Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65409

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1716

Ares: God of War…

Standard Crystal Reveal Ares 12Watt+ Red

Delivery of a recent Purchase when it was first previewed on Etsy, the design whilst configured by ASP Parts has appeal and marvel, however what actually sold me was the Crystal Chamber. Red is my flavour so there wasn’t any further debate necessary with selecting the colour. It represents the Darkside, one of two sides (okay with Grey maybe 3) and Red exudes malevolence whilst projecting sinister power and aggression. Restraint and conflict, Excellent.

It was relatively quick, consistent to the quick-ship priority exercised, but no USPS Toblerone (as expected and preferred) as I requested to forfeit inclusion of Blade and Charger (this time) so the package was a USPS small rectangular box. While the design elements behind this Hilt is for duelling, this will be a Shelf Queen and I don’t need an extra blade or charger (blade possibly, charger definitely not). The rectangular box (regardless of small or large when I don’t forfeit blades) returns more durability and receives less potential damage compared to the toblerone.

SF short packed the Stand (again, mutha….!! And again it is still listed on the packing slip) and after advising SFCS, I declined for it to be sent separately. Didn’t have it to begin with, don’t have it to finish with. Even-stevens. Why items can’t be cross-checked when packing is beyond my comprehension. Made my peace, moving on.

With the inclusion of Rebel Emitter, a part I have always secretly been fascinated with, the Hilt worked aesthetically and was rather pleasing. Granted I could have easily purchased this at shopsaberparts picking the same pieces with the option of different finishes, however a primary factor overriding my apprehension was the inclusion (as standard) of a recharge port. To some, an easy addition as a short DIY. To me, something reserved for the ‘too-hard’ basket as electronics have never been my thing. Any opportunity present to simply plug in a recharge jack rather than fiddling with the internals for sake of battery removal is an advantage in my book and when this Hilt is not in hand and lays amongst its new siblings, a Kill Key is just too convenient and will be the obvious choice.

What was surprising as I unravelled the Hilt from the Bubble Blanket bound in from International travel, was the accessory colour scheme. The Blade Plug, Kill Key and Covertech supplied were Brass and more surprising still, the Kill Key was the favoured (not just me but by many) aluminium top with knurled edges. This suggests to me that they are in fact still available. Why they aren’t made readily available either in addition to the low profile lazerforge one remains a mystery to me.

A consistent Chamber design assembled with 3 teethed support rods in T7075 Aluminium. A generous exposure of the Crystal goodness however a minor difference with the function, which I shall elaborate on later.

A multi-vented Pommel not simply influences but dictates generous resonance and loud output.

Some Specs and Measurements:
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Red| Champion Tier| Sabercore2.0 Crimson Font| Standard Finish| Silver Red-lit AV Switch| Brass Kill Key, Blade Plug and Covertech.

Hilt Length Closed to Emitter Tip: 370mm (14.5669”)
Hilt Length Closed to Emitter Base: 310mm (12.2047”)
Hilt Length Closed to Blade Holder edge: 348mm (13.7007”)
Hilt Length Open: add 32.95mm (1.2972”) to above for relative measurements
Blade Socket Depth: 58mm (2.2834”)

Emitter Diameter: 40.94mm (1.6118”)
Tsuba Diameter: 61.03mm (2.4028”)
Choke Diameter: 34.62mm (1.3630”)
Switch w/out Guard & Body: 37.93mm (1.4933”)
Switch including Guard Plate: 42.97mm (1.6917”)
Pommel Diameter: 47.80mm (1.8819”) tapering down to 27.90mm (1.0984”)

Weight: 621Grams (21.9051Ounces/1.3691Pounds)

The Crystal Function on this Hilt is… interesting. Not Spring-Loaded like CRs (Redeemer/PS/Exalted) and not for complete unscrew like CR Guardian. It’s like a Spring-less version of the CR Thin Necks. This system/function/operation IMO is flawed. From hand tightened closed, 765Degree lefty-turn for the initial release and 790Degree total for assisted open i.e. you have to have a pull. There is a small set screw centred to the two round accents which tightens against the LED Module when completely opened and tightens against the teethed support rods when hand tightened closed. Anything in between when trying to align the direction of the Emitter has the set screw bite the support rods. More thought needed to go into this method of application. Not a completely successful execution.

