Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Old style Grey weathering?

Old style Grey weathering? 2 months 2 weeks ago #83971

• Kirabi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 36
So after receiving a disappointing reply from the customs department (only took a few days though, woo!) it seems that not even they can do a customs order for that particular style anymore. My question to you all then is how would I be able to replicate it myself?

Is the process the same as the current weathering procedure of paint then remove some with a lathe/sanding? If so I suppose it would just be a matter of finding the matching paint they used.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Old style Grey weathering? 2 months 2 weeks ago #83972

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 506
Kirabi wrote:
Is the process the same as the current weathering procedure of paint then remove some with a lathe/sanding? If so I suppose it would just be a matter of finding the matching paint they used.

Not... quite. The current weathering is done by sanding an all black anodized saber on a lathe.

The "grey weathering" was also done with an anodized finish, and I'm fairly certain it was a "light bronze" colored anodizing, considering that's the closest visual match when looking up anodizing dye colors. You could always get the empty hilt, strip it of the current anodizing (soaking in oven cleaner seems to be best?) and then send it off to an anodizing shop to get a light bronze anodizing put onto it, then weather it as you please with sandpaper, etc.

You could also mimic a similar color with paints or powder coating, but it won't be an exact match to the finish.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• "DIY" Star Wars... (105 Posts)
    • Sooooooo? :whistle:
    • Ordering on Saberforge (22 Posts)
    • There has got to be a prepaid Visa or Mastercard some where available to you. They are everywhere...
    • ASP Wave 2 Renders (87 Posts)
    • This is great to hear. Time to swap out Epoch emitter for Bane...
    • March Sale! (18 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: We need to tweak the banner text a bit, the freebies for $100 are a 4 piece set of the four new...
    • Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs N... (2 Posts)
    • The NEC fonts from Saber Fonts would be compatible, just needing to be renamed to the same standard...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6762
  • Latest Member: Errottabore90
  • Total Posts: 67.4k
  • Total Topics: 5704
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 2
  • Yesterday Answer: 44