Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ANH: #5/100

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86353

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1915
Vader Fans, so this went and happened..
Haven’t done a comprehensive writeup for a long while since more of the recent posts have been Glam-SPAMMED Pic Galleries. This will still contain the latter, so here goes..

..The Saberforge MPP MK1 Dual Crystal Reveal.
MK1, (ANH setup) since the shorter grips and clamp lever with no exposed wires were its features of difference
(and because I have a MPP already in ESB setup).

Initial out-of-box impressions weren’t filled with too much excitement.
As Vader Hilts go, it’s an acceptable alternative.

The anodised body parts are consistent over the entire hilt body and are of the semi-gloss finished version. (Having had ASP parts in all black before, I’ve seen the matte black version too and sometimes a mixture of both contrasting against each other).

The chromed parts on this are virtually flawless and are quite well executed. High polish mirrored finish that compliments nicely and aids to the appeal for effective aesthetics.

The nasal ring greeblie on the topside of the emitter is probably the only oddly used finish. It’s media blasted (you know, that frosty, sparkly finish commonly used on parts like say the Katano shroud) not my favourite and just sticks out against the other chromed or anodised surfaces.

ASP Blade Plug 4 makes a comeback here that’s reasonably complimented with the detailing of the blade holder.

The clamp card/bubble strip and the switch box (pencil sharpener) is lacking in any great detail. Edges are squared and the corners meet to a point, enough to make general handling uncomfortable. Not much to look at either. Just kinda plain. A big improvement to say the line of circles on the Redeemer V2’s clamp card but within itself… still falls short as a plastic part of no great substance or detail.

The lower grip body. Shall elaborate more on this a little later. Basic accessibility sees the knurled edge pommel ring securing the removable grip body which itself is threaded to the lower body that integrates a glued on vented grill. The threads on this part are a little gritty and slightly hinder the opening/closing function to reveal the second crystal.

Measurements:
Hilt Length (pommel to forward emitter slant): 290mm
Hilt length (pommel to rear emitter slant): 255mm
Body (chromed section) Outer Diameter: 38.19mm
Body (clamp section) Outer Diameter: 43.14mm
Body (T-grips) Outer Diameter: 47.77mm
Blade socket depth (to top of LED heatsink): 30.63mm
Weight (Empty Kit): 585grams

Switch section Internal Diameter: 28.68mm
Internal Length (switch section to vented grill): 143.16mm
Internal Length (switch section to internal RCP mount): 114.55mm

Setscrew sizes used: 8/32; 10/32 (2 socketheads inside switch block); and the one size down from 8/32 (idk as I don’t keep my allenkeys in their labelled holders anymore) for the removal of threaded parts/adapters.

*there’s a C-shaped block that swivels freely inside that lines up to the inner bodies 12mm switch hole that accommodates the recharge port. This C-shaped block whilst rotating freely (after the retention setscrew is loosened) doesn’t actually slide out or rather cant (that I could identify) so the useable length for internals is limited. The Glued vented grill can likely be removed to enable the speaker to sit between said grill and the C-block.

The four sides of the MPP.
Everything topside is basically a greeblie or part of the emitter shroud that slots over the blade holder.

A single blade retention setscrew on the shrouds underside just above the chrome body.

7 little recessed accent grooves (would be filled with aesthetic wires on the MKII) on the neck of the chromed top section, 6 horizontal and 1 vertical. When the saber is closed, the LED heatsink slides of internally and seals them. Only when the forward crystal chamber is opened (& the LED module retracts as it’s threaded to the top of the crystal chamber) that residual light creates shinethrough with the recessed accent grooves.

The clamp lever is basically a nut with a female threaded end that secures the bolt that feeds through the switch box and secures the bubble strip card. 7 angled cut T-grips glued to the circumference of the lower body fasten upwards by the pommel ring.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, DK44, scifidude79

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86354

• OvrcAHst
Empty Kit disassembled.

Top body/blade holder and emitter shroud.

To resemble the spring coil that would typically adorn the inner edge of the blade holder, little grooves have been laser cut around the circumference. Nice little detail.

The chrome plating is pretty cool. For those that are unaware, high polished/plated surfaces are magnets for fingerprints, smudges and surface blemishes. Handle with care I ‘spose..

Female threads on this forward piece. The assembly of this is virtually the same premise adopted with the other Crystal Reveal Sabers (of Ares, Prodigal Son, Redeemer, Exalted) with one difference, the crystal chamber type and how the LED module threads above it. An internal double male adapter is what holds the foregrip to the switch section and is timed with 4 clocking shims.

As it stands as an empty kit, it has its drawbacks. Since there’s no stopper either on the threads or otherwise, it allows free screwing of the internal adapter either too far into the foregrip then leaving insufficient threads to tighten into the switch section. A problem similarly shared with staves and a low profile coupler, when it’s tightened it holds but come the time to loosen, one end will be favoured which will result in the other being stuck and not having enough surface area to grab the adapter to unscrew from the fixed side. Tightening or loosening doesn’t guarantee which side you want to tighten or loosen as well.
This part is frustratingly tedious, fiddly and the shims add to the stubbornness.

