Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt - Comparison Review

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt - Comparison Review 1 week 4 days ago #87618

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 429
"I want to get an Obi-Wan hilt, but I'm not sure which one to get..."

This question gets asked A LOT, I've seen it more times than I can count on the FB groups, forums, and even gets asked personally from time to time. So, I thought I'd do a little comparison to help those folks who are looking for that knockout Obi-Wan ANH style saber to add to their collection.

Before I get to the meat of the comparison a bit a preface. As someone who installs and "builds" sabers I see lots of empty hilts, all of varying degrees of construction, price, and in the case of canon hilts - accuracy. Not too long ago I started classifying empties into three categories:

Economic - Price range up to $150 - these are hilts that are designed to be exactly what the name says, affordable. I don't expect much out of them in the way of bells and whistles, and when it comes to canon style hilts, much in the way of screen accuracy.

Mid Range - Price range $150-$250 - These are reasonably priced, and generally offer more than a hilt in the economic category. The closer you creep to that $250 mark the more I expect out of them in the screen accuracy dept, or "bells and whistles" dept.

High End - price Range $250+ - most of these fall between about $300 and $500 for an empty, some can climb much higher though. These are the cream of the crop (usually) and should be damn near perfect.

So that said, the comparison between the K4 and the MK1 is between two hilts in different categories. The K4 on the upper end of the Mid Range category, and the Mk1 at a very healthy price point in the High end Category.

So which one should you get? Well to be perfectly honest, I don't think you'd be terribly disappointed either way. It all really depends on what you are striving for. The K4 being the more affordable of the two certainly makes it very attractive, the total attention to screen accuracy on the MK1 makes it the pinnacle of Obi-Wan ANH replica hilts. The reality is that 9 out of 10 star wars fans aren't going to be able to tell you which one is the more accurate, and they both look great.

On to the looks at the two of them. MK1 is on the top and left side of pics. For these pics I have both sabers empty, the K4 has not been weathered (the emitter has been buffed down to be shiny though). The MK1 is a "weathered" kit from Roman.

You can't see it to well in the picture, but the MK1 does have the holes in the inner ring, the ring it just black in this case.

Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by Jas-Ot.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst, scifidude79

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87619

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
What you get and don't get:

MK1

The MK1 is the king of screen accuracy when it comes to the ANH version of Obi-Wan's lightsaber and as such features faithful reproductions of the actual found parts used to build the original saber. Some of the highlights:

-- Stamped Graflex Clamp relica
-- Exactra 19-20 bubble card replica
-- Sink Knob replica without vents
-- integrated heatsink and 1" thin wall blade holder
-- Minimum of .99" ID, under clamp much wider - this allows for full size speakers
-- sound venting through clamp and natural venting on the reproduction parts

As for negatives, well the biggest thing is of course the price. As of this writing the various versions available are on sale for between $388 and $489 (The one pictured is the "Weathered" version at $401). Due to the lack of sound venting through the pommel this isn't the loudest saber out there, but when we compare it to the K4 that's a moot point, read on....

K4

Considering there are other Obi-Wan hilts at not much less than the K4 that have nowhere near the same level of detail or attempt to screen accuracy, it's price point really stands out for what you get:

-- Pretty darn close to screen accurate all the way around
-- Transistors are functional and can be used as switch hats. The Graflex clamp has precut holes for them to be inserted and matches up with a channel milled into the main body to hold switches
-- Comes with blade holders for both 1" and 7/8" blades.
-- Emitter can easily be "sanded" down for the exact look you want. Going from near black to shiny
-- PRICE

The negatives, first off it's not "100% screen accurate". The sink knob is a bit too large, and lacks some of the detail, the neck is a bit too long, no stamp on the clamp. Using a 7/8" blade requires mounting the LED directly in the blade holder as the heat sink. Not so much a negative just a reality. For a 1" blade, buying a heat sink that fits inside the blade is recommended (Saberbay on Etsy). Even if it's not 100% screen accurate, it's honestly pretty damn close, and at $225 its really hard to beat with the level of detail for the money spent. Like most Korbanth hilts, it is 7/8" ID, and in this case all the way through. Plenty of install options and chassis available, but you are limited to a 20mm speaker which doesn't make it as loud. But as mentioned above, strictly comparing between the MK1 and K4, that can be a bit of a moot point depending on how the MK1 is installed.

My final say:

The K4 is a GREAT choice if you have a budget. Nothing else that I am aware of as of this writing comes close near it's price point. If you want a reasonably priced Obi-Wan saber that is close enough to the actual prop, then snag a K4. A completed one will likely run you between $550 and $750 depending on internals used.

If your budget is bigger, then the Mk1 is the way to go. You just can't beat it's level of screen accuracy unless you build one out of vintage parts (which BTW is insanely hard to find some of the parts). It's not uncommon for these guys to very quickly exceed the $1000 mark just in the parts alone and a full blown installed one to command prices over the $1500 mark.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Jas-Ot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Eddlyss64, DK44, 26jhoran, scifidude79

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87624

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1696
Excellent write-up! :woohoo: B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87627

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 312
You, sir, are a wealth of information.

