Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27)

ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27) 6 months 3 weeks ago #65667

• RolandofGilead
  • Thank you received: 9
Just received my ASP parts! Still need batteries, but when I get those I will have two warrior tier sabers, everything else is ready to go. Ordered Sunday, August 14th.

Hawked Retort
This one is mine! I was shocked by how massive it is, it's a bit overwhelming, especially compared to the second saber I bought. It beats the Kylo Ren Force FX in length (not in girth, though, hahaha.) I chose mint green for the blade color. I hadn't seen anyone else use this emitter or pommel so far (or a black Prodigal Son switch.)

Jade Imposter
This one is for my girlfriend. She wanted Mara Jade's saber, but wanted the switch section in black. It's so dainty! Honestly, it feels great, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit envious of how comfortable, light, and wieldy it is. She chose, of course, purple for the color.

I am having a difficult time getting the timing correct. The shims don't seem to get me quite where I want, and you can't use them with the Jade switch section anyway. Any recommendations on how to work on this are welcome. I do have a dremel, I've heard the threads can be altered, but I'm not going to jump into that without a lengthy explanation.

I am super happy with my purchase, and can't wait to get the babies lit up! Childhood dream come true, hahaha.
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by RolandofGilead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, Borommakot, OvrcAHst, Neesh Kedoo

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65670

• Burns3558
  • Elite Member
  • The force is strong in my family...
  • Thank you received: 55
Search for Madcow/the custom saber shop on YouTube. There is a video that shows you how to line up parts. It's easy and all you need is sandpaper. I just lined up an asp perfectly without any shims using this method.
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Burns3558. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandofGilead

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65671

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1542
That's a nice use of a Black PS Switch, one I hadn't ever thought to use. Personally, I'm favouring the design composition of Jade Imposter of the two, very nice, Thank you with sharing the first realisation of a long lived dream. As a cautionary reminder come the time you begin/complete the install for Jade Imposter, I have read of some user-unfriendliness that the inner side of the Body studs create friction against the battery/soundboard. If space permits, perhaps utilise a transparent plastic sleeve as a protective barrier. Looking forward to seeing this pair lit-up. :)

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65674

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 277
Very nice hilts. The alternating dual tone finishes work very well here. Good choice.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65676

• RolandofGilead
Thank you guys for the comments! I think I might order a second Jade pommel for the HR, I swapped them out just to see how it felt and the length is much more manageable with a low profile pommel.

OvrcAHst, was the problem that the studs were poking out a bit on the inside? If so, I think they're cutting them shorter, as the inside of the body section is smooth, with nothing poking through the holes. I will probably take your advice and craft a plastic sleeve, just to be safe, though.

Burns3558, thank you for the advice. I found the video and it was very helpful for the HR, but unfortunately the Jade's switch section sits inside of the emitter and body, not up against. I will have to find some other way to adjust the clocking. Maybe put washers inside the body and emitter?

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65678

• OvrcAHst
RolandofGilead wrote:
OvrcAHst, was the problem that the studs were poking out a bit on the inside? If so, I think they're cutting them shorter, as the inside of the body section is smooth, with nothing poking through the holes. I will probably take your advice and craft a plastic sleeve, just to be safe, though.
It was and it's good to learn that the likely user-unfriendliness was a thing of the past now too.
I think I might order a second Jade pommel for the HR, I swapped them out just to see how it felt and the length is much more manageable with a low profile pommel.
Weight reduction is good but right now I imagine you to be measuring it's handling and balance as an empty. It may prove more favourable with management once you have the electronics completed and a blade inserted. The HR right now has symmetry with the similarities between Emitter & Pommel. Changing out Pommel for a LP Jade might throw-it a little since you've got the height of the PS Box too but what observations I make are irrelevant, as long as you're happy with them. :)

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65681

• RolandofGilead
OvrcAHst wrote:
Weight reduction is good but right now I imagine you to be measuring it's handling and balance as an empty. It may prove more favourable with management once you have the electronics completed and a blade inserted. The HR right now has symmetry with the similarities between Emitter & Pommel. Changing out Pommel for a LP Jade might throw-it a little since you've got the height of the PS Box too but what observations I make are irrelevant, as long as you're happy with them. :)

That is a good point that I hadn't thought about. I'm not going to jump the gun, I'm hopeful I can get the electronics installed this weekend and I will reassess how I feel. I do like the symmetry, it's why I put this particular emitter and pommel together, I just didn't expect it to be such a whopper! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65682

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 510
Rolando, nice sabers. Many unique choices, and a black PS switch :woohoo:.with Red and Green arrows. Congratulations and MTFBWY

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65701

• OvrcAHst
RolandofGilead wrote:
That is a good point that I hadn't thought about. I'm not going to jump the gun, I'm hopeful I can get the electronics installed this weekend and I will reassess how I feel. I do like the symmetry, it's why I put this particular emitter and pommel together, I just didn't expect it to be such a whopper! :lol:
:lol: You know, instead of shying away from the whopper meal thinking to downsize to a Junior whopper, you could always capitalise on it and upsize again for better weight distribution. Adding a spear extension may be more on the greater extremity but say something like an Exile Body instead of Venom and to keep the grenade influences, use the grenade couplers in addition to? :whistle: Even still, as a further configurable possibility, sub out the Venom Body (as part of the downsizing venture) and integrate grenade couplers (in succession) in place of without sacrificing said symmetry. Maybe some more time on ASP Builder upcoming. :lol:

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65708

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
What about moving the PS switch section down so it's between the pommel and the grenade section? This should let you choke up more on the hilt for handling.

