Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Help Mounting Switch

Help Mounting Switch 2 months 5 days ago #86225

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 69
I asked the same thing on another forum, but it's been my experience that the people on that forum (in general) aren't as willing to help as the folks here. Apologies that this doesn't involve a Saberforge product.

I ordered a MHS hilt with a pre-drilled hole for a recessed 12mm momentary switch. I decided I'd try Amazon to find a switch that was a little different than the typical AV switch, and found one that I thought would look pretty cool. Unfortunately, I only read the product description, which said it was a 12mm switch that required a 12mm mounting hole, and didn't read the actual dimensions, which said the switch head was 17.6mm. It's not the end of the world, and worst case scenario, I can always order a 12mm AV switch, but I'd really like to make this one work. It just looks too cool not to use! Any way, I'm looking for ideas on how to mount it without there being open space between the edge of the switch and the surface of the hilt. I was wondering if a 16mm bezel would cover the recessed hole, and give enough flat surface to mount the switch. I would gladly welcome any input or ideas!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help Mounting Switch 2 months 5 days ago #86228

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1086
Hi Rennek,

I think the 16mm bezel should work but you might still have some overhang of the switch head over the bezel (bezel 16mm is < 17.6mm switch head).

You might be able to take your hilt to a friendly machine shop owner (or if you are a competent DIY type and have the tools) maybe you/they can rebore the switch hole out to a diameter to fit the 17.6mm switch head. However due to the radius of the hilt and the dimensions of the switch head I don't know how "Flat" that would make the switch appear (as you put a wider switch in a hilt it forms a "flat spot" in the curve of the hilt).

Hope this is of help (and I'm sure other more knowledgeable folks will chime in on this too)

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rennek

Help Mounting Switch 2 months 5 days ago #86235

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 69
See, that was my first thought too, but after pawing over schematics of different switches, I think that the 16mm measurement refers to the threaded section that goes inside the hilt, with the visible part that sits on top having a diameter of 18mm. If that assessment is correct, then the 16mm bezel should have an OD of approximately 18mm, which should allow the switch I have to sit flush on top. If I had found this switch before I ordered my hilt pieces, I think a guarded style switch hole would have fit this switch better, but hindsight is 20/20...

Thanks for the response, For!

Help Mounting Switch 2 months 5 days ago #86241

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 537
Rennek wrote:
[...] after pawing over schematics of different switches, I think that the 16mm measurement refers to the threaded section that goes inside the hilt, with the visible part that sits on top having a diameter of 18mm. If that assessment is correct, then the 16mm bezel should have an OD of approximately 18mm, which should allow the switch I have to sit flush on top. [...]

Correct. The "body" of the switch is what's 12mm or 16mm. The head of the typical 12mm AV is 14mm, and 18mm for a 16mm AV switch. So the recess on your 12mm hole is cutout for a 14mm head. The 16mm bezel should work for you. It might be a little loose though until you get the switch fully secured.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rennek
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge April Sale!!!... (26 Posts)
    • Regarding the comments box and notes... I was informed by SF that my notes weren't showing up. I was...
    • Ordering Questions: Sound... (16 Posts)
    • Is the Acolyte not the Disciple without the wrap? That's how I understand it from looking at them....
    • I'm in about the same situation at the moment... debating whether to wait and see if they do a...
    • Well I just hope it works out. I hate myself... Just can't decide whether I want to order (and sink...
    • Quote: Where can you verify what you typed in the notes at check out? Hmmmm. Same here. Maybe it doesn't...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6833
  • Latest Member: Commander Juice
  • Total Posts: 69k
  • Total Topics: 5813
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 21
  • Yesterday Answer: 39