Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery

SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery 3 months 3 weeks ago #83866

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1915
KelbornX wrote:
And needless to say, those pics do not at ALL do the actual colors justice due to how purple colors photograph.
No doubt and I don't disagree with you which is what prompted the disclaimer on the opening post..

There's a batch of tri-Cree RGB mix photos floating around, and kudos to the guy who put those together actually getting decent pics of certain colors mixes, even if they're still a bit off when compared to the actual values used.

Here's a little more accurate representations below, cropped from the above referenced RGB collection:

INDIGO

PURPLE
Value adjustments will vary significantly to ones perception/interpretation of what Indigo/Purple represents. TriCREES/REBELS cater towards that (and not necessarily limited too just the RGrB offering). This indication Gallery is when a SF QuadCREE is in play though.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery 3 months 3 weeks ago #83876

• Sharangir
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I'll have a look at the pictures on my desktop. On my smartphone they look identical (the pics from ovrchast).

But why do red and blue trouble the camera? I know from experience that purple flowers are a pain, but mixed colours?

SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery 3 months 3 weeks ago #83878

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 545
Sharangir wrote:
But why do red and blue trouble the camera? I know from experience that purple flowers are a pain, but mixed colours?

Because "purple" isn't a wavelength of light. It's a color that our brain invents when it gets signals from the eyes of both blue and red light at the same time. A camera picks up light completely differently than our eyes do, and tends to separate the mixed colors. That's why "purple" often comes out as a red core with a blue glow when you photograph it... and why I posted the two pics that I did. Even though they're not SF quad colors, they're more accurate than I've ever seen someone photograph the two colors.
Forum shutting down? Oh no!
Come and join THE VAULT: A Custom Lightsaber Community

SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery 3 months 3 weeks ago #83879

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
On top of what Kelborn said, Deep Blue LEDs put out ultraviolet light that's invisible to our eyes, but gets picked up by the camera and rendered as magenta, which can throw off the photographed hue of blue/purple LED mixes.

SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery 3 months 3 weeks ago #83880

• Sharangir
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Ooh,now it gets interesting.
I have fairly intense "uv" LEDs at home (that I use in the lab and for photography purposes, with fluorescence and phosphorescence). They, too, emit a lot of purple.

What I don't get is how the dark blue LED can emit UV without looking purple itself (since purple is the sbortest wavelength we can still see)

If both Indigo and purple quadcrees rely on red to create a purple look, they shouldn't be using UV-emitting diodes.

But I'll gladly measure them when I get my hands on one.

How do you decide which "purple" to go with if there aren't any pictures to go by?

Lastly, a digital camera has a filter covering each pixel (R,G,B) and doesn't (shouldn't) let any UV through. (That's why UV filters for lenses have no measurable effect anymore)

The issue with purple flowers is a different one. (They don't emit purple light. They absorb "orange" and reflect anything else, thus appearing purple. )

SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery 3 months 3 weeks ago #83882

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
A proper digital camera might have a good filter, but most of us are just snapping with our cellphone camera.

I've been toying around with an XT-E RoyalBlue LED module in one of my spare hilts. Blade itself looks purely blue. Reflections on white walls are blue with a *slight* purple hue. Photographs purple.

Here's the unedited photo:

And here's the photo color-corrected to the in-person hue:

(With the reminder that the blade isn't white in-person, but rather a solid blue - this is just the light intensity throwing off the cellphone camera)

As for what color you want, I usually describe it as one-to-one Red/Blue mixes like SF Purple come out looking like a Mace Windu Magenta, while blue-heavy mixes like SF Indigo are better for Revan/Old-Republic-Sith Purple.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Kouri.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharangir

SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery 2 months 2 weeks ago #86226

• keremcan
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 52
From my fully charged sabers... Same room, light conditions and camera.

Deep Red (Bane mk2)

Blood Orange (Arbiter v2)

BANE mk2, Champion, Black/chrome, Deep red
ARBITER, Champion, Weathered, Blood orange
ERIS, Warrior, Dual tone, Indigo
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by keremcan. Reason: text
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

SF Quad Cree Mixing Combinations & Colour Gallery 1 month 1 week ago #88205

• keremcan
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Same conditions...

Indigo (Eris)

BANE mk2, Champion, Black/chrome, Deep red
ARBITER, Champion, Weathered, Blood orange
ERIS, Warrior, Dual tone, Indigo
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by keremcan. Reason: Text
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge Forum Shuttin... (91 Posts)
    • Hi KelbornX, And thanks for all you have contributed and done for the forum members and...
    • Saber Forge Forum Shuttin... (91 Posts)
    • Well it's the last (or second to last?) day of these forums. Links have already been posted to...
    • Sabercore3 not saving (9 Posts)
    • How do you do the firmware update bud
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (61 Posts)
    • Hi Major, The shade on the Gladius body block ring doesn't look too bad (in your comparison...
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (61 Posts)
    • Quote: Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.4k
  • Total Topics: 5842
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 14
  • Yesterday Answer: 14