Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Avenger.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66893

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603

Grey Weathered Avenger 12Watt+ QC Blood Orange

What if:
In a parallel SW Universe due to the pursuance of devastating effects that resulted from an irreversible traumatic experience, there rose Dark Kenobi.

Archives will reveal that this occurrence in History that had a Master fall from grace at his defeat against a worthy adversary.

The events that soon followed then took a different direction and thus a new path (and future) was followed and a shift created.

It was then at this very moment, consumed by rage and anger, the once controlled red core was breached, unleashing the fury of one that will henceforth be feared.

First impressions of the seldom sought and available Grey Weathered was, well.. underwhelming. Granted and accepted that V2 weathering (the darker alternative) is typically different from case/case, but the darker textures and patterned aesthetics usually added to the Hilts exterior. The Grey Weathered executed here fell a little short to what I was expecting having obtained guidance from image representation on the website and with seeing Reviews from other Owners of the Grey Weathering Finish. Enquiries made for better comprehension returned the following:
We are not able to discuss the secrets of our processes. The gray weathering is lighter than the original weathering, and is only available on select hilts.
I.. received a similar answer the other day when I asked one of the Staff at KFC
what the 11 Secret Herbs & Spices actually were.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Subtlety is one thing. This I feel is either another rare freak occurrence (which coincidentally happens a lot with my Orders) or receives only one interpretation, it’s a lightwashed, faint greyscaled watered down weathered finish. Unknown if there’s any correlation, but the metal on the Hilt itself actually feels lighter, almost hollow and absent is the solid feel other Hilt designs share. The surface actually feels brittle, in particular the Body outer windowed shroud that covers the Black anodised slotted grip that overlays the inner aluminium core (which is of course hollow to accommodate the electronics). There’s no accuracy, but I actually speculate that the difference in surface feel and texture may be a result of an anodised Hilt soaked in an acetone bath. The Aluminium definitely feels like it’s undergone some form of a chemical treatment.

One single blade retention setscrew is used on this design. Consistent. Nothing out of the ordinary. Previous versions I believe, had the (next) 3 buttonhead’s as blade retention, but could be completely wrong.

The 3 Silver buttonhead hex screws double as secondary securing for the LED Module which naturally also has its one primary located adjacent to the Switch/Kill Key location. The Red and Brass greeblies are just that. They add aesthetic value only, are threaded and can be removed but the hole exposed only provided a shielded peep hole to the LED Module on the inside.

Consistently inconsistent, luck-of-draw or simply, completely random. It’s not uncommon for Site images to represent either a discontinued line or an out-dated photo. SF is not exempt from this. This Hilt is amongst several received in recent times that included by default the older style knurled kill keys. Communication with CS returns that they’re not available for individual purchase which concludes that all (or most) supplied will equal the lazerforge ones. Perhaps there is still inventory available however reserved for discretional use depending on Hilt Finish and by decision made by the Production Team.

While this Finish is V3, it included Brass accessories (i.e. Covertech & Kill Key). Initial thoughts went out the window as with CR Ares V1, Brass accessories and V2 Xiphos, Brass accessories. I ‘spose SF wants to keep you guessing and as much as wanting by request of preference, it’s a punt within itself and efforts may exist to supply but there’s no guarantee. This, via both Outlets of Main Site and Etsy Ordering.

In case you’re wondering. There is a particular batch of Hilts I ordered that included a QC Module for the convenience and ability to interchange illuminated Blade colour at a whim. Rather than have the lit AV permanently (and consistently) be the same as the installed LED Module from factory and remain so even upon Module change out, I opted for White-lit. I was advised by SFCS that all Champion Tiers will include a lit-AV. The request to have a non-lit AV (as I preferred) would not be accommodated. This also applied to Hero Tiers (current at the time of enquiry as now Hero Tiers appear to be emerging as non-lit but as two mini-tactiles instead). The available colours for the AV illumination are (were): Red, Green, Blue, White, Amber, Purple. White seemed to be the most neutral of the available choices so became the selection.

If you’ll notice the rogue Pommel Cog, more on this a little later..

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66894

• OvrcAHst
Some Specs and Measurements:
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Blood Orange| Champion Tier| Sabercore2.0 Crimson Font| QC LED Module| Silver AV, White-lit| Brass knurled Kill Key| Brass Covertech| Grey Weathered Finish.