As far as standard finishes go there’s not much that can be commented on. Silver and Black with some complimenting Brass. The blade retention screw doubles as Emitter retention. After completely removing the Blade retention set screw the Emitter is more a two-piece glued together as one Shroud that with removal reveals the cored flute of the blade holder. Nothing special. Sharp edges that will require softening to all the accent recesses right down to the multi-vented Pommel where it is at its sharpest. The pineapple grip, thought to be smoothest actually isn’t. This is a two handed Hilt. As a dueller, (if paired with a 37”blade) the long hilt and combined blade definitely will gain an advantage. Coming up later, images shown are a 32” which is also my preferred length with Blades.

Elaborating on what I consider to be design flaws.
Using the switch guard plate as dead-centre vertically, 1st image above is threaded Emitter closed and hand-tightened. Locking with the set screw is an option but isn’t necessary. The orientation of the Emitter is sideways with the larger surface area of the shroud facing towards to right (or backwards during dual grip). This, I conclude to be the striking setting.

The 2nd image above is threaded Emitter slightly opened. The orientation of the Emitter Shroud is centred (topside) to the switches alignment. Locking by set screw is required here however creates a long term and durability problem. It also creates a gap as the threads are unscrewed and because every part is either glued or screwed, the use of O-Rings or Timing Shims is not an option.

The 3rd image above is threaded Emitter opening a bit more still from 2nd images position. The orientation of the Emitter Shroud is centred (underside) to the switches alignment. Locking by set screw, again, is required and the same problems of gap and internal secure-point are present.

When the Chamber is completely Open (fully extended), locking by set screw is optional as this is the concluded display position/setting. The tightened set screw actually fastens against the LED Modules Heatsink inside. When the Chamber is closed and if wanting to align the orientation of the Emitter Shroud dictated by your preference in handling, the set screw fastens against the teeth of the support rods. Unsure if the image above illustrates what I mean but circled are the chips/bites/indentations just from unscrewing from locked set screw closed position as it was sent to me. This little jaggered edge cannot be easily sanded or filed because of the teeth and because there is an interruption to the teeth, it creates a hindered, almost stuttered affect when opening the Chamber. An unwelcomed unstable effect.

My first impressions was that the Low Profile Guarded Switch Plate added a nice overall aesthetic to the design. After continued handling and experimenting, I have concluded that this becomes an obvious snag-point. If primary hand placement between the top of the guarded plate and Tsuba’s base is fixed, as is the secondary hand over the pineapple grip is fixed, no problem however (unless I’m just doing it wrong) your grip naturally loosens and hand transitions occur and both the Covertech and switch plate become a hindering identifier. Removing the Covertech is easy. The switch plate, notso much. I would have probably liked to see the Switch Part used absent of the guarded plate. It would further streamline the look of the Hilt and actually heighten the ergonomics of it as well.

The other observation is that the switch plate is the only piece on the entire hilt that kind of sticks out. In exterior lines for one and for two, it’s media blasted and anodised Silver, so the frosty-sherbety finish is back which kind of throws the overall finish since everywhere else is Silver aluminium or Black anodise.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by OvrcAHst.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Borommakot, DK44, Andi-Jae EL, KiakahiSonic7

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65410

• OvrcAHst
Extra credit and merit due because this larger than normal Hilt isn’t as heavy as others and when overcoming some minor ergonomic challenges, is quite remarkable. The Chamber isn’t anything different to the CR Thin Necks however a notable mention is the uncompromised brightness. This is measured by the glare emitting from the open Chamber as to from the Emitter and with inserted blade. The placement of the LED Module is consistent to inside the Emitters base with the Module actually seated on top of the Chamber housing. Nothing but the beautiful glow of Red (shame that Medium Red and Deep Red hadn’t been released yet at the time but), doesn’t disappoint. Very acceptable as a colour, I don’t think its Orange.. it’s Red.

When opening the Chamber to have an additional glow-point, the blades illumination and brightness doesn’t lessen. This I find favourable as by comparison, the CR Thin Necks (that are still satisfactory) do lessen during activation with an opened Chamber. **Insert Thumbs-Up for Ares here.**

SF Blue Day Blade. Underwhelming.
The darkness around the blade begins to harness its negative energy.

