Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Chassis Help

Chassis Help 6 months 3 days ago #76512

• sweetbabyray42
I almost have all of my parts to start my first diy build on a prodigal son hilt. I was wondering if it would be easier to just cram all of my inner parts (battery, speaker, recharge port, soundboard, etc.) into my prodigal son lightsaber or using a chassis. What is the best chassis for a prodigal son saber?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Chassis Help 6 months 2 days ago #76516

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1474
I am no expert, but I believe anyone who is would recommend a chassis if possible. Better for wire management, and better protection of the sound board, and speaker from the vibrations resulting from dueling. Me being the organization freak that I am, I just like the idea of an apparatus designed specifically for that purpose, that (on the rare occasion that it sees the light of day) looks damned cool!

With today's 3-d printing technology where it is, these things are not terribly expensive, and are tailored for the environments for which they are used. That appeals to me on every level.

I will leave it to the aforementioned experts to recommend a specific chassis for what you are doing, but I think that they would agree that if you can, a chassis is the way to go! B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: sweetbabyray42

Chassis Help 6 months 2 days ago #76518

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 201
Like Brax said, 3D printing. Go to Shapeways (web search for it.) Search on there for "SaberForge" and you'll find a variety of chassis options available for SF sabers. (some are specific to a hilt, others are generic) I've been researching this for building a saber I got today. B)

A lot of the discs you find for DIY chassis are too wide to fit in SF hilts.
Last Edit: 6 months 2 days ago by scifidude79.

Chassis Help 6 months 2 days ago #76522

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 205
I've done a few PS of the last couple years, and in the body, from the pommel to the first switch hole does allow most of the chassis to fit without mods, if your gonna run 2x12mm switches or 1 x rcp and 1x switch your gonna have to cut some of the frame of the chassis down so that it can pass under them, and depending on which chassis you use it could still be too long. I found that Jas-ot velcro chassis actually are easier in this and the redeemer, or SF Hero Tier PnP style kit.
My other work around that I did for a Redeemer commission was I bought a 1 inch battery holder and put that up in the grenade section with the battery and then just cut down the Sound card chassis battery part down until it slide nicely past the switches. Main point is sometime you gotta get creative.

Chassis Help 6 months 1 day ago #76537

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
There isn't a chassis specifically designed for the PS that I am aware of, but there are "generic" 1.11" chassis pieces that will work which can be purchased from shapeways.

You may need to cut or trim the arches on them to fit and slide as Vech said. Thin neck sabers are generally a more difficult type of build due to the way they fit together. This goes for any think neck, SF or other wise.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Help with ASP Prodigal So... (6 Posts)
    • He doesn't recommend latching. Saberforge does. Auxiliary functions are done by pressing down on the...
    • Double Reveal MPP Coming ... (120 Posts)
    • I'll try to find out.
    • Double Reveal MPP Coming ... (120 Posts)
    • This is the response I got today (Jan 5th) from customer service. I was wondering as well, not so...
    • Help with ASP Prodigal So... (6 Posts)
    • I was very curious about what the inside of a thin neck looked like. Thanks. It looks like a...
    • Old school saber (6 Posts)
    • Wow this brings back some awesome memories. Thanks. B)

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6372
  • Latest Member: Mr.Heand
  • Total Posts: 63.4k
  • Total Topics: 5360
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 17
  • Yesterday Answer: 24