Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: I wonder if you could ask SF for special requests

I wonder if you could ask SF for special requests 2 months 2 weeks ago #75777

• TXWolf86
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys. I recently joined the forum and wanted to say hi.

I was working on a design for my saber using the VR Module SaberForge offers. I got two awesome designs done done on the app, however I wonder if you ask for special requests to be done to the parts and options they have.

In the designs I made, both sabers have the Dissedent Body as the grip. That way I can easily switch from one to two hand swings when needed (I also thought that if I were to use the 37 blade, and longer handle would help balance the saber better than with a shorter hilt). Anyway, in the app I had the grip outfitted with a
Brown Leather option, however after viewing how the saber would look based on actual photos of existing sabers, the leather seems too clean.
One of the key ideas I had for designing the saber hilt was that the saber had seen battle before, since I added the weathered option to it. I wonder of you could do the same thing for the leather wrappings. From my point of view if the leather wrap looks new while the rest of the hilt looks old, well it wouldn't look right.

I've added an attachment of what the saber hilts would look like based off the renderings off the VR App. I'd like to get some feedback about the aspect of the leather wrap. If you have any other feedback on the hilts, those are welcome as well. I look forward to reading what you'll guys say.

~ TXWolf86

The administrator has disabled public write access.

I wonder if you could ask SF for special requests 2 months 2 weeks ago #75791

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 257
Well, the Brown Reptile is fairly "aged" looking compared to the regular Brown. I'm not sure if you'd be able to distress the wrap, since it's not real leather. You could get a strip of leather from a local hobby shop and distress it yourself, then replace the wrap with the new piece.

I wonder if you could ask SF for special requests 2 months 2 weeks ago #75792

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1608
Depending on your desired effect, weathering the SF stock supplied wrap can be done ie..

This is Dark Brown leather wrap. Distressed with 600 grit sandpaper and rough handled with a lightly soiled rag of oil and dirt.

I wonder if you could ask SF for special requests 2 months 2 weeks ago #75814

• TXWolf86
That does look like a good option, but if I were to do that to the wrapping on my hilt I have to make the leather look rougher due to the finish I planned on getting, which was the Acid Weathering. I like that you posted this though, it gives an idea of what options I can look into when I do get a saber.

OvrcAHst wrote:
Depending on your desired effect, weathering the SF stock supplied wrap can be done ie..

This is Dark Brown leather wrap. Distressed with 600 grit sandpaper and rough handled with a lightly soiled rag of oil and dirt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

I wonder if you could ask SF for special requests 2 months 2 weeks ago #75815

• wamphyri13
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 37
I'll mirror what KelbornX said with a slight addition. If you want it to look, "just right" do it yourself. Order the saber without a wrap and pick up some leather at either a craft store or hobby shop like KelbornX mentioned. You can also look into ebay for scraps, or a local furniture store or reupholstery shop, maybe even a thrift store for a cheap and well worn leather jacket. There's lots of options. Look up videos on youtube on how to antique leather for that just right look.
Good luck.
No matter where you go, there you are.

I wonder if you could ask SF for special requests 2 months 2 weeks ago #75817

• TXWolf86
Thanx for that, all of you.

I wonder if you could ask SF for special requests 2 months 2 weeks ago #75844

• Darth Squidious
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 98
An easy way I've found to get a more natural, slightly aged look for leather is to simply get some leather dye, I'd suggest a dark brown in your case, for a few bucks on amazon and add dark and light areas by applying the dye unevenly, allow it to sit for a few minutes, wipe off the excess and then lightly sand with a fine grit paper to lighten the high spots as desired.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Boston Comic Con (15 Posts)
    • Some astromechs [attachment] Meet Master Luke and his newest Padawan [attachment] And a Dark Jedi...
    • Boston Comic Con (15 Posts)
    • Escaped the cell block thru the garbage shut. [attachment] Kidnapped an imperial officer that...
    • blade size (1 Posts)
    • I like the look of the Acolyte shoto. With a 32 inch blade, dose anyone know if it's off balance...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5467
  • Latest Member: UnipokerKew
  • Total Posts: 57.6k
  • Total Topics: 4810
  • Total Sections: 23
  • Total Categories: 128
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 27
  • Yesterday Answer: 26