Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Reborn.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Dual Tone Reborn 12+w Purple

Dual Tone Reborn 12+w Purple 9 months 2 weeks ago #66310

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
Let me start by saying that this review has been a difficult one to start. I have had this saber for well over a month now, and unlike so many of the other sabers that I received, and reviewed soon after receiving them, the motivation to get this review done somehow did not manifest itself. It could be that there are a LOT of reviews of this saber already, and perhaps I felt like there was little more I could say about it that had not been said already. Perhaps it was the fact that, as much as the design elements are appealing visually, I did not feel that this saber would ever be as practical as the others, and so would qualify as my first real "Shelf Queen". Perhaps, as striking as I thought it looked, there was another reviewed here that was so customized, and so beautiful, that it was somehow not as deserving of a review in the shadow of that saber. Whatever the case may be, please don't think that these are any indication that I don't love this saber as much as the others. I just love it for different reasons.

I can be honest in saying that I never REALLY saw myself owning this saber. I admired it for its accuracy to a saber that I had seen many times while playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. It is a compelling design, and I was impressed with it from the moment I saw the first renderings of it. When the DT finish became an option, it just made it even more appealing visually. That contrast between black and silver gets me every time. I am always drawn towards sabers that combine sharp angles with curved edges, and alternating textures with smooth areas, using the finish color to highlight all of it. This saber certainly fits all of those criteria, in much the same way as the Avenger did.

In short, there is nothing not to be fully appreciated about this saber. It is spectacular. However, for me, I don't see it as something I would reach for when my son wants to go out to the back yard, and do our poor imitation of dueling. It is not that I don't see it as sturdy enough, as it certainly is. As much as one might look at a Reborn, and judge it to be uncomfortable to hold, it is surprisingly comfortable, if you grip it right. It takes some moving around, but there is definitely a sweet spot to be found. I just personally, don't see it as a saber that can be anything but a single hand grip, and it is a little too big a saber for that for my taste. Besides, I have a Consular that fits that bill perfectly. So, that leaves it as a beautiful shelf queen, or at best, a saber I might break out to flourish, and impress folks who are admiring my collection. They were certainly impressed with it at my office, and if there is anything I demand of any saber I own, it is that it be impressive in some way beyond the obvious. This saber absolutely fits that description, and therefore has a rightful place there.

I think the final deciding factor was that I knew I was going to be getting a Fallen, and when the opportunity to obtain both Revan sabers presented itself, that thought was quite appealing. I knew that part of it would be lost of most folks, but for those in the know, it added even more of a "WoW" factor.

Now to some of the features.

What can I say? The Reborn just commands your gaze when you set eyes upon it. As I said, visually compelling!

That "jet engine" blade plug is just exquisite! When the LED is turned on, it just adds to an already fantastic look!

That purple LED...what can I say that the picture does not show? To borrow a word from Jordon Moll...Gorgeous (cha-ching...chalk up a quarter for him every time someone else uses that word!).

The detailing on the grips were an unexpected bonus, adding to the allure of this saber.

There are some greeblies thrown in for some additional appeal.

Then there is this bit of color added between two of the grips that serves no more practical purpose than the greeblies, but does add just a bit more contrast to the look of the saber. It is not just painted on the surface. There is a decorative depression in the hilt which was painted to provide this detail, which is a touch that I appreciate.

The bottom line is, this saber is more of a visual favorite, as opposed to all of my other sabers which are visual, as well as practical. However, that does not mean that it is not as prized a member of my collection as any of the rest. It's connection to the Fallen, and to the Revan legend give it rightful creds to hang on my wall. Of course, due to the unique nature of the grips, my usual method of display won't work on this saber (that being the Shoreline Kayak paddle clips), so I will have to find some other way to show it off. But rest assured, I will find that alternative, and the Fallen, and Reborn will be right next to each other, just as they should be!

Ratings
Craftsmanship 10/10 - Not a blemish to be seen, nor a rattle to be heard.
Styling 9.9/10 - I believe they really hit it out of the park here, considering how complex it is, keeping in mind that it could be that complex, and still be mass produced!
Comfort 8/10 - I don't see this as a commentary on how it could be improved in the category. I think given the design elements, it is very comfortable for a one-handed grip. I only mark it down because it would be impractical IMHO to attempt a two-handed grip, which is important for me. Certainly, others mileage may vary on this point, but that is where I am on it.

Overall 9.7/10 - There is nothing I marked this saber down for that should prevent anyone from grabbing this saber! It is a wonderful hilt, and the ratings are certainly no reflections on the design, or craftsmanship. If you like either, get this saber!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Brax.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, Greysider, Borommakot, HotRod, DK44

Dual Tone Reborn 12+w Purple 9 months 2 weeks ago #66312

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
i agree with your comments about the design. as a weapon it's not very practical to weild, but it is certainly very nice to look at. and of course you can't have the reborn without the fallen.

congrats on your beautiful (and gorgeous) revan hilts!

Dual Tone Reborn 12+w Purple 9 months 2 weeks ago #66313

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 505
Congratz! I like the Reborn. It's a very distinctive looking saber, unique with those curved grip bars extending along the body with the three pointed claws at the emitter. Mine is in purple too.
"I am the Senate"

Dual Tone Reborn 12+w Purple 9 months 2 weeks ago #66322

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Beautiful saber Brax! There are sooo many fantastic looking sabers made by saberforge---I'm having a hard time deciding what my next one will be, but one thing is for sure---I'm going purple, I'm really digging that color for some reason!

Dual Tone Reborn 12+w Purple 9 months 2 weeks ago #66323

• Dauntless 7
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Thanks. Really enjoyed your review and your Fallen and Reborn choices. B)

Dual Tone Reborn 12+w Purple 9 months 2 weeks ago #66364

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
Brax wrote:
Let me start by saying that this review has been a difficult one to start. I have had this saber for well over a month now, and unlike so many of the other sabers that I received, and reviewed soon after receiving them, the motivation to get this review done somehow did not manifest itself.
Was starting to wonder the whereabouts of this since you dropped the Preview in Wait Begins. Good to see life was sparked into driving the motivation once more. B)
Perhaps, as striking as I thought it looked, there was another reviewed here that was so customized, and so beautiful, that it was somehow not as deserving of a review in the shadow of that saber.
To which do you point at here? ;) There's nothing to shy away from with the DT Finish. Honestly when your Dark Fall surfaced, I had imagined the accompanying Reborn to be something other than the DT Finish you decided with. I was thinking along the lines of a special Powdercoat or possibly even an All Black to make a Dark Pair. Nice addition to your Collection.
The detailing on the grips were an unexpected bonus, adding to the allure of this saber.
Has the single Body Spine (that fails to stay in formation like the other two) started to bother you yet? :lol:

Dual Tone Reborn 12+w Purple 9 months 2 weeks ago #66416

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 298
Great review Brax. I have always wanted a Reborn but have yet to pull the trigger. Looking at this beauty pushes me to do it a little sooner than later. Congrats on a great hilt!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5258
  • Latest Member: Albertospani
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4686
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0