Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Silver Knight.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68163

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1822

Standard Finish Silver Knight 12Watt+ QC Mint Green

A must-have Hilt that resonates simple elegance with zero fuss emerged from the Saber Wish-List and became an acquired addition into a Collection.
It’s not a Thin Neck or a Crystal Chambered design but a worthy inclusion nonetheless.

My first impression of this Hilt as it was unwrapped from the rectangular box of joy was of little desire as the size (of length and girth) was much bigger than what I was anticipating. No Joke, I uttered the words: What’s an UltraSabers doing in here?! (you know because US Hilts take that whole thicker diameter and Maglite looking appearance.) Site images and scaled wield against hand size (through my perception) always projected a slender Hilt about consistent to Apprentice Sabers. This, much like Sinister Prophecy, I’d be lying if I said the first sighting was received as a favourable one.

But to avoid confusion, it is a Saberforge and not the other as, as far as I know, the other doesn’t make one of similar influence in appearance or referenced name. There is the VV version but more than likely and highly probable, if it was ordered when I entered the Saber scene (Dec2015), with their Lead Times, I’d still be waiting. Saberforge’s Silver Knight is far more competitive by price as well, so was a no brainer.

Still, with getting used-to its dimensions as a different perspective of accuracy was painted (handling acceptance and not scaled replica), it remains an extraordinary Hilt and quite remarkable. It is amongst the longer of the Elite Hilts (of SFs range and amongst my Collection) and length is consistent enough. Just needed to curb my initial interpretation of expecting something smaller than actually is. It’s not perfect but doesn’t wander far, as with a no-nonsense design, there isn’t anywhere for ‘character flaws’ to hide however without complete dismissal, is accepted as if it were.

Fellow Monarch Owners/appreciators may recognise something familiar here when it comes to the topside blade retention thumbscrew. The brushed silver surface had also been given a (amateur applied) polished treatment [customisingsy], not high mirrored in finish with a flawless unblemished surface, but enough to my satisfaction by applied methods to generate some shine and lustre without making it a completely reflective surface. Life and energy has most definitely been breathed into the Hilts appearance that ordinarily appears under appreciated.

What was supplied as stock was a frosted silver covertech that looked out of place against the original brushed silver finish of the Hilts entirety. In order to encourage and further heighten the dual-toned black & silver scheme, a black covertech was subbed-in. The covertech’s retention sockethead screw doubles as a lower shroud anchor also. Similar to the shrouded bodies like Shadow Hunter & Avenger but more closely tied to Avenger where the neck2choke is glued and the AV & charge port switches aim at minimising the sideways shifting. Unlike Avenger though, this entire section remains solid2touch and feels solidly assembled.

The black inlaid shallow-grooved body is effectively done in a matte finish. The accent grooves simulate contrast and hand positioning during wield here remains uncompromised.

A small silver greeblie (also frosted) was mounted on the opposite side. The black screw shown currently is the original topside blade retention screw in its new home.

The pierced nipple housing a D-Ring on the Pommel. This is the elected belt-clasp system by factory. What I remain unsure of (and what the reasoning behind it is) are the joint inclusion of types i.e. D-Ring and a Covertech.
Choose one and be done with it I say. Sometimes including both for flexible variety just over-complicates a clean and classic appearance.

Some Specs and Measurements:
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Mint Green| Champion Tier| Sabercore2.0 Crimson Font| Quick Connect LED Module| Silver AV, White-lit| *Silver covertech| *Dual Tone Blade Plug| *lazerforge kill key| *black topside blade retention| *silver greeblie opposite covertech|
Black O-Ring (between choke and emitter).
*=stock inclusion

Hilt Length: 324.48mm (12.7748 inches)
Blade Socket Depth: 45mm (1.7717 inches)

Emitter Diameter: 37.88mm (1.4913 inches)
Choke Diameter: 34.78mm (1.3693 inches)
Choke Length: 24.66mm (0.9709 inches)
Body Diameter: 37.3mm (1.4683 inches)
(my US Manticore measures This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. )
Pommel Diameter: 41.10mm (1.6181 inches)

Weight: 472 grams

Balance (from Pommel to POI): 167mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 26”: 311mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 32”: 343mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 37”: 392mm

The administrator has disabled public write access.

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68164

• OvrcAHst

A nice little accenting detail on the primary Emitter flute-edge as it sits under the outer angle-cut shroud.

A close up of the Monarch thumbscrew. Adds greater depth and volume to a relatively basic stock surface (well.. I believe so, so am running with it). The ill-fitting of the Emitter shroud also meant that the factory placement of the original black accessory didn’t seat tightened and centred due to the lower nub portion above the threads.

Single LED retention setscrew on the left and the second blade retention (by setscrew) on the right. Two secured tighten-points for inserted blade to ensure it’s held in tight. If the top of the heatsink marks ground zero, first blade retention (topside) measures at 10mm and the second blade retention (underside & pictured) measures at 24mm.

I have two gripes from observation here. The Emitter’s shroud has been glued-tight over the cylindrical fluted blade-well without any precision. The resulting accessible angle is askew meaning, whilst the allen key doesn’t go in centred, the retention setscrew is tucked beneath the folds of the two aluminium surfaces so it can’t be completely removed by unscrewing. Over the course of time, it also disables any easy efforts to change/replace said setscrew from the repeated tightening/loosening of as it bites against the inserted blade or plug. With blade or plug absent from the blade-well, the setscrew still freely runs along the female threads and can separate from the Emitter internally but is deemed impossible to be fed through from the overlapped exterior.
Am unable to successfully swap-out the setscrew with a thumbscrew also.

Along the right is a faint frosty (media blasted surface with silver anodise) vertical line that has, as factory inclusion, a black rubber O-Ring perched atop. This is cheap and unsightly and unnecessary. If a recessed black anodised accent can be done on the opposite end (where the covertech sits) then something similar could be done here also. Seems like such a generic after thought during the design think-tank where, likely, the conceptual artists were looking at it and thinking it needs something and rather than implementing a design element to remain consistent, a trivial hair-tie was used and concluded as, That’ll do. But it doesn’t.
It’s just laziness IMO. It was the first to be removed.

Another example of poor execution and failed attention to detail. A recessed AV switch tucked beneath the hilt’s outer circumference is smart. No accidental trigger and is combined seamlessly into a refined design. A charge port that sticks out past the hilt’s outer circumference isn’t. It doesn’t seat recessed like the adjacent switch and in addition to being unsightly, becomes a bit of a snag point too.

Mint Green is a beautiful illuminated colour. My first experience with it was with Epoch version2.0, a preowned using the standard 12Watt without the plus. My initial concept pair was matching it with another, pairing Cyan. But with the added flexibility of the QC LEDs, options are many without the slight sacrificed brightness going an RGBA+. No difficulty with swapping out the module on this hilt either. Straight in and out with little fuss