The crystal chamber threads into the switch section of the saber and is held secure with a single retention setscrew inside the switch box. I’ve seen this before where a setscrew tightens into the threads of another part.
Not the best solution.

This end is where the LED module/heatsink (also in the media blasted finish)
screws/threads onto of the crystal chamber.

The internal double male adapter with 4 timing shims.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86355

• OvrcAHst

The two holes on the immediate sides of the square hole are mated with two sockethead screws that hold the switch box to the body (switch section). The other one furthest to the right is what bites into the base threads
of the chromed crystal chamber that keeps it in place.

The switch box assembly.

This section here, the second part of the dual crystal reveal is kinda disappointing and falls considerably short of the initial renders when the run started. Aesthetically, there’s mock circuitry patterns cut into the surface but the whole part is anodised black. Yes, this can be sanded and polished to better match the exterior of the saber or resemble the rendered appearance (or essentially like what the Dual Reveal Graflex is pointed to be) but the disappointing aspect is it’s not exactly a second crystal chamber.

This second crystal reveal is basically two vertically slots filled with a red mesh-like insert.
I guess it’s a faux crystal chamber.

This is the single setscrew that secures the internal C-block RCP mount as illustrated..

..here.

The male threaded inner lower body that the T-gripped outer mates to. The pommel ring basically threads over this same end after the grip body is on.

All in all it’s a Vader Hilt or rather Saberforge’s version of a saber that takes influence from it. The 1 inch blade holder is a plus as too is the solidly constructed nature of it. Do I love it? Well I don’t hate it and it’s quite a good and reasonable offering for what it is. I opted to start its journey as an empty Kit to see what its later fate would become specific to an install. I’m just not feeling it and it’ll likely stay empty and even move on from my Collection..

Size-wise, it seems to be on par. I’m not too anal when it comes to screen or other accuracies.

To conclude this little writeup, it’s pictured (up top) against the previously eluded to ESB MPP, my DV6 and
a Custom Heiland Vader reimagined.

Number 5, what would have been uncanny was it being Number 4 cos of the whole MK1 and Episode 4 ANH influence but I guess not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Execute66, Vechaljian, scifidude79, Rhyno

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86358

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 372
Yeah, I can't say I'd want to get one of these as a kit. It seems like a lot to deal with just for a basic install. It looks nice, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86370

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 523
Awesome review as always. Id be curious to compare this to my ANH MPP. I'm definitely intrigued by it. I'm sure some of the short comings you pointed out could be reworked and the "reveal" design in general tweaked and used to great affect.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86373

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 187
Oeh, thanks for the in-depth look, can't wait to see the MK2 now, but this promises good stuff :woohoo:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86400

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 222
Great review! Thing looks fantastic!

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86409

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 572
Behold the Awesomeness,
Yield to it's Glory. B)

ANH: #5/100 2 months 1 week ago #86434

• OvrcAHst
Thanks with stopping by for a look, to those that commented and to those that didn't. :)

Just putting this out there too.. if #5/100 interests you either as a display piece or as a candidate for DIY install, send me a PM to purchase. Will include a Gen2 Imperial Gloss Black Display Stand (the version that holds up to 4 blade plugs and up to 2 killkeys and 3 sabers) Pic following for reference.
SOLD

Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by OvrcAHst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snajeelay

ANH: #5/100 2 months 3 days ago #86956

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 746
Nice saber! I got a little shock when I thought you pulled it apart including SaberCore sound board. :ohmy:

But hope it finds its way to a new home for that.

ANH: #5/100 2 months 3 days ago #86957

• DarthTango
  • Thank you received: 2
Great looking saber. even better review/tear down. hopefully the new owner of it puts up some build pics.
Cheers.

ANH: #5/100 2 months 3 days ago #86965

• OvrcAHst
Execute66 wrote:
I got a little shock when I thought you pulled it apart including SaberCore sound board. :ohmy:
:lol: while I have done that before with a SC2.0, it wasn't to be the same with this one. The Veterans and the new SC3.0 has it's features but I'm yet to get on board as i'd need to be off the fence towards them first. :whistle:

DarthTango wrote:
Great looking saber. even better review/tear down. hopefully the new owner of it puts up some build pics.
Cheers.
Someone will eventually, it may not be specific to #5 but it'll get done.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Shoto saber design, ISO i... (61 Posts)
    • Hi Major, The shade on the Gladius body block ring doesn't look too bad (in your comparison...
    • Quote: Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...
    • Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...
    • Quote: The lighting in the photo isn't very good. I think BCII is a little too dark and BCI is a little too...
    • Chassis Available! (7 Posts)
    • I hope my Redeemer ordered in January will be fitted with that one....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.4k
  • Total Topics: 5842
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 11
  • Yesterday Answer: 14