Hilt Length: 273mm
Blade Socket Depth: 37mm
Emitter Diameter: 38.80mm
Choke Diameter: 34.82mm
Body Diameter: 37.94mm
Pommel inc. Cog Diameter: 53.96mm

Weight: 460 Grams

Balance (Hilt only, from Pommel to POI): 139mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 26”: 272mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 32”: 312mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 37”: 368mm

I swapped out the included Brass/Gold Elite Plug as the lip atop the plug caused it to sit slightly raised against the Emitter front face. The mirrored Cog design buries into the Blade socket to create a recessed look which I prefer more on this Hilt.

From the top, out of the Box = 5 Cogs straight, centred and aligned (how it’s expected to be). Second image shows the rogue: 1 Bent. In addition to this, 4 corners of each 6 Cogs are dangerously sharp much like the 6 exposed straight edges to each 6 Cogs. This I feel is unfinished machining. Now with attempts at better comprehension, the reasoning returned:
Regarding the sharp edges, many of our designs do have sharp edges. These cannot be filed down without changing the design of our hilts, and we recommend using gloves while dueling with your sabers. Not only will this protect your hands against sharp edges, but also prevents fingers from receiving a direct blow from a saber blade.
My confusion stems beyond comprehension. I would have thought sharp edges resulted from a machining process and not a design process. If a folded tempered steel blade was forged, understandable, but a Hilt? I dunno? The other thing is. Well, noted that the Sabers are Duel worthy but is the interpretation intended for duel readiness 24/7? I guess it’s suggested to ensure gloves are always worn, even when handling the Hilt to perform functions like removing Kill Key and plugging for recharge, loosening retention screw etc. Looks like I might need to revisit some old school martial arts training with hand conditioning exercises and repeatedly spear my hands into a pot of loose gravel. Again, I dunno?

3rd image is what bothered me the most. Really!?, Mutha@$#*ing Again?! ; Royally Messed-up Assembly; REN, MASSACRED ACADEMY!! (expletives that actually came out were subbed to more SW Themed friendliness. You can imagine where I’m going with this. A game was revisited, one that I do not enjoy playing. Moving on..

Naturally a dialogue is opened with CS to acknowledge receipt and report the problem I encountered. I’m no machining expert by any means but if you recall further up top where I commented on the brittle feel of the Body shroud and that it feels thinner compared to other SF Hilts? Well, when you grip the Body with firmness you can sense a slight flexing, almost buckling feel that also causes the placement of the AV switch to move a little. One week passed this time until a reply was received and honestly (during the downtime) I grew concerned and as I planned to draft a follow-up email, the reply acknowledgement was received. For the record and it’s worth noting, the boxes received that contain these Hilts are (were) not damaged. This question was raised by CS. The toblerones are sometimes creased but not (and very far from) heavily damaged as if they have been mishandled or stepped on. There are some frightening images online with those ones. This Hilt was also contained with several others that did not experience the same fate and said box was a rectangular SF stamped one
(I keep all of these to hold my blades in).

The remedy received (specific to the Recharge Port) was:
To fix the recharge port, you can use a small amount of Loc Tite or super glue. Spread the glue evenly on the threads to prevent drips, and push the port back into the hilt. Allow the glue to fully dry before using your saber. Sometimes while in transit, the glue can get too hot or too cold, and it will stop holding.
This raised concerns for me. It’s not the first Saber I have Ordered (and received) but the reasoning itself suggests that the factory glue used is inferior and susceptible to high failure during fluctuating temperatures. Every Hilt undergoes some form of transit not necessarily internationally and then how is it some survive and are okay whilst others are not? The instruction I challenged specific to the remedy. I observed that there was no locking nut threaded to the Port internally (not uncommon) and hardly cause for alarm but included it for verification. The port itself has a small lip (about 1-1.5mm) that sits flush against an inner lip of similar dimension on the aluminium’s drilled switch hole and that the Port threads to be glued do not connect, insert against or attach to anything and actually sit free inside the switch section.
So what does gluing that part achieve? Apparently:
The threads on the recharge port to rest against the walls of the hole it slides into, and the glue will work its way up to that lip you described with out there being so much that it spill over and drips onto your hilt.
Yes, I can glue it. Yes I did glue it. Yes it’s back in and secured.
Not with the advised spreading method, rather spot glued instead.
Not something I should have had to do though.
Moving on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DK44, SuUpberSith

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66895

• OvrcAHst

Blood Orange (Red Orange as it is known by now) is such a vibrantly beautiful colour. One I’ve only owned as a 6watt+ on Hero Monarch and this does not disappoint. It suits well to the Hilt Finish and parallel story I had imagined and shall continue with and with the benefit of Quick Connects, (not in any hurry to) can change over to a Deep Red or back to a Light Blue.