SF Infinity V4. The darkness has been absorbed and the untempered
and rising hatred is beginning to fuel itself.

SF Day Blade Amber, Yellow and Red.
Power unrestrained. This is mid-afternoon. Rage is rising. Getting Hot.

Extraordinary. A Wild-Card piece, integrated into a Collection. Thank you with looking in.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by OvrcAHst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, DarthTtocs, SuUpberSith, Muns, KiakahiSonic7

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65420

• jml5308
  • Thank you received: 20
I completely agree with the design flaw on the crystal chamber and the set screw. The biting into the support rod is really annoying. And opening the chamber isn't always a fluid operation either. It's definitely something that should be re-looked at.

But don't get me wrong, I love this saber. This is probably my only real gripe about it; anything else for me is very minor.

Nice review!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65424

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 654
I enjoyed reading the write-up. Good report! and of course, beautiful saber.

You really like your Crystal Chambers!

The Rebel Emitter's insertion depth is on the deeper side. I assembled an ASP hilt using it and noticed a 37 inch blade gets inserted more than normal compared with other SF emitters. So that helps if you prefer a shorter exposed blade length.

The thing about the Saberforge Red is this: the LED color by itself when on is red, but the effect with the standard V4 Infinity blade makes it look more orangey-red. That's the difference. Red is also my favorite color. I am doing an ASP version of the Ares with all the same parts and with Deep Red (but can swap LED out anyway).

Congratz, have fun!
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Execute66.

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65426

• Darth Nelo Angelo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Another quality looking saber.. You are becoming quite the connoisseur of crystal chamber reveal sabers..

How many do you have now? :whistle:

Curious. How did you request the forfeiting of the blade and charger? Was it cheaper to order and ship?
" The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Darth Nelo Angelo.

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65427

• KiakahiSonic7
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 81
The Crystal Function on this Hilt is… interesting. Not Spring-Loaded like CRs (Redeemer/PS/Exalted) and not for complete unscrew like CR Guardian. It’s like a Spring-less version of the CR Thin Necks. This system/function/operation IMO is flawed. From hand tightened closed, 765Degree lefty-turn for the initial release and 790Degree total for assisted open i.e. you have to have a pull. There is a small set screw centred to the two round accents which tightens against the LED Module when completely opened and tightens against the teethed support rods when hand tightened closed. Anything in between when trying to align the direction of the Emitter has the set screw bite the support rods. More thought needed to go into this method of application. Not a completely successful execution.
Elaborating on what I consider to be design flaws.
Using the switch guard plate as dead-centre vertically, 1st image above is threaded Emitter closed and hand-tightened. Locking with the set screw is an option but isn’t necessary. The orientation of the Emitter is sideways with the larger surface area of the shroud facing towards to right (or backwards during dual grip). This, I conclude to be the striking setting.

The 2nd image above is threaded Emitter slightly opened. The orientation of the Emitter Shroud is centred (topside) to the switches alignment. Locking by set screw is required here however creates a long term and durability problem. It also creates a gap as the threads are unscrewed and because every part is either glued or screwed, the use of O-Rings or Timing Shims is not an option.

The 3rd image above is threaded Emitter opening a bit more still from 2nd images position. The orientation of the Emitter Shroud is centred (underside) to the switches alignment. Locking by set screw, again, is required and the same problems of gap and internal secure-point are present.
When the Chamber is completely Open (fully extended), locking by set screw is optional as this is the concluded display position/setting. The tightened set screw actually fastens against the LED Modules Heatsink inside. When the Chamber is closed and if wanting to align the orientation of the Emitter Shroud dictated by your preference in handling, the set screw fastens against the teeth of the support rods. Unsure if the image above illustrates what I mean but circled are the chips/bites/indentations just from unscrewing from locked set screw closed position as it was sent to me. This little jaggered edge cannot be easily sanded or filed because of the teeth and because there is an interruption to the teeth, it creates a hindered, almost stuttered affect when opening the Chamber. An unwelcomed unstable effect.
My first impressions was that the Low Profile Guarded Switch Plate added a nice overall aesthetic to the design. After continued handling and experimenting, I have concluded that this becomes an obvious snag-point. If primary hand placement between the top of the guarded plate and Tsuba’s base is fixed, as is the secondary hand over the pineapple grip is fixed, no problem however (unless I’m just doing it wrong) your grip naturally loosens and hand transitions occur and both the Covertech and switch plate become a hindering identifier. Removing the Covertech is easy. The switch plate, notso much. I would have probably liked to see the Switch Part used absent of the guarded plate. It would further streamline the look of the Hilt and actually heighten the ergonomics of it as well.

