Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP)

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68681

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
Scale it down a bit, ignore the base flares, and the helmet should do fine. Build it out of 6mm foam, then use the really thin craft foam to detail it.

Barge Contact Cement is my usual go-to for durable foam bonding - but this was all rush-built with super glue. Holds just fine. Some KwikSeal to fill any seams that didn't glue properly, hit it with a heat gun to seal pores (if you have one) base coat of PlastiDip to seal any remaining pores.

For the Knights' visors, I'm using the same black screen door mesh I used for Kylo. Black, see-through, no fog, slightly easier to breath. If you're wanting a super-accurate Revan, though, you might need to settle for tinted plastic. Probably cut a 2L soda bottle and slap some tint on it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68683

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
I watched a few videos on the methods once you mentioned the EVA foam, so I'm all prepped to start mask/armor building some stuff this weekend (couldn't find a decent supplier near home so I took advantage of some Amazon Prime deals for the foam and adhesive). Still need to decide what I'm gonna build, but hoping to last-minute-rush a Halloween costume together.

Hope your Con goes well! You shouldn't have any lulls in things to do with these amazing costumes :P

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68684

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 260
Snakeeyz99 wrote:
I watched a few videos on the methods once you mentioned the EVA foam, so I'm all prepped to start mask/armor building some stuff this weekend (couldn't find a decent supplier near home so I took advantage of some Amazon Prime deals for the foam and adhesive). Still need to decide what I'm gonna build, but hoping to last-minute-rush a Halloween costume together.

Hope your Con goes well! You shouldn't have any lulls in things to do with these amazing costumes :P

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Kouri wrote:
Scale it down a bit, ignore the base flares, and the helmet should do fine. Build it out of 6mm foam, then use the really thin craft foam to detail it.

Barge Contact Cement is my usual go-to for durable foam bonding - but this was all rush-built with super glue. Holds just fine. Some KwikSeal to fill any seams that didn't glue properly, hit it with a heat gun to seal pores (if you have one) base coat of PlastiDip to seal any remaining pores.

For the Knights' visors, I'm using the same black screen door mesh I used for Kylo. Black, see-through, no fog, slightly easier to breath. If you're wanting a super-accurate Revan, though, you might need to settle for tinted plastic. Probably cut a 2L soda bottle and slap some tint on it.

I've got a guy who works with me whose done a little costume building in a similar manner, foam with rubber and plastic. We might team up on a full Revan armor. I think we'll start with the helmet/mask first...

MY guess is after the first of the year, so I'll be reading up and watching videos till then.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68685

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
I cleared out the Michael's near me of all the 1/4" foam they had - that's why the helmets are half black, half white. Couldn't really beat $0.99 per 9" x 12" sheet.

Needed more though, so also grabbed a few sheets from Jo Anns at twice the price.

Got a 1/4" camping mat on order that I'll chop up next time for fewer seams.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68696

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Upgrading the US Graflex in case we run into a Rey at MegaCon.

Black Series Luke clamp, Graflex 2.0 circuit board with a hidden tactile switch.

Grips are getting a fresh coat of paint.
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Kouri.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68720

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Unstable blade isn't as bright as my standard red dayblade, but it does it's job.

Rushing the detonators. With as many coats of acrylic they have, the foam should be safe from spray paints, so I'll try and hit them with filler primer to smooth the surface after the con. For now, they'll do as-is.

Slanty's got base colors started. Plan is a mix of the artwork. The entire front grenade section will be silver metallic, but only the currently gray parts will get the chrome paint I used on Kylo. The currently black squares will get a duller metal finish.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68722

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Here's a fun post I saw yesterday for what happens if you try to spray the primer and paint directly on the foam, for anyone wondering:

Might make for some cool deep-sea weathering effects, but probably not good for anything else.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68733

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 132
Snakeeyz99 wrote:
Here's a fun post I saw yesterday for what happens if you try to spray the primer and paint directly on the foam, for anyone wondering:

Might make for some cool deep-sea weathering effects, but probably not good for anything else.

No SW related, but that effect would look really cool on a bioshock 'big daddy' cosplay! :cheer:

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68734

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, the solvents in spray paint will straight up dissolve polystyrene foams (I've actually seen folks melt down styrofoam with acetone and pour it into a mold to make plastic castings), so if spraying is necessary, you'll want to seal the foam with a few coats of PVA glue and/or acrylic paint first.