As this shared writeup focuses on Dark Kenobi,
the future and events that we know of and have seen may still exist or may well not.
Force Vision? Glimpses of a Future that never became. Or did they?

The following are examples of the Blood Orange LED through
Infinity V4, Day Red, Day Amber & Day Yellow.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SuUpberSith, Gnost-Dural

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66896

• OvrcAHst

To overcome the sharp parts of the Pommel Cogs I took to them (quite rigorously) with my adopted sanding methods however this time added a metal file to round off and distress the cogs more to remain constant to the appearance of the Hilt.

As an Obi Hilt, it’s nice and adds well to a Collection. Of the other timeline, it’s not Redeemer and by comparisons in appearance and finished product, measures second (with great distance) between them. Handles well as a single hand or dual-hand weapon. Pretty light in overall weight, despite the setbacks, welcomed and accepted.

Thank you with stopping by as another entry from the FFS Series is shared.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Eddlyss64, SuUpberSith

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66897

• Unleashediv
  • Thank you received: 36
This saber looks amazing and you musr have a massive collection now, I can't keep up with the amount of threads you have created! Lol

But, having a read there are a few things I am scared of. When I first saw this hilt, it looked like one of the strongest hilts out of all of them. But reading what you have said scares me a litte. :(

I want this saber but I am going to continue to think it over.

But cheers for the review dude. Awesome as always and awesome photos!

Cheers :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66920

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the gray weathering. I think seeing it here I probably wouldn't select that as an option unless it really fit the hilt.

I am a loss of words (49 of them) for the hilt feeling brittle. That's very uncharacteristic for an SF hilt. I know the ASP Avenger body I have on my Graflex Avenger (or "Dennis" as we know call it) feels a little thinner, but not brittle at all. Hopefully Saberforge will work something out for that and the bent prong on the pommel.

As for the recharge port, yeah, you can glue it, but it's the principle of the thing. Although that said, I've never had one come loose. Maybe this is a cursed hilt? It's VERY pretty nonetheless.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66925

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
Definitely an interesting idea, and a beautiful saber despite its flaws. Looking to potentially do a pre-TPM Obi-Wan cosplay, so I definitely need to grab one of these (the Lightside equivalent, of course).

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66930

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 271
I have to second the whole flimsy hilt being uncharacteristic of SF (I only own two SF hilts, so I have a limited reference). My hilts are very sturdy.

That being said, I do love that blood orange on that saber. Although that graphic of Dark Side Kenobi looks like his fall to the dark side commenced by getting two black eyes :P

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66931

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 138
I guess I'm in the minority here on the grey weathering but I think it looks great on this saber! But that absolutely sucks about the bent cog and "popped out" recharge port, WTH?! I understand with the high volume of sabers that get built each day there's bound to be problems here & there but you would've thought someone would've caught that before it went out.....

After I read what you said about the hilt feeling brittle I ran and got my Avenger--I can see what you're talking about, the silver metal on the backside of the black grips does seem thin but on mine it still feels solid (I haven't dueled with it though). Regardless of that though the Avenger is one of the better looking sabers and is a must have. Great review & pics as usual man.

Are you going to darken the weathering at all you think?

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66966

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1095
Sorry to hear that the saber was not everything you hoped for. Not sure what to say about most of the issues, with the exception of the lighter feel to the saber.

I noticed that about my Avenger as well. It is lighter than I thought it would be, and noticeably more so than any of my other sabers. However, I looked at it as a positive, because to me it did not feel like a heavy grade piece of milled aluminum, but rather something that could project a photon blade, rather than requiring a thick plastic blade be affixed to use properly. I had always imagined what a "real" light saber would feel like, and in those imaginings, they were made from metals that were lighter and stronger than anything know to our science, and since there was no weight to the blade either, one could be very fast with a weapon like that even without being a Jedi/Sith.

I have done my impression of dueling with it, and it held up just fine, so I don't think durability will be any more of an issue with this one, any more so than it would be with any other model.

