Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Shoto hilts

Shoto hilts 4 days 32 minutes ago #82933

• chadly
Still in research mode and looking for involving my 2 young boys into this as well and it has now brought me to my first of probably many questions. With my boys being almost 5 and 2, are shoto hilts a better sized fit for young ones to get into to be able to learn how to play/duel? Thanks in advance and if need mire info feel free to ask
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Shoto hilts 4 days 11 minutes ago #82934

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1437
Almost certainly! The Shoto sabers are the smallest in overall length that Saber Forge makes. The other consideration you might want to ponder is the size of the blade. For young ones that small, an 18" blade would probably be in order. As they grow, and can handle the added weight, you can put longer blades on them to give them a little extra reach. The next step up that Saber Forge sells would be 26".

Good luck sir, and be sure to take lots of pics of them to be used in a review!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: chadly

Shoto hilts 3 days 22 hours ago #82947

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Hi. The Shoto hilts would be a good size for your boys and even adult boys ;) will use them. Because these blades are heavy grade for dueling... they are weightier as the wall of the blade is thicker. There is no difference in the cost between blade sizes so I would choose the 26 inch blade for both of them or if at some time you can upgrade the length... start with the 18 inch. This means that they will be in closer vicinity to each other and the saber might be used more in jabbing like motions. Almost guaranteed not to damage your home as they swing the sabers. Some of the blade length will be lost inside the emitter.

Cutting down the blade length with a pipe cutter or a dremel is fairly easy to do and there are clear YouTube instructional videos and lots of members here to assist you. The pointed tip is rounded off smooth and under adult supervision should not be a safety concern.

Perhaps choose sabers that have a more simple design that small fingers cannot get caught on and can grip more easily. Good luck with your selections and ask as many questions that you need. :)

EDIT: Have looked more closely at the blade lengths/weight and I see no reason why the 26" blades would not be the most suitable choice instead of the much shorter 18". Your boys... even the 2 year old should be able to fairly quickly adapt to holding and swinging this smaller saber combination.
Last Edit: 3 days 6 hours ago by Dauntless 7.

Shoto hilts 2 days 14 hours ago #83003

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 56
The Apprentice line might be a good fit too. I have a Bastion, and my three-year-old daughter handles it just fine. The extra inch or two you get with the Apprentice hilts could help counter-balance the weight of the blades, and will also give them a saber that they won't outgrow anytime soon.
Last Edit: 2 days 14 hours ago by Rennek.

Shoto hilts 1 day 3 hours ago #83031

• chadly
thanks for the advice everyone. I just need to convince my wife to let me get one for myself and then for the boys as well.... she doesn't think I need one and doesn't believe women play too, or the boys do either, but I think it would be fun to display and play with and even when they get a bit older do some real learning to duel. i'm thinking if I get one I want yellow, but can't tell from the site if yellow is bright yellow, or if its more like the amber color, which to me they both look the same. i'd prolly get the boys a dark blue for the one and green for the other on their first ones. sorry for the rambling on there.

Shoto hilts 1 day 2 hours ago #83032

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1437
Don’t let age, or gender be factors in your decision making. I am old enough to have boys that are 22, and 19 reapectively, we all love this stuff! Even my wife lays claim to my pink Talon, so there ya go! B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Shoto hilts 1 hour 9 minutes ago #83041

• chadly
Quite true brax. I may wait to order something till after holidays and tax returns are done. Shes spent enough on christmas for the kids already i guess. Lol. Thanks again
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Core 3.0 getting ... (6 Posts)
    • My first Sabercore 3.0 is in a Templar cross guard with a vibration motor(which I actually like) I'm...
    • MONARCH IS GONE (10 Posts)
    • I have the Legacy version and a Regular version monarch, I think I am planning on selling the...
    • Shoto hilts (7 Posts)
    • Quite true brax. I may wait to order something till after holidays and tax returns are done. Shes...
    • Mystery Box Sabers Have R... (83 Posts)
    • Only Phil knows for sure when the next round will start. On average, they have been a couple of...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6123
  • Latest Member: ConnieMub
  • Total Posts: 62.4k
  • Total Topics: 5226
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 5