Arctic Blue LED:

Some notes worth mentioning: the graflex pins are glued in, not screwed in. I had to readjust a pin that wasn't installed properly and after several seconds of spinning it in place I realized I just needed to pull it out. Other tricky factors are that the LED and blade retention screws are a bit "hidden." The LED retention screw is the "beer tab" screw below the red faux button and I had to sand it down so it didn't stick out when it holds the LED in place. Lastly the aluminum grips are quite nice and not at all uncomfortable.

The SF ASP Graflex isn't a replica grade hilt but it's still quite a good and durable graflex. Some quick mods up it's "quality of life" score and adding the replica bubble card and quartz eye elevate its' sophistication. If you're not interested in investing the time or money into a much more expensive Korbanth hilt this is a reasonable alternative.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by h2soy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Greysider, Borommakot, OvrcAHst, HotRod, Kouri, jonnys95s10

ASP ANH Graflex w/mods 1 year 3 months ago #64153

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
Nice mods.
I've considered on many occasions on getting another Flex so I can do my own version of a 'darkflex'. But always end up talking myself out of it as I'd rather put the funds into acquiring a different saber instead. But I still have a need to create a dark version...

ASP ANH Graflex w/mods 1 year 3 months ago #64157

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 643
Not bad, good job.

Did the original bubble card that came with the switch box sit securely when you slide it (i.e. like the Prodigal Son) or fall out because there was nothing to secure it?
"I am the Senate"

ASP ANH Graflex w/mods 1 year 3 months ago #64163

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 342
A little goes a long way I guess when it comes to this hilt. Nice mods h2soy. That little bit made yours all the better!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

ASP ANH Graflex w/mods 1 year 3 months ago #64166

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Did the original bubble card that came with the switch box sit securely when you slide it (i.e. like the Prodigal Son) or fall out because there was nothing to secure it?
The original metal bubble card is glued into place so the button can be depressed with the washer that's glued on top of the button. I like having a recharge port and the metal looked lackluster so it had to go.

ASP ANH Graflex w/mods 1 year 2 months ago #66129

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
I may be stepping over the line here, but it really should be done. I sorry if this comes off as a dig, it's not. Just an honest assesment

SF version of the Graflex is the only version I would duel with, it's more comfortable and lacks inherent weaknesses the Korbanth/Romans/Real ones have.

However if you are wanting it to look as close as possible and will do nothing but light sparring? This more than likely will not work. Korbanth is around 90% accurate and can be pushed up to 95%, Romans is 99% accurate. Neither can take a beating, but they look like the ones Anakin/Luke/Rey used. And honestly are prettier in most people opinion. It's an advantage for looks when not worrying about dueling, they can make the parts look like they are meant to. Not thicker, off versions. If this hilt calls to you than disregard my statements and the style is yours and we all like what we like. And it would break (literally) the other hilts I mentioned!
It's a good hilt for what it is.

So for Dueling the SF. For looks either, and for accuracy....
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by SuUpberSith.

ASP ANH Graflex w/mods 1 year 2 months ago #66134

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 720
SuUpberSith wrote:
SF version of the Graflex is the only version I would duel with, it's more comfortable and lacks inherent weaknesses the Korbanth/Romans/Real ones have.

I've tried dueling with the ASP Graflex emitter, and, I can't really recommend it without mods. It's a two-piece emitter - a shell with separate blade holder that's held in place by the greebles. After a few hits, though, everything comes loose. Sure, it can be re-tightened, but...

Maybe with some epoxy or threadlock, everything could be solidified. If SF starts offering a pre-built Graflex in the store lineup that's had everything secured, sure. Maybe the pro-built ASP Graflex will be locked tight. But as-is, off-the-shelf, no, the ASP Graflex emitter isn't a great dueling emitter.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Kouri.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuUpberSith

ASP ANH Graflex w/mods 1 year 2 months ago #66145

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Kouri
I've tried dueling with the ASP Graflex emitter, and, I can't really recommend it without mods. It's a two-piece emitter - a shell with separate blade holder that's held in place by the greebles. After a few hits, though, everything comes loose. Sure, it can be re-tightened, but...

Maybe with some epoxy or threadlock, everything could be solidified. If SF starts offering a pre-built Graflex in the store lineup that's had everything secured, sure. Maybe the pro-built ASP Graflex will be locked tight. But as-is, off-the-shelf, no, the ASP Graflex emitter isn't a great dueling emitter.

Good point. I was thinking of the new pro built version, but stand by it as having the most having the most potential for dueling. No doubt it's an odd hilt (whoever's version) to choose to duel with, as basically damn near all other hilts are more comfortable.
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• K4 build (13 Posts)
    • Ooo I just saw Jas OT's mid-era exile weathered K4, that's a gorgeous take on the hilt. The...
    • Too Much of a Good Thing,... (6 Posts)
    • Hi All, I just have to laugh at all these Star Wars Theorists that in one YouTube video say "REY'S...
    • My Wife's Princess Rainbo... (15 Posts)
    • And to think the wife is only this girly on these kind of subjects; daily life it's all death metal,...
    • Custom Ascend MadCow GCS|... (26 Posts)
    • You're always on an entire league of your own :woohoo: Damn that is nice and making me think copper...
    • Relic Wrath VV|Story so f... (28 Posts)
    • The Wrath has just such a cool design; be it on its own as a cool-ass mace or as a pillar of doom -...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6001
  • Latest Member: Scottpilgrim2
  • Total Posts: 61.8k
  • Total Topics: 5148
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 37
  • Yesterday Answer: 23