The other observation is that the switch plate is the only piece on the entire hilt that kind of sticks out. In exterior lines for one and for two, it’s media blasted and anodised Silver, so the frosty-sherbety finish is back which kind of throws the overall finish since everywhere else is Silver aluminium or Black anodise.

Excellent and thorough review, OvrcAHst. Unbiased and detailed. So, in light of the issues with the crystal reveal, would you recommend the non-crystal Ares or the crystal Ares as a dueling saber (I go full-contact and tend to use a lot of force in my swings as am relatively strong)?
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by KiakahiSonic7. Reason: Improving on use of Quotes

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65428

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Good thorough review as usual OvrcAHst! This saber is definitely on my must have list, the design and overall look of it is magnificent (although I probably won't get the crystal reveal). Good choice on the red LED for this saber, it goes well with it! Awesome that they sent you the old style kill key! I'm still trying to track down a silver one........Congrats & Enjoy!

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65430

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 356
Very nice. Even with the design issues you are having with this hilt it is still a fantastic saber. Love the red LED and brass accents as well. Congrats OvrcAhst!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65439

• OvrcAHst
Thank you All with stopping by and taking the time out to read what I shared.

jml5308 wrote:
I completely agree with the design flaw on the crystal chamber and the set screw. The biting into the support rod is really annoying. And opening the chamber isn't always a fluid operation either. It's definitely something that should be re-looked at.
But don't get me wrong, I love this saber. This is probably my only real gripe about it; anything else for me is very minor. Nice review!
Thank You. In a sense, the set screw isn't needed. What it has going for it is the threads are quite generous (more so when compared to the spring-loaded CR Thin Necks (mainly), except for the CR PS that is quite shallow). When hand tightened, it ain't going anywhere and I don't foresee it unscrewing during wield. I mean, with Chamber open, I highly doubt it would be duelled with (regardless of intensity) which is where the set screw is required but it does also greatly depend on the orientation of the Emitter.

Execute66 wrote:
I enjoyed reading the write-up. Good report! and of course, beautiful saber. You really like your Crystal Chambers!
:lol: Thanks Ex. Yeah, am a bit (probably more than a bit actually) of a Crystal Groupie.
The Rebel Emitter's insertion depth is on the deeper side. I assembled an ASP hilt using it and noticed a 37 inch blade gets inserted more than normal compared with other SF emitters. So that helps if you prefer a shorter exposed blade length.

The thing about the Saberforge Red is this: the LED color by itself when on is red, but the effect with the standard V4 Infinity blade makes it look more orangey-red. That's the difference. Red is also my favorite color. I am doing an ASP version of the Ares with all the same parts and with Deep Red (but can swap LED out anyway).
Congratz, have fun!
Much like when you fan an open flame (or squirt some more accelerant onto it) the Redness of said fire will fluctuate.
Haven't completed further experimentation yet as for the sake of this Review I limited blade use to SF supplied ones. Agreed about the Redness of a bladeless socket and when compared with an inserted blade. The Blades polycarb compound and film will alter quite dramatically the diffusion and resulting illumination. Am yet to try with a Saberz blade and the VV variants including their enhanced Day Blades. Possibly a future update will be had.

I have noticed, just this morning, that Ares (Crystal and Non) has been added to Main Site's Lineup. This will further enable more customising I guess but the extra options are marginal. If you're building from ASP, it will obviously not include the glory of a Crystal, so yeah QCs is an option. It's also up to you about (my debate) recharge port or absence of.

Darth Nelo Angelo wrote:
Another quality looking saber.. You are becoming quite the connoisseur of crystal chamber reveal sabers..
Guilty! :lol:
How many do you have now? :whistle:
Sabers in total or Crystal Chambered Sabers? :huh:
Curious. How did you request the forfeiting of the blade and charger? Was it cheaper to order and ship?
Order Comments in uppercase, much like when you enter the Bonus items relative to whatever Promo you Purchase under. No. The forfeit has no bearing on total price or shipping fee. These are standard inclusions and the prices both for the Hilt and Shipping allow for this. Dismissing the inclusion is of my own choosing.