Of course, that is my take on it...your experience and mileage will vary. :) B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66973

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
If the aluminium is shifting just from gripping it, it's a bloody problem. If I had to guess, maybe the actual maker in China screwed up forging it? I know metals can get some really weird effects with small mistakes. I have a hard time buying that the anodization did that, unless the metal was porous. Outside of the obvious issues (AV switch, the pommel how the hell, nm smh and altered metal properties) I actually love that hilt.

Opposed to the 2 black eyes of Kenobi, I thought old ben turned EMO
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66990

• OvrcAHst
Thanks All with stopping by and with your Comments.

Unleashediv wrote:
This saber looks amazing and you musr have a massive collection now, I can't keep up with the amount of threads you have created! Lol
Thanks Bud. Yeah, the Collection is getting stupid massive. Plus I do like me some Spam and not just limited to the processed Spiced Ham in a Can type. ;)
But, having a read there are a few things I am scared of. When I first saw this hilt, it looked like one of the strongest hilts out of all of them. But reading what you have said scares me a litte. :( I want this saber but I am going to continue to think it over. But cheers for the review dude. Awesome as always and awesome photos! Cheers :)
It's worth noting that my observations are specific to the very Hilt I received (and with not being new on the receiving end of questionable deliveries) should remain independent. If I had a do-over, I wouldn't have opted for the V3 if what is in-hand is an accurate representation of what the Finish consistently is or should be. With hindsight, I would've stayed the V1 or V2 path I typically take. Attempts for clarity of understanding returned no success so by default, I'm left with the wonder that it's a secret secured tightly in the SF Holocron.

HotRod wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the gray weathering. I think seeing it here I probably wouldn't select that as an option unless it really fit the hilt.
I am a loss of words (49 of them) for the hilt feeling brittle. That's very uncharacteristic for an SF hilt. I know the ASP Avenger body I have on my Graflex Avenger (or "Dennis" as we know call it) feels a little thinner, but not brittle at all. Hopefully Saberforge will work something out for that and the bent prong on the pommel.
As for the recharge port, yeah, you can glue it, but it's the principle of the thing. Although that said, I've never had one come loose. Maybe this is a cursed hilt? It's VERY pretty nonetheless.
:lol: Thank you for having a look (and read). As I replied to Unleashediv, road travelled would've been very different. It may also explain why the V3 is only available on a selective few. I like to think that I did my homework on it before Order placement but the finish itself and specific to Avenger is rare. It was a punt but even going from other V3 weathered SF Hilts (or just Reviews themselves) how often will you actually read a documented report from observations made even if the observation is a grey one?

Eddlyss64 wrote:
Definitely an interesting idea, and a beautiful saber despite its flaws. Looking to potentially do a pre-TPM Obi-Wan cosplay, so I definitely need to grab one of these (the Lightside equivalent, of course).
Thank you. Ordinarily, it's a Hilt design that warrants instant attraction. This though, the appreciation and measure of beauty needs to be done through squinted eyes. :lol: You seem to be a clean-skinned Hilt type of guy. The outcome here may have been different if I didn't see the appeal with Hilts dirty.

Jas-Ot wrote:
I have to second the whole flimsy hilt being uncharacteristic of SF (I only own two SF hilts, so I have a limited reference). My hilts are very sturdy.
I don't disagree with you. I've had my fair share (more than I'd care to normally entertain) of 'challenged' Hilts however even with 'those' challenges, the rigidness and solidity under firm grasp has never been questioned (this excludes reveal functions). It may well be uncharacteristic but it was delivered as such nonetheless rather being something that perhaps shouldn't have ventured beyond the front door.
That being said, I do love that blood orange on that saber.
Yep! the BO is pretty awesome. There are strong similarities against the standard Red in pics but in person, the difference of separation is noticeable.
Although that graphic of Dark Side Kenobi looks like his fall to the dark side commenced by getting two black eyes :P
:lol: hahaha. Panda Wan Kenobi. Maybe he would have stayed on the Lightside if only he caught himself some more Z's or had some regular Coffee as a morning brew. But think of it like this, let's say one day of innocence during a lazy stroll without any grief in the world and all is well, takes fall or has a face-plant and ends up with a couple of bruised blackies, surely enough to introduce a wave of negative emotion? Try and remember the last time you 'accidentally' injured yourself or was injured by another, was your reactive response articulated as sunshine and rainbows are something less savoury? ;)

