Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 4 weeks ago #68565

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
The Dark Ravager...

This thing is a monster. It was a custom build I did for my best friend. He liked my Exhalted, but wanted something in black. Thus, this saber was born.

It consists of:

- Redeemer Emitter in Black (From Indegogo Campaign with Prodigal Son Style Grenade Section)
- Fallen Switch Section
- Fury Body
- Fury Pommel
- Black Metal Kill Key

- NEC Spark 2
- Photo Red / Photo Red / Amber / Amber Quad Cree LED
- 2w Bass Speaker
- Black / Orange LED Lit AV Switch

This is a Monster hilt! It measures just over 15" in length due to the switch section. I was so concerned about the length that I talked to my buddy about it, but he kinda of liked the idea of it being longer and darker. Once I got it built, I was surprised by how good it felt. It feels almost like a long sword being VERY easy to grip with two hands. You can really get some leverage. Once I picked up my Exhalted, it all of a sudden felt short to me as I had grown accustomed to this. It is longer than my CR Exhalted even when open!

I really like how the Prodigal Son style grenade section feels here. It gives grip without biting into your hands. I prefer the look of the Redeemer grenade section, but this is FAR more comfortable to hold.

The one thing I did not photograph here is that the Emitter came from the Indigogo campaign and thus the female end of the grenade section is too short to cover all of the threads on the switch section (see my review of my Exhalted where I have the same issue). I think the new "Thin-Neck Adapters" don't have this issue, but this one does. However, in all black, you pretty much can't see it. We have been using o-rings to hide the issue, but if you look carefully in these pictures, you can see the exposed threads of the switch section. We were both reluctant to sand the threads down.

I placed the wrong AV Switch in the hilt. It was supposed to be Red, but ended up being Orange. This turned out to be a happy accident. I think the Orange turned out great here matching with the copper and brass thin-neck.

Let's talk about that Deep Red LED for a second. Wow! That Deep Red is GORGEOUS! Especially in this hilt. The custom Pr / Pr / A / A can also mixes for a deep Orange and Blood Orange. However, I was not able to get the same Orange or Blood orange that was from my Ro / Ro / A / A (which makes sense). I also have a Pr / G / Rb / A LED, and it too I found presented some limitations with color mixing.

My opinion is this. If Red is the primary color you want and you would like some other color for FoC, then Deep Red (Photo Red) is definitely the way to go. But if you are getting Deep Red to mix with another color...I'd go with a regular Red LED. I just did not like the way it color mixes. I did get Orange, Blood Orange, and Deep Red from this LED, but they were tough to get just right. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a picture my buddy sent after I left his place and had delivered his Saber. That Deep Red is so awesome!

I loaded it with a few dark fonts and made a custom Halo font for him since he's a big Halo fan. I will not claim to be good at creating my own fonts, but this was a fun project that I really enjoyed. The saber feels good and sounds great.

Final Thoughts:

This saber surprised me. I thought the length would be too long and the black would be too muted. Instead, the hilt feels great and powerful in hand and the black is gorgeous. I thought the Pr / Pr / A / A LED would be the best LED I had ever made. Well, the Deep Red is sublime! But the combination with Amber left me with mixed feelings. Maybe next time I would go Pr / Pr / Ro / Ro, but those two might be too close in color. I built in quick connects, so we have the option to change whenever we like. :-)

As far as the hilt goes, neither myself or my best friend could be happier! If you're going do something, go BIG and go DARK!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
Last Edit: 1 year 4 weeks ago by HotRod.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, OvrcAHst

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 4 weeks ago #68566

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
Just to give you another perspective on the length, ha.

Blood Orange

Orange

And the close up of where the Grenade Section (Indegogo Version) and Switch Section meeting showing the exposed threads

The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, OvrcAHst

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 4 weeks ago #68567

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1379
Just wow!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 4 weeks ago #68570

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 122
Looks awesome! And getting Braveheart vibes over here :P
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 4 weeks ago #68571

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 643
What a monster. It is definitely and comfortably a two-handed thin neck! 10/10
"I am the Senate"

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 4 weeks ago #68584

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1698
:woohoo: You had me with Thin neck. Great build HotRod, sucks about the exposed threads, maybe it's my turn to return the gesture of an empathetic Sorry? :lol: Were all the Black Parts uniform in finish? Difficult to gauge from the pics but am driving at whether some are matte black versus others that are gloss black. A 13+" Thin Neck, stay tuned.. ;)