KiakahiSonic7 wrote:
Excellent and thorough review, OvrcAHst. Unbiased and detailed. So, in light of the issues with the crystal reveal, would you recommend the non-crystal Ares or the crystal Ares as a dueling saber (I go full-contact and tend to use a lot of force in my swings as am relatively strong)?
Thank you. This is a good question and a difficult one to answer. A closed Crystal version is essentially the Non Crystal Version. Differences that the unscrewable thread (from base of Emitter) is either factory glued and set or not. You also have the flexibility (as discussed on your other Thread) with QC LEDs or not. With reference to my reply to jml5308 up top, the threads are quite secure and generous. Will really come down to what appeals to you with the Crystal.

Both are equally suitable for duelling and the new Crystal Chamber system reflects this. From a duelling perspective though, whilst the tsuba is comfortable against the top of your closed fist (tapered versus squared=no brainer really), the small exposed open flange is only 10mm. As a defensive piece, your knuckles (while free from abrasions of self infliction) will still be open for attack and contact. Have read from other Members also from User experience that the Emitter Shroud isn't as durable in combat as it gets banged up rather easily.

There's no clear definition to benefits of one over the other unfortunately during the extreme duelling actions and conditions you're used to.

DK44 wrote:
Good thorough review as usual OvrcAHst! This saber is definitely on my must have list, the design and overall look of it is magnificent (although I probably won't get the crystal reveal). Good choice on the red LED for this saber, it goes well with it! Awesome that they sent you the old style kill key! I'm still trying to track down a silver one........Congrats & Enjoy!
Thank you DK. :lol: Your chances with acquiring an older knurled Kill Key may improve if you didn't limit your preference to just a Silver one. Whatever you can successfully get, a spot spray of primer followed by *insert any colour here* of automotive spray will have you sorted. You can even use automotive touch-up paint with the little brush applicator if you're not too fussed about the brush strokes from application.

Greysider wrote:
Very nice. Even with the design issues you are having with this hilt it is still a fantastic saber. Love the red LED and brass accents as well. Congrats OvrcAhst!
Thank you Greysider. Red. The only colour, representative of the Darkside, the only side? :whistle: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KiakahiSonic7

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65441

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 654
I like Crystals, it's a very nice effect but I can do without depending on the saber (I have only the Monarch and incoming Redeemer with Crystals). On the Ares it looks very nice. For my Ares, it will be an ASP version because I already have its ASP body and ASP pommel (I changed my mind about another ASP design, and when Ares was launched, it coincidentally featured these two spare ASP components I already have).

Justicar is up at the main site now too. Probably to follow Emerald Knight and Forsaken.

That Rebel Emitter is neat work. The Switch Section 8 looks good. You can remove the cover shield by inserting an Allen wrench at that button screw in between your switch and kill-key if you ever need to access anything beneath.
"I am the Senate"

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65442

• OvrcAHst
OvrcAHst wrote:
KiakahiSonic7 wrote:
Thank you. This is a good question and a difficult one to answer. A closed Crystal version is essentially the Non Crystal Version. Differences that the unscrewable thread (from base of Emitter) is either factory glued and set or not. You also have the flexibility (as discussed on your other Thread) with QC LEDs or not. With reference to my reply to jml5308 up top, the threads are quite secure and generous. Will really come down to what appeals to you with the Crystal.

Both are equally suitable for duelling and the new Crystal Chamber system reflects this. From a duelling perspective though, whilst the tsuba is comfortable against the top of your closed fist (tapered versus squared=no brainer really), the small exposed open flange is only 10mm. As a defensive piece, your knuckles (while free from abrasions of self infliction) will still be open for attack and contact. Have read from other Members also from User experience that the Emitter Shroud isn't as durable in combat as it gets banged up rather easily.

There's no clear definition to benefits of one over the other unfortunately during the extreme duelling actions and conditions you're used to.
To elaborate on this a bit more, much like Donnie Yen and Jet Li in Hero determined the victor through battle meditation and foresight (I am not like any of them either), I arrived at a plausible conclusion (maybe).

