Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Epoch.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 11 months ago #16559

• Darth-Garth
  • Thank you received: 1
This is my very first saber and I have to say I am very impressed with it. The pictures of the hilt online don't do it justice. I don't know what I was expecting but the size is just perfect, for using two hands or one. The choke point is really comfortable and makes for easy spins even with the 37 inch blade. I heard other people talk about the weight of their sabers being heavier than they expected but this weight just felt perfect, not too heavy and not too light. It just feels right.

I noticed the section where the windows are is it's own section and when I first got it mine was very loose, even with tightening the blade retention screw and the LED screw and it was very annoying when swinging the saber. I ended up taking it out to check out the quick disconnects I had ordered, put the windowed section back and everything fit perfectly. I have to say it was a real pain in the @rse getting it back together but when I finally got it, it seemed to fit better than before, no more wobbling in the hilt and it felt really sturdy. I can see why it'd be wobbly if whoever put it together didn't get it just right, but I don't think I'll be taking off the LED anytime soon (Unless I give in and upgrade to the 12w+).

Now I'm probably being nitpicky but as the film in the blade doesn't go all the way to the base it can look a little odd through the window emitters when the blade isn't turned on as you can see the gap where the film isn't in place. With the blade plug in there isn't a problem.

I've seen a lot of people say how they prefer a 32 inch blade. I'm about 180cm tall and I got the 37 inch blade and I think it's perfect for this hilt as it sits in quite deep. My next saber is the Bane (already ordered) and I chose the 32 inch blade as I don't think it sits as deep as it does in the Epoch. I could imagine the 37 inch blade being too long on some sabers.

I've only got the 12w deep blue LED but I saw Marik Starlight had posted what the new Epoch looks like in many more  colours (and with a kickass finish too).

Overall I'd give this a 9.5 out of 10. I love this saber and if you're looking at getting the new Epoch, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

EDIT: Sorry for the low quality pics. Every time I tried to upload higher quality ones the forum seemed to have a fit.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Darth-Garth.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 11 months ago #16563

• Lord Callous
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not without mercy. Surrender and you may live."
  • Thank you received: 61
Great review! Nice looking saber. B)

*32 for the Bane is the way to go. I have a 37 (Only because I forgot to request the change on my Etsy order.) and I feel like it's too heavy for the hilt.
"Destiny is a lie. Fate is the falsest of hopes. I am beyond prophecy. I forge my own path by making the difficult choices..."

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 11 months ago #16564

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
  • Judge me by my size, do you?
  • Thank you received: 22
The blade issue does not strike me as one, unless after you fixed it, it'd still wobble. But it seems to be holding and the "defect" is only visible when it's not lit and when you pay extra close attention to that exact part of the lightsaber, so I wouldn't worry much about its dueling capacity ;)

Great review! Thanks for sharing your lightsaber with us :)

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 11 months ago #16567

• Darth-Garth
Lord Callous wrote:
Great review! Nice looking saber. B)

*32 for the Bane is the way to go. I have a 37 (Only because I forgot to request the change on my Etsy order.) and I feel like it's too heavy for the hilt.

Thank you!

After posting the review I did end up playing with it for a few more hours (I just couldn't put it down) and found it was getting a bit heavy on the wrist when trying harder spins.

I've just ordered a Bane with a 32 inch blade, so I'll have to try the 32 out in the Epoch and see how it goes.

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 11 months ago #16568

• Darth-Garth
Faethien wrote:
The blade issue does not strike me as one, unless after you fixed it, it'd still wobble. But it seems to be holding and the "defect" is only visible when it's not lit and when you pay extra close attention to that exact part of the lightsaber, so I wouldn't worry much about its dueling capacity ;)

Great review! Thanks for sharing your lightsaber with us :)

The blade itself wasn't the issue but the window emitter itself. I'm glad it was an easy fix because before that every time I moved the hilt I felt and heard it rattle around.

And with the 'defect', I hardly notice it now (partly because I've got the blade lit most of the time), and it doesn't bother me anymore.

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 10 months ago #19009

• Cghinds
I still think this is the best looking of the SF sabers, I'd like to see one of these in mint green.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slenaas

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 7 months ago #24059

• Marik Starlight
  • Thank you received: 13
Woot! I got a shout out!
Following blindly leads to darkness..

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 7 months ago #24071

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1096
The Epoch is a great saber, no doubt about it! When my son started earning his own money, the first thing he wanted to buy with it was his own saber, and out of all the choices available, he chose the Epoch. When he placed his order, the V2 version was still available, but during the wait time, they transitioned into the V3 model, and he was overjoyed when he received it! He has a Bane, and the Epoch, and though he won't admit it, I think he prefers the Epoch out of the two.

As for the diffusion film not going all the way to the bottom, I think that is not normally an issue as that part of the blade is usually hidden in the emitter. However, since the windows on the Epoch are so long, they reveal that spot. I do have an idea for you that would help I think.

If you order a blade intended for a thin-neck saber, the film is not glued down at all. You have to be careful when inserting the blade so that it does not fall out during the process, but that would take care of the dark spot. The only potential downside would be, depending on how the diffusion film is trimmed, it might create a slight gap at the tip, rather than the emitter window. You might be able to ask in the order notes to NOT trim that .5 inch off, so that you have film from top, to bottom, and that would definitely solve it.

Just a thought.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 7 months ago #25147

• tracker9685
  • Thank you received: 8
Beautiful hilt. Id love to see what a duel tone finish with a purple LED looks like. Thats what i hope to get as my first saber.

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 5 months ago #33534

• slenaas
  • Thank you received: 6
Cghinds wrote:
I still think this is the best looking of the SF sabers, I'd like to see one of these in mint green.

I have to agree with this ^. Even though I ordered a consular as a "starting point" for my collection, this one really tugged at me to get. Event though I only just ordered both of mine over the last 2 weeks, I'm very thrilled about what I am hearing and am looking forward to unboxing mine.
Blades:

1. Consular yellow

2015 champion Epoch w/ 12w deep blue LED 1 year 5 months ago #33603

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
*Dang-it* yet another very appealing saber and another added to my wishlist. This is fast becoming a money pit..
The following user(s) said Thank You: slenaas
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber loses power when le... (4 Posts)
    • Yes, depending on the LEDs you will need resistors. What are you running?
    • i use the battery saberforege offers, the 18650 3.7 v i very carefully soldered it to the wires and...
    • Sounds like the PCB is being tripped. Did you wire the battery yourself? What battery is it?
    • Prism V5 Accent LED pads.... (2 Posts)
    • There is a config file called LED.txt that manages the accent LEDs. The manual has a good section...
    • Saberforge Sentinel &... (9 Posts)
    • Yeah, me too probably. Still, it's a cool blade. It would look really awesome in the Gladius hilt....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5319
  • Latest Member: Nickyskams
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4721
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 7
  • Yesterday Answer: 11