Experimented a bit with super glue for the red eye/button - soaks into the foam and makes a hard shell. Wondering if I could've done that for the entire ball to stiffen it up.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68735

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Kouri wrote:
Yeah, the solvents in spray paint will straight up dissolve polystyrene foams (I've actually seen folks melt down styrofoam with acetone and pour it into a mold to make plastic castings), so if spraying is necessary, you'll want to seal the foam with a few coats of PVA glue and/or acrylic paint first.

Experimented a bit with super glue for the red eye/button - soaks into the foam and makes a hard shell. Wondering if I could've done that for the entire ball to stiffen it up.

The brush on superglue has an interesting effect on foam. It makes a pretty rigid layer on the surface. There's a very thin brush on glue I used to get at the hobby store, I can't remember the brand, and have used that in the past for some foam craft projects. Anyway, try the thinner glues, some of the brush on stuff (Gorilla glue brand in particular) is almost a gel and doesn't spread as nicely.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 3 weeks ago #68804

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Got all the helmets and blasters painted. Sewing in the morning.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 2 weeks ago #68859

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Lunch break at the con. No time to edit, but here's a shot with Fett

EDIT: Darkened and saturated. No painting over on the crossguard - it's just ridiculously brighter than the single-red saber on Slanty.
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Kouri.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Snakeeyz99, Borommakot, jonnys95s10

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 2 weeks ago #68908

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
LOOKOUT, THEY'VE GOT A WOOKIEE!

Still need to get the rest of the pics from our handler, but editing a couple of con photos. Updated the previous post with a color-corrected photo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 2 weeks ago #68921

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
You guys look awesome!

And MAN is that Kylo saber bright!

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 2 weeks ago #68926

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, I felt bad for Slanty, who just had the Red of a DX RGB going. It looks like a decent saber in-comparison, but it was just totally outmatched by the Tri-Cree Red.

~

Also, my guilty pleasure for the con was having the crossguard audio wired into my voicechanger portable amp. Folks would be at the con minding their own business, buying from the shops, when I'd ignite with a KRACKA-BOOM-HISS, and half the convention would jump. Made for a really nice signal for the Knights - who could barely see or hear. Saber goes on, pose for pics. Saber goes off, let's start moving.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 2 weeks ago #68928

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
HA! that's awesome! You are still using the BB board in there? The sound on that Kylo BB board is actually pretty awesome.

Not nearly as loud I'm sure, but I was doing a similar thing last night with my sabers, specifically the new Revan one, I have a Kylo font on there and the ignition is just sooooooo awesome. Would walk up to a group and ignite the saber making everyone jump and go "WOW...." I can only imagine the effect with a portable amp.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 2 weeks ago #68932

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, still the BB in there. Gonna modify the hilt with a recharge port and retire it to an eBay listing, using the funds to modify a BS Kylo into an accurate hilt with Igniter.

Then wire up a Sound Hornet to the portable amps for loud duels with a similarly equipped Igniter-Graflex.

To quote another Kylo that took a photo with the Knights and me:
Yea I remember when I was getting ready to take a pic with you u igniting saber and I was like Jesus that is loud and awesome!!!!i felt kylos rage

Actually had to order a dedicated volume slider just for the saber. Bare minimum volume made it obscenely loud, and maximum volume was blowing out the speakers with incomprehensible static booms. Saber was always louder than my voice through the amp.

Kylo Ren & Knights of Ren (Kouri's WIP) 7 months 2 weeks ago #68934

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Oh, that will be sweet having both sabers wired up like that.

You'll have to grab some video with audio once you get it all working.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• My First Comic Con (5 Posts)
    • Hi Guys and thanks, It was a great event for a small regional based show. The weather helped as...
    • Father's Day Sale (9 Posts)
    • It's not that I don't get Nolaan's point, nor did I disagree with the part about the time between...
    • Yeah, that was my thought too (15th and 30th is when I get my checks). But I get his point. If...
    • Ok so maybe longer, but a 25% off every 3-4 months is better imho than a constant 10-15%. It's not a...
    • 3-5 days isn't a good length for a sale, because some of us get paid every two weeks. By having one...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5240
  • Latest Member: ThomasNob
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4671
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 20
  • Yesterday Answer: 18