DK44 wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority here on the grey weathering but I think it looks great on this saber! But that absolutely sucks about the bent cog and "popped out" recharge port, WTH?! I understand with the high volume of sabers that get built each day there's bound to be problems here & there but you would've thought someone would've caught that before it went out.....
Exactly!?
After I read what you said about the hilt feeling brittle I ran and got my Avenger--I can see what you're talking about, the silver metal on the backside of the black grips does seem thin but on mine it still feels solid (I haven't dueled with it though). Regardless of that though the Avenger is one of the better looking sabers and is a must have. Great review & pics as usual man.
I suspect it's the result of the V3 treatment. Maybe in time, just like the V1 and V2 Finishes, the process will become known so one can be more readily informed with what to expect.
Are you going to darken the weathering at all you think?
I remain unsure with this. Ordinarily, I'd (if it were say All Black or V2) look at personalising the finish but with how it feels when handled, I'm apprehensive with the durability of the aluminium. I dunno. :lol:

Brax wrote:
Sorry to hear that the saber was not everything you hoped for. Not sure what to say about most of the issues, with the exception of the lighter feel to the saber.
Thanks Brax. Wasn't really looking for answers that couldn't have been achieved via SFCS. Just Reviewing feedback from my observations with item received is all.
I noticed that about my Avenger as well. It is lighter than I thought it would be, and noticeably more so than any of my other sabers. However, I looked at it as a positive, because to me it did not feel like a heavy grade piece of milled aluminum, but rather something that could project a photon blade, rather than requiring a thick plastic blade be affixed to use properly.
I can understand your perspective however total mass be it lesser or greater is not the matter at hand here. I've got light Hilts and heavy Hilts by others as well as SF Elites and SF Apprentices. It's the seemingly fragile nature when wielding it when compared against these. Let's take Shadow Hunter. Solid. No apprehension under a loose grip or firm. Still features a similar open-windowed body shroud. That was bought as a V2 and even after stripping the surface to what I ended with, still remains solid. :huh:
I had always imagined what a "real" light saber would feel like, and in those imaginings, they were made from metals that were lighter and stronger than anything know to our science, and since there was no weight to the blade either, one could be very fast with a weapon like that even without being a Jedi/Sith. I have done my impression of dueling with it, and it held up just fine, so I don't think durability will be any more of an issue with this one, any more so than it would be with any other model.
Of course, that is my take on it...your experience and mileage will vary. :) B)
The Emitter has strength much like the depth of the blade socket with inserted blade. Regardless of slow strikes or fast, the Emitter and overall strength relies heavily on its foundation, here it equals the Body. Blade on Blade contact with Thick/Thin Walled polycarbs is relative. Rarely duel anyway, but one cannot help but wince at the thought of exposure to blade on Hilt contact when the Hilt is sturdy, this wouldn't be a first goto. B)

SuUpberSith wrote:
If the aluminium is shifting just from gripping it, it's a bloody problem. If I had to guess, maybe the actual maker in China screwed up forging it? I know metals can get some really weird effects with small mistakes. I have a hard time buying that the anodization did that, unless the metal was porous. Outside of the obvious issues (AV switch, the pommel how the hell, nm smh and altered metal properties) I actually love that hilt.
:lol: Visual appeal of this Hilt and its design is definitely high. This may likely be another case of a pear in a box of apples. Still pretty to look at, but rather as a rough handling readiness about it, it's more like a handle-with-care like a newborn baby. :)
Opposed to the 2 black eyes of Kenobi, I thought old ben turned EMO
Emo-Po Kenobi? :blink: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod, SuUpberSith, Unleashediv

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #66997

• Unleashediv
  • Thank you received: 36
Oh for sure OvrcAHst I will most likely make my own decision regardless. I personally prefer the V1 finish for this saber. Very vanilla I know, but having said that I believe within its own right it is amazing.

Love reading your reviews dude because it helps educate me on what too look for in a saber, rather than blindly buying one on impulse.

It also helps me sort which ones I want first and also consider colour too.

Having said that, I kind of book marked the DT V2 Forsaken to read tonight on the train home.

again thanks dude! It is always appreciated.

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #67010

• stephen.morici
  • Thank you received: 1
My Avenger just shipped and i was curious what was SF response to the bent cog on the pommel, will they be sending you a new pommel or did they even offer a solution? Forgive me if you already answered this but i don't recall reading what SF had to say about it.
Psalm 144:1

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #67018

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 512
I like the Avenger, have considered purchasing one. (I have a very similar looking product by another smith). The problems pictured probably hint of jobs that are rushed.