I’ve been looking to get a K4 for some time. As much as I love the MK1, it’s on the pricey side for me. The 7/8 ID on the K4 gave me pause at first, but the chassis options available for it should make it a nonissue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87628

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Honestly, the 20mm speaker isn't that bad. Yeah it's not as loud as say a 28mm 2watt 4ohm from Adrian Tan, but then again nothing is. I think you will be VERY happy with the K4. Apparently the 20mm speakers Naigon sells are a bit superior to the ones on TCSS, I personally haven't tried them but that's what I hear (I plan to order some)

Vech can attest to that I believe.

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87631

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1879
Jas-Ot wrote:
Honestly, the 20mm speaker isn't that bad.
:dry: the 20mm speaker isn't that great either.. However yes, in some cases, its output is still more favourable then even some 28mm speakers..

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87632

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
Jas-Ot wrote:
Honestly, the 20mm speaker isn't that bad.
:dry: the 20mm speaker isn't that great either.. However yes, in some cases, its output is still more favourable then even some 28mm speakers..

Yeah but you like your sabers LOUD AF. :P

I full expect to one day be trying to figure out how to mount a 1000w amplifier and speaker into a hilt for you..... Gonna turn it up to 11!!!!

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87633

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1879

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87634

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
I have a build coming up with a hilt I bought from a shop on Etsy, and the ID of the hilt is only 25mm, so I'm going to be able to weigh in on the 20mm speaker debate eventually. ;)

Though, the whole speaker/loudness thing isn't all that big a deal to me personally. I don't even have sound on all of my sabers.

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87637

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
There are 23 and 24mm speakers available :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87640

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, I was thinking of looking into a 24, to at least get the most out of that hilt's ID.

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87652

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 191
Great info Jas.....I've been eyeing a K4 build for awhile now but then the Count came out, and then the L6 came out and I can only get one right now....ugh, choices, lol.

Although the more i see pics & reviews on the L6, the more I'm leaning toward doing that build.......

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 4 days ago #87662

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
The LS6 is a really cool hilt. It's REALLY darn close to screen accurate (more so to the TLJ hero), and has some really cool features that make overlooking some of the not so screen accurate elements easier. Rick of Goth-3Designs has been working on some chassis for it, and I believe Dmitry of ShtokCustom Works is as well. I'd expect some nice chassis options within the next couple of weeks. I'm waiting to see what they come up with before I do an install on mine. I may scratch build a chassis for it along with CC if there isn't a chassis available I like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DK44

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 3 days ago #87679

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 255
Are either of these suitable for mid-heavy dueling, free or choreographed? I'm just curious.

Xiphos, Avenger, Eris

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 3 days ago #87699

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Eddlyss64 wrote:
Are either of these suitable for mid-heavy dueling, free or choreographed? I'm just curious.

I wouldn't risk it. They are both fairly sturdy hilts but they are not designed to be a combat saber. They are best suited to light contact, and I wouldn't want even a choreographed "fight" to damage a saber like these.

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt to get 1 week 3 days ago #87700

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 713
I have both. Roman's Mk1 is the better hilt. The Korbanth K4 is a very fine hilt but it's not quite the level of the Mk1. If price is a factor, then the K4 is good value.
"I am the Senate"

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt - Comparison Review 1 week 2 days ago #87762

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
I would agree overall if you don't factor price into the mix that the MK1 is the "better" of the two. But, the price point of the K4 makes it VERY attractive. As I said in the Comparison Review, the majority of folks out there aren't going to know the subtle differences. The MK1 to me is a true "collector's" hilt in the sense that you have to be something of a saber snob and or a accuracy nut to shell out the $$ for one. Which is perfectly fine, I am those things hence why I have one :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

The K4 vs MK1 - which OB1 hilt - Comparison Review 1 week 2 days ago #87764

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 713
I have both as I said, so I ain't no snob. :P The Mk1 is a heavier hilt and the machining on mine appears more refined than the K4 (minor scuff marks from the factory = Jedi battle marks :lol: ) As a thin neck fan, I would not want to do without either or both.
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Execute66.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• "DIY" Star Wars... (105 Posts)
    • Sooooooo? :whistle:
    • Ordering on Saberforge (22 Posts)
    • There has got to be a prepaid Visa or Mastercard some where available to you. They are everywhere...
    • ASP Wave 2 Renders (87 Posts)
    • This is great to hear. Time to swap out Epoch emitter for Bane...
    • March Sale! (18 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: We need to tweak the banner text a bit, the freebies for $100 are a 4 piece set of the four new...
    • Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs N... (2 Posts)
    • The NEC fonts from Saber Fonts would be compatible, just needing to be renamed to the same standard...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6762
  • Latest Member: Errottabore90
  • Total Posts: 67.4k
  • Total Topics: 5704
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 2
  • Yesterday Answer: 44