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 4 weeks ago #68593

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 342
Oh yeah! Awesome build HotRod! Being a fan of the longer hilts, this one really caught my eye. And that black w/Deep Red? Very nice.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 4 weeks ago #68631

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
:woohoo: You had me with Thin neck. Great build HotRod, sucks about the exposed threads, maybe it's my turn to return the gesture of an empathetic Sorry? :lol: Were all the Black Parts uniform in finish? Difficult to gauge from the pics but am driving at whether some are matte black versus others that are gloss black. A 13+" Thin Neck, stay tuned.. ;)

From what I can tell, yes, they do look uniform. I did some a differentiation of shiny parts and matte parts. I need to look at it again more carefully, though. The emitter and grenade section was in my possession months before the rest of the parts arrived since this saber was just a possibility in my mind at the time.

Thanks for the reciprocation of empathy, ha. :lol: I looked at the picture on the Saberparts site today and it looks like the new thin-neck adapters might be built to solve this problem. In theory, I could order a solid black one and a brushed silver one and fix the issue with both my sabers. Both of the ones I had came prior to the ASP site being live.

Looking forward to some more thin-neck goodness. :woohoo:

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 3 weeks ago #68690

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
WHOA, that thing is a monster!

Looks awesome!

Check out the color I got on the Revan build using a R/Pr/G/G setup. I will say that over about 75% power on the green LEDs and the green will start to over take yellow on the color mixing though.

That being said after some "fiddling" I got an awesome Deep Orange color that looks fantastic in pictures.

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 3 weeks ago #68693

• Burns3558
  • Elite Member
  • The force is strong in my family...
  • Thank you received: 57
HotrodI had the same problem with exposed threads on an asp reborn and I just sanded them down. It took a while with 200 grit but it made the threads go away and it screws together fine.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Burns3558.

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 3 weeks ago #68694

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
I have a similar issue on the Revan hilt. Body section to switch section. Not nearly as pronounced as yours Though. I did try sanding them down and reduced it considerably but hit a point where the body was having trouble biting onto the first threads when screwing in so I opted use some grey plumbers tape over the threads and colored it black with a permanent sharpie. It's barely noticeable now. Unless you know it's there you wouldn't see it.

I would suggest trying something similar for an easy/quick fix.

Thin-Neck Dark Ravager Deep Red / Amber LED 1 year 2 weeks ago #68946

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
Burns3558 wrote:
HotrodI had the same problem with exposed threads on an asp reborn and I just sanded them down. It took a while with 200 grit but it made the threads go away and it screws together fine.

Thanks for confirming this. I was afraid it might cause issues with threading the pieces after sanding.
Jas-Ot wrote:
I have a similar issue on the Revan hilt. Body section to switch section. Not nearly as pronounced as yours Though. I did try sanding them down and reduced it considerably but hit a point where the body was having trouble biting onto the first threads when screwing in so I opted use some grey plumbers tape over the threads and colored it black with a permanent sharpie. It's barely noticeable now. Unless you know it's there you wouldn't see it.

I would suggest trying something similar for an easy/quick fix.

Thank you, so this can happen. Good to know. I think what I may do is try another S-Connector and see if that resolves it.

Thank you both for chiming in on this. I am so grateful for the help! :-)

Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• K4 build (13 Posts)
    • Ooo I just saw Jas OT's mid-era exile weathered K4, that's a gorgeous take on the hilt. The...
    • Too Much of a Good Thing,... (6 Posts)
    • Hi All, I just have to laugh at all these Star Wars Theorists that in one YouTube video say "REY'S...
    • My Wife's Princess Rainbo... (15 Posts)
    • And to think the wife is only this girly on these kind of subjects; daily life it's all death metal,...
    • Custom Ascend MadCow GCS|... (26 Posts)
    • You're always on an entire league of your own :woohoo: Damn that is nice and making me think copper...
    • Relic Wrath VV|Story so f... (28 Posts)
    • The Wrath has just such a cool design; be it on its own as a cool-ass mace or as a pillar of doom -...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6001
  • Latest Member: Scottpilgrim2
  • Total Posts: 61.8k
  • Total Topics: 5148
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 37
  • Yesterday Answer: 23