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 3 weeks ago #65715

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Wow, those turned out very nice. I particularly like yours, looks like it has some heft to it. A tool of a true warrior.

Also, is moving the switch down to the bottom even possible? I didn't think the cables were that long, plus it would get the switches in the way off installing the battery wouldn't it? That's a Venom body after all, and the pommel is literally the tiny little crack at the very bottom. That whole smooth section under the grenade grip is part of the body itself. I think he put the switch in the only location the innards physically allow it, above the speaker, battery compartment, wires and under the LED.

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 2 weeks ago #65775

• RolandofGilead
Moving the switch down wouldn't work, as said the wires wouldn't be long enough and there would be no room for the batteries. Also, I like the look of the switch being in the middle.

It will take some work sanding, but aligning the HR doesn't seem like it will be an issue in the long run. However, I still can't wrap my head around how to align the Jade switch section. It's thin enough that it threads inside the body and emitter, so neither washers or sanding will work. I really need some guidance on this one. Any help will be appreciated.

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 2 weeks ago #65781

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Those are sweet! Don't give up on the timing. I had to order a "booster" pack of timing shims to get everything just right on mine. It can be done. Those look really good, though!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 2 weeks ago #65798

• SnowDog
  • Thank you received: 24
Nice sabers, Gunslinger. All things serve the beam!

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 2 weeks ago #65815

• RolandofGilead
Thankee, partner. ;)

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 2 weeks ago #65844

• RolandofGilead
Worked on the HR all morning, got the parts all aligned (sanding method) and the electronics installed. I am going to order another black Jade pommel, I prefer how it looks and the length of the hilt with it. The Venom body has a natural pommel built into it, anyway. Also, I installed two springs under the activation card, to keep it lifted even when the latching switch is depressed. It's working out great at keeping the card in the box, but still requires very specific button presses to turn it off and on. Anyway, on to the pics.

My poor Kylo Ren FX, as cool as it is, is totally outclassed now. BUT, it has sound, haha. Will have to upgrade the HR in the future.

ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27) 6 months 2 weeks ago #65847

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
HA, once you go Saberforge, you don't go back. :-P

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 2 weeks ago #65854

• OvrcAHst
RolandofGilead wrote:
Worked on the HR all morning, got the parts all aligned (sanding method) and the electronics installed. I am going to order another black Jade pommel, I prefer how it looks and the length of the hilt with it. The Venom body has a natural pommel built into it, anyway. Also, I installed two springs under the activation card, to keep it lifted even when the latching switch is depressed. It's working out great at keeping the card in the box, but still requires very specific button presses to turn it off and on. Anyway, on to the pics.
HR's looking good and I'm sure you'll agree a significant difference is made with blade inserted and lit. What I imagine the grenade being your initial goto grip point when empty, do you find the goto grip point now is just above the box?

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 2 weeks ago #65953

• RolandofGilead
OvrcAHst wrote:
HR's looking good and I'm sure you'll agree a significant difference is made with blade inserted and lit. What I imagine the grenade being your initial goto grip point when empty, do you find the goto grip point now is just above the box?

Yep! It's a lot smoother than the grenade, also, hahaha. I'd love to see a variant Prodigal Son inspired Venom body in the future, I think it would make for a much better grip. Also, I have always loved the activation boxes, because it screams OT to me. But, I must say, most of the warnings I've read here about them are entirely true, and unless I'm doing a screen accurate build will probably never put one on another saber. It looks cool, but makes handling kind of a pain.

ASP- Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter 6 months 2 weeks ago #65963

• OvrcAHst
RolandofGilead wrote:
Yep! It's a lot smoother than the grenade, also, hahaha. I'd love to see a variant Prodigal Son inspired Venom body in the future, I think it would make for a much better grip. Also, I have always loved the activation boxes, because it screams OT to me. But, I must say, most of the warnings I've read here about them are entirely true, and unless I'm doing a screen accurate build will probably never put one on another saber. It looks cool, but makes handling kind of a pain.
:woohoo: Heyyy.. the PS ribbed grenade as a Body section suggestion is genius, definitely a point of difference. Great thinking 99! Comfort-wise though whilst the PS ribbed is more comfortable, the Redeemer intersectional or Body7's pineapple squares aren't really bad either.

I nod in agreement as I read your Box comment. To go against the majority grain though, I don't mind it that much. It works even better IMO when the Emitter is symmetrical like yours, notso much with an asymmetrical emitter. For example, the only Box I have difficulty with is Graflex ESB. I'm particular with the bunny ear negative space window and that it should be pointing outwards when wielding it. With the limited space on the Emitters body and orientation of the box it doesn't allow a comfortable grip so I resort to the bunny ears reversed. If it were ANH setup, perfect for a righty like me but ESB ergonomically favours a lefty. With your setup, I can't imagine much grip restrictions during wield besides knowing where the top corners of the Box are. ;)
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Payment types? (4 Posts)
    • The bottom of the site says they accept American express, Visa, discover, Mastercard, JCB and there...
    • well..........that sucks.
    • Apparently they don't accept Paypal I asked CS a while ago which payment options they accepted. They...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: SWEET! I will definitely be getting an Aeon. Prodigy looks great too. I'd have to see some...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4710
  • Latest Member: TARoberth2C1e
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 32
  • Yesterday Answer: 41