Even though both are equally suitable i.e. crystal vs non crystal, purely from an engineering perspective (if the snag points, tsuba and Rebel emitter can be overlooked) I'm inclined to favour a non crystal for intense/heavy/aggressive duelling. A hilts shaft strength and centre core with less will always have durability outweighing one with more especially when the more i.e. the crystal and chamber can become loose parts.

Through repeated handling, hand transitions and grip adjustments during combat, the emitter firmly glued and secured will IMO trump a hand tightened thread that will/may eventually loosen.

My biggest apprehension catering for intense duelling is the Rebel emitter itself. Granted fast swings, parry and deflections can be exercised however if ever the blade on blade contact runs the length of the blade (in a downward strike against you) the multi-layered fluted design with a decorative shroud will receive regular disfiguring.

With an inserted 37" blade, the combined length (with seated blade) = 124cm and weight = 897Grams. Using a handy (and trusty) pack of on-hand skittles, I hope the following illustrates where the balance is.

Now I know Red isn't your colour, but at 1.30pm on a Sunny Sunday afternoon, indoors with blinds/curtains drawn (on a black background ;) ), illumination on a 37" is unbroken and consistent. Noted there is base flare but I see that as an attribute of SFs Quad Cree LED. I don't mind base flare.

Similar to kicking a field goal, Laces Out!! (Finkle/Einhorn :lol: ) when it comes to what I consider as 'normal orientation' during duels is (presuming you're a righty as I am and right hand is the primary forward hand with left being the secondary/assist hand) using the 1st image of the three further up as reference, the switch facing me (covertech on under, opposite side) the longest edge of the emitter shroud points towards my forearm with the shorter shroud edge and blade holder flute facing forwards towards the closed fingers, so basically striking with the shorter edge and defending with the longer edge (if that makes sense). When the Emitter thread is completely hand tightened (regardless of set screw tightened or not) this is the default 'closed' position and orientation of the Emitter.

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65443

• OvrcAHst
Execute66 wrote:
You can remove the cover shield by inserting an Allen wrench at that button screw in between your switch and kill-key if you ever need to access anything beneath.
This is true, however it's limited to an ASP configured assembly from shopsaberparts where not just the pieces but the electronics are provided separately for assembly. When purchased Built, removing the screw will undoubtedly enable loosening of the Guarded Plate, but this falls under the category of modifying the Hilt that results in voiding your Warranty.

As a Built Hilt, these parts are also glued, Switches (sometimes) similarly so and gaining access as suggested will likely sever solder points or break existing factory wiring. A weigh-up for the sake of a recharge Port I 'spose.

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65448

• Darth Nelo Angelo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
My question was originally regarding crystal reveal sabers, but it would be interesting to know how many you have, standard and reveals..

Thanks for the advice on forfeiting the blade and charger.. Might look into that on my next purchase..
" The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65452

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
You took this saber (which for some reason looked very light-side to me), got the Crystal Reveal option, and then made it very RED. Analysis = Better than what I would have imagined. Yours definitely looks better than the first pictures I saw.

I wondered how sharp that pommel would be to hold. I think of the grenade section on the Redeemer that is a a little rougher to hold segmented as it is and imagine this to be similar with bigger square segments.

That retention screw hitting the teeth is troubling though.

Must...resist....the...urge...to...say.....sorry.

(Sorry about that, ah, I feel better).

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65454

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
very noice! congrats and excellent review as always.

cheers!

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65455

• OvrcAHst
Darth Nelo Angelo wrote:
My question was originally regarding crystal reveal sabers, but it would be interesting to know how many you have, standard and reveals..
:lol: As of now, let's just say what is owned is represented by what has been Reviewed. If you include my very first Review of a unique Curved Hilt in Other Sabers (Va'-cuum Cle`Ner) it's 9 Crystal Chambered but since it's just a vented crystal-less chamber and that was for play, let's not. However the total number.. is more than 20.. :blush: I will eventually get to a Group Shot once I'm in the final stretch as also eventually (and likely inevitably) some may eventually be sold and moved on from the Hive.
Thanks for the advice on forfeiting the blade and charger.. Might look into that on my next purchase..
Too easy, happy to help. :)