I know what you mean when you say the grey weathering feels "brittle". My grey weathered Reliant (one month old) feels that way, I would have described it as a rougher feel, a true weathered feel. :cheer:

Congratz. You might have just confirmed that I should also purchase an Avenger.
"I am the Senate"

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 3 weeks ago #67035

• OvrcAHst
Unleashediv wrote:
Oh for sure OvrcAHst I will most likely make my own decision regardless. I personally prefer the V1 finish for this saber. Very vanilla I know, but having said that I believe within its own right it is amazing.

Ain't nothing wrong with Vanilla. It helps hold the other two flavours together and if that's the flavour that tastes good for you, own it. B)
Love reading your reviews dude because it helps educate me on what too look for in a saber, rather than blindly buying one on impulse.
:lol: Thanks.. I think. :blink: So what you're getting at is better me to go in blind first so you don't have to? :lol:
It also helps me sort which ones I want first and also consider colour too.
Thanks. Normally with Hilt selection if a single colour doesn't call to me for the said Hilt, I'd go the RGB option. With SF though, with no desire to go Hero (gots me two already ;) ) I'll mostly cycle through what colours I haven't got yet or sleep-on-it to see what colour I roll with. Lately, most have been Red so hopping left to right hasn't been too hard.
Having said that, I kind of book marked the DT V2 Forsaken to read tonight on the train home.
again thanks dude! It is always appreciated.
Thanks. Back when I trained to and from work all I wanted to do was sleep. Mind you probably makes a difference when the return home train ride was 2am. ;)

stephen.morici wrote:
My Avenger just shipped and i was curious what was SF response to the bent cog on the pommel, will they be sending you a new pommel or did they even offer a solution? Forgive me if you already answered this but i don't recall reading what SF had to say about it.
:lol: I can't remember if I mentioned it or not so nothing to forgive and I'll answer as if I didn't. Yes, brought it to their attention. They offered to send out a replacement Pommel. Haven't received it yet so don't know if it resolves it or doesn't. I did query why they didn't just send the metal Cog instead of a complete Pommel but that part of my query was skipped over and focused on a replacement Part was made. I want to say that I read somewhere once that the Cog was able to be separated from the actual Pommel but perhaps I am mistaken. :blush:

Execute66 wrote:
I like the Avenger, have considered purchasing one. (I have a very similar looking product by another smith).
Go on, just write it. It's a US Guardian isn't it? :whistle:
The problems pictured probably hint of jobs that are rushed.
I'm inclined to sway with prematurely completed more than rushed but what do I know. :huh:
I know what you mean when you say the grey weathering feels "brittle". My grey weathered Reliant (one month old) feels that way, I would have described it as a rougher feel, a true weathered feel. :cheer:
Congratz. You might have just confirmed that I should also purchase an Avenger.
Well firstly, Congratulations on the V3 Reliant.
There is definitely surface texture and a rougher feel, however my description of it as brittle is pretty bang-on. As for true weathering, if it resembled anything like here and retained its solidity, no dramas.
Hey.. and since you have a prebuilt V3 Reliant (and most likely a Champion) maybe you can shed some light into the plea for assistance with the Initiate here in DIY, specific to how the Covertech attaches to the Pommel?
And as for getting an Avenger, if Redeemer is a favoured Thin Neck, (equally) with two of those it kinda makes sense that an Order is already made right? ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unleashediv

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 2 weeks ago #67379

• OvrcAHst
stephen.morici wrote:
:lol: I can't remember if I mentioned it or not so nothing to forgive and I'll answer as if I didn't. Yes, brought it to their attention. They offered to send out a replacement Pommel. Haven't received it yet so don't know if it resolves it or doesn't. I did query why they didn't just send the metal Cog instead of a complete Pommel but that part of my query was skipped over and focused on a replacement Part was made. I want to say that I read somewhere once that the Cog was able to be separated from the actual Pommel but perhaps I am mistaken. :blush:
A small package was deposited in my Mailbox.

This is what was supplied stock from the original Order. So is problem resolved? Yup! sure is and with another problem now instead.

This is the received item. The reverse side of the Packing Slip even has an administration note specifically referencing 'Avenger Pommel Gray Weathered'. Observations:
What has been supplied is a weathered version (V2) without the Gray. So if V2 actually = V3 then why is there a colour scheme difference compared to stock inclusion versus replacement inclusion? Yes, the Cogs are now straight and they're black instead of Silver. The Body now weathered instead of Black. The Cog is in fact a separate Part that isn't sealed, which begs the question why the Cog only, couldn't have been sent. Possibly because this Pommel is a differently machined Part to the stock included Pommel that can't be separated. Yeah, I've got a New and extra Pommel now so I should shut-up? 'spose so. If blue weathered parts are okay with black weathered parts, then V2 is okay with V3.

