Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: SF vs VV blades?

SF vs VV blades? 3 days 13 hours ago #89343

• keremcan
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Any of you have both Saberforge and Vader's Vault dual diffused blades? If yes, can you give some pros and cons of VV blades?
BANE mk2, Champion, Black/chrome, Deep red
ARBITER, Champion, Weathered, Blood orange
ERIS, Warrior, Dual tone, Indigo
Last Edit: 3 days 11 hours ago by keremcan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SF vs VV blades? 3 days 7 hours ago #89356

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 532
So, SF's V4 Infinity Edge blade is a "smoked"/opaque polycarbonate that gives a nice mix between the brightness of a clear blade and the fullness of a trans-white (ultraedge) blade. They only sell it in heavy-grade thickness with pointed/bullet tips that are threaded in. The diffusion film is also glued in.

VV's offers blades with both heavy (thick wall) and mid grade (thin wall) thicknesses. Mid grade is lighter and brighter than heavy grade, but not as durable. Heavy grade is required by most dueling groups. VV also offers both rounded or bullet tips, and the they are chemically bonded to the blade with Weld-On 3 (rather than superglued). They also don't glue the blade film, which allows it to flex rather than crinkle when dueling. "Shine-through" tips are also offered; a little hole is drilled in the middle of the reflective disc on the bottom of the tip that allows more light to pass through to the tip. It helps make the tip more evenly lit, but is a bit of a hazard if you point it at someone's face (they're banned from dueling groups like TSL).

VV offers blades in either clear or trans-white... with their special "dual diffusion", which is basically sanding of the outside of the blade. This is the main hallmark of their blades. I don't really see the point of it on a trans-white blade, but it's great on the clear blades. It pretty much does what the SF blade material does and puts it at a nice balance between a clear and a white blade in making the blade appear "fuller" while not having the drawbacks of trans-white (dimmer and washes out under lighting easily). I had a bunch of blades from US that I've since sanded in the VV style.
Last Edit: 3 days 7 hours ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, keremcan, EJT

SF vs VV blades? 3 days 3 hours ago #89362

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 731
VV's standard dual diffused blades are thin wall blades whereas the SF V4 Infinity is a thick wall blade. If you are medium to hard dueler, then the Infinity is better. I prefer the VV standard dual diffused because I am not much of a dueler so a thin wall blade helps with brightness/diffusion a little better. It's not a big deal.

However, there is one blade that VV sells that is a winner: the Photon Blade. This produces a bright acid green that is close to Luke's thin neck green in TLJ. You need a 12W+ Medium Blue or 12W+ Deep Blue LED to stimulate the Photon green blade. This is my single favorite blade by any manufacturer.
Saberforge lightsabers are cool :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEma1xhFlAneJcgIrT6nJtg
The following user(s) said Thank You: keremcan

SF vs VV blades? 2 days 23 hours ago #89366

• keremcan
  • Elite Member
KelbornX wrote:
So, SF's V4 Infinity Edge blade is a "smoked"/opaque polycarbonate that gives a nice mix between the brightness of a clear blade and the fullness of a trans-white (ultraedge) blade. They only sell it in heavy-grade thickness with pointed/bullet tips that are threaded in. The diffusion film is also glued in.

VV's offers blades with both heavy (thick wall) and mid grade (thin wall) thicknesses. Mid grade is lighter and brighter than heavy grade, but not as durable. Heavy grade is required by most dueling groups. VV also offers both rounded or bullet tips, and the they are chemically bonded to the blade with Weld-On 3 (rather than superglued). They also don't glue the blade film, which allows it to flex rather than crinkle when dueling. "Shine-through" tips are also offered; a little hole is drilled in the middle of the reflective disc on the bottom of the tip that allows more light to pass through to the tip. It helps make the tip more evenly lit, but is a bit of a hazard if you point it at someone's face (they're banned from dueling groups like TSL).

VV offers blades in either clear or trans-white... with their special "dual diffusion", which is basically sanding of the outside of the blade. This is the main hallmark of their blades. I don't really see the point of it on a trans-white blade, but it's great on the clear blades. It pretty much does what the SF blade material does and puts it at a nice balance between a clear and a white blade in making the blade appear "fuller" while not having the drawbacks of trans-white (dimmer and washes out under lighting easily). I had a bunch of blades from US that I've since sanded in the VV style.

I was considering to buy a dual diffused 1' trans white VV blade, since i heard that it is significantly bright over other blades. Is the difference not that big?
Last Edit: 2 days 23 hours ago by keremcan. Reason: text

SF vs VV blades? 2 days 23 hours ago #89367

• keremcan
  • Elite Member
Execute66 wrote:
VV's standard dual diffused blades are thin wall blades whereas the SF V4 Infinity is a thick wall blade. If you are medium to hard dueler, then the Infinity is better. I prefer the VV standard dual diffused because I am not much of a dueler so a thin wall blade helps with brightness/diffusion a little better. It's not a big deal.

However, there is one blade that VV sells that is a winner: the Photon Blade. This produces a bright acid green that is close to Luke's thin neck green in TLJ. You need a 12W+ Medium Blue or 12W+ Deep Blue LED to stimulate the Photon green blade. This is my single favorite blade by any manufacturer.

I really like the photon blades and buy one of them from VV but i do not own a blue-related hilt :) But when i get "that" hilt; i'll definately buy that blade, seems very charming.

SF vs VV blades? 2 days 15 hours ago #89374

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
keremcan wrote:
I was considering to buy a dual diffused 1' trans white VV blade, since i heard that it is significantly bright over other blades. Is the difference not that big?

No trans-white blade will be "brighter" than another blade. They will always be dimmer due to the material, when compared to a clear/other blade of the same thickness (thin wall vs thin wall, etc). What they are, however, is "fuller" looking. Some people will wrongly call this "brighter" because they're seeing more light and color spread out along the blade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: keremcan

SF vs VV blades? 2 days 6 hours ago #89405

• Darth Tabarnak
  • Premium Member
  • aka MrBond
  • Thank you received: 26
If I may add, TCSS and VV blades are the same.
Formerly known as "MrBond"
http://www.saberfont.com/Darth-Tabarnak_c_78.html

SF vs VV blades? 2 days 5 hours ago #89409

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Darth Tabarnak wrote:
If I may add, TCSS and VV blades are the same.

Blade stock/material, yes. Complete blades, no.

VV complete blades use standard diffusion film and are as previously mentioned "dual diffused" via sanding of the outside.

TCSS complete blades use either that odd Corbin film (which is super dim but gives a tapered look) or uses that plastic diffusion tube that also sucks. I've had both types of blades from TCSS and was not impressed.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• 3D printing parts (78 Posts)
    • I'd suggest you print the white tube from #1 with no top and then print a black top part with a thin...
    • "DIY" Star Wars... (121 Posts)
    • So I'd have the choice between multiple options: 1. The Tunic set sold at jedi-robe.de, for 90€,...
    • "DIY" Star Wars... (121 Posts)
    • So not really the thing I am looking for. And I already own a robe from a different online store...
    • SF experience (28 Posts)
    • Quote: People bitch just to bitch. they feel it some how vindicates their situation, all the while doing...
    • 3D printing parts (78 Posts)
    • Who wants one [image]

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6828
  • Latest Member: mccraige
  • Total Posts: 68.8k
  • Total Topics: 5794
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 6