HotRod wrote:
You took this saber (which for some reason looked very light-side to me), got the Crystal Reveal option, and then made it very RED. Analysis = Better than what I would have imagined. Yours definitely looks better than the first pictures I saw.
Thank you HotRod. What looks Light is actually very Dark is the very definition of the Power of the Darkside. Uncertainly Deceptive. There is Darkside in all of us, Can you feel it? :evil:
I wondered how sharp that pommel would be to hold. I think of the grenade section on the Redeemer that is a little rougher to hold segmented as it is and imagine this to be similar with bigger square segments.
Bare hands, it's not pleasant. Along the Body the recessed accents are pretty shallow but with the Pommel itself, they are actually cut-outs so the edges are actually more defined. I'm comfortable with the tight segmented grenade of Redeemer, much as I am with PS. Body7 I'm not unfamiliar with as it's the same piece used on Custom Monarch and that was exceptionally smooth as too was comfortable. The larger segments ain't that bad ordinarily, but still sharp on this Finish (or unfinished Part).
That retention screw hitting the teeth is troubling though.
Yeah.. don't disagree with you. Seems like such an oversight that could have been easily avoided.
Must...resist....the...urge...to...say.....sorry.
(Sorry about that, ah, I feel better).
:lol: :lol: Hahahaha. Reading this part made me laugh. There may be more yet to come. It's almost like there's an echo in the Forum...

... orum.. :whistle:

Gnost-Dural wrote:
very noice! congrats and excellent review as always.
cheers!
Thank Gnost. :)

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65457

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Really nice saber and you must have snagged that up quick once it was announced! Nice to see you received the old brass kill key (I really like those). The brass covertech also matches nicely and breaks up the color a little bit. Nice to see your collection growing and adding another new member to the family! Enjoy it this weekend!
- Light em up

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65460

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
That's an absolutely beautiful saber. Despite it being in Standard finish, you've somehow told a story with it. I guess that's what makes this the 'story so far'!

But seriously, that's an awesome saber. I'd probably have picked one up myself if I wasn't already saving money.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 4 months ago #65489

• OvrcAHst
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
Really nice saber and you must have snagged that up quick once it was announced! Nice to see you received the old brass kill key (I really like those). The brass covertech also matches nicely and breaks up the color a little bit. Nice to see your collection growing and adding another new member to the family! Enjoy it this weekend!
Thanks Andi. Yeah.. :blush: it was pretty quick. Here I was one night browsing the Web and open a link for SF Etsy and well.. quite possibly an impulse-buy.

Eddlyss64 wrote:
That's an absolutely beautiful saber. Despite it being in Standard finish, you've somehow told a story with it. I guess that's what makes this the 'story so far'!
But seriously, that's an awesome saber. I'd probably have picked one up myself if I wasn't already saving money.
:lol: Story so far.. k'd, 'cos I'd have to be right? Would you have seen this in your hands with a different finish for your despite comment? Thank you with sharing your true identity too. Is that cheesy grin to be your new avatar image? the face that has been hidden under the hood all this time? :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL

V1 CR Ares SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 2 months ago #68034

• OvrcAHst
Cus|tom|ising|sy: When you feel like doing it just because
Cus|tom|mise: to modify or build according to individual or personal specifications or preference.

A blood-shot eye of a key-hole.

Drilled two holes into the Rebel Shroud and cut lines between the two outer circumferences to create the larger hole. Repeated the same on the inner flute with smaller holes, result? A key-hole that bleeds a stupid-bright Red. Good thing I wasn’t going for precision cuts with perfectly straight edges ‘cos my hands aren’t as steady as I remember them to be.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Cerakote Superheroes! (4 Posts)
    • Wow those are pretty sweet! :)
    • Installing blade (2 Posts)
    • Hi Hutch013 there should be a set screw in the emitter [attachment] you should have received an...
    • Battery (2 Posts)
    • Hi Ronnok I believe the veteran tier, both versions, will come with a charge port and charger.
    • Sabercore 3.0 Swing Issue... (11 Posts)
    • Yep, all the settings definitely save. I will lock them all in again though. What do you mean by...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6245
  • Latest Member: ieushelly302826
  • Total Posts: 62.7k
  • Total Topics: 5270
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 41