When new Order's from Etsy, $400USD+$60USD for Shipping, Incoming Packing Slip is marked with $200 Insurance (50% less) with item Value still at $400. To buy a Pommel = $39.99USD ($40). When replacements are sent, insurance=zero and marked value is $20USD (50% less). I'm confused with the monetary worth between the two scenarios. What relevance does this have? Marked content Value & Insured content Value has a significant impact with Import Taxes and Duty. After currency conversions from USD to AUD (for Orders) still just keep on paying. Yay. More money to the Government just to enjoy some toys and less money unbudgeted for to continue to buy more toys.

Order now complete. One Franken-Bastard-Avenger V(insert any number here), ready to go.

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 2 weeks ago #67382

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
could you sand down the new pommel to achieve grey weathering? and hey, extra pommel! i think it actually looks good without the cogs.

if this were mine, i'd paint the whole thing satin black. excluding the greeblies of course. then i'd call it rhodey.

get it?

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 2 weeks ago #67384

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 512
OvrcAHst wrote:
When new Order's from Etsy, $400USD+$60USD for Shipping, Incoming Packing Slip is marked with $200 Insurance (50% less) with item Value still at $400. To buy a Pommel = $39.99USD ($40). When replacements are sent, insurance=zero and marked value is $20USD (50% less). I'm confused with the monetary worth between the two scenarios. What relevance does this have? Marked content Value & Insured content Value has a significant impact with Import Taxes and Duty.

The sender pays for insurance, so if SF is content with US$200 for insurance, then that's their call. If the USPS package goes missing, then it's no loss to you because SF will send you a new one anyway (or refund) but they might claim US$200 from their insurer. As for replacements, the one small item is probably not worth to insure (pay a nominal small premium, go through the paper work to file a claim with paid labor time involved). So I'm guessing the full sabers are insured to the value as SF sees proper, if they (not the customer) incur a missing package.
"I am the Senate"

V3 Avenger FFS SF|Story so far. Pt III 9 months 2 weeks ago #67388

• OvrcAHst
Gnost-Dural wrote:
could you sand down the new pommel to achieve grey weathering?
Difficult to achieve with the small crevices and with sanding it down, the process would have to be repeated for the rest of the Hilt. Am apprehensive to do so, 1: due to the brittle feel of this Hilt specifically (don't really want to go a test the durability of it virtually out of the box) and 2: because the V3 on this Hilt is quite faint, any further sanding will turn it into a V1. Sanding the Pommel might however resemble closer to another V3 I've got, but the Avenger Pommel ain't my favourite to go mixing and matching.
and hey, extra pommel! i think it actually looks good without the cogs.
Without Cog attached leaves a gap about 2mm thick and this Cogless Pommel looks too much like a door knob. Yeah could probably go the O-Ring route, but it still ends up being a door knob with an O-Ring. Spacely's Sprockets comes to mind.
if this were mine, i'd paint the whole thing satin black. excluding the greeblies of course. then i'd call it rhodey.
Black Avenger. The thought has crossed my mind. If I had an empty it would be on the TD List. Still exploring a way to insulate/protect a loaded Hilt from seepage/overrun to prevent rooting the internals. As for Rhodey?, I wanna say as a nod to Iron Patriot. If that's not it..
get it?
... then, No. :lol:

Execute66 wrote:
The sender pays for insurance, so if SF is content with US$200 for insurance, then that's their call. If the USPS package goes missing, then it's no loss to you because SF will send you a new one anyway (or refund) but they might claim US$200 from their insurer. As for replacements, the one small item is probably not worth to insure (pay a nominal small premium, go through the paper work to file a claim with paid labor time involved). So I'm guessing the full sabers are insured to the value as SF sees proper, if they (not the customer) incur a missing package.
Great defensive deflection with PR Mastery. Your selective answering is bang-on. Raspberry flavoured drinks go well with a burning Red Saber. Employee of the Month has been earned, as it was last Month. Keep up the great work. :whistle:
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5308
  • Latest Member: IanjAcure
  • Total Posts: 56.3k
  • Total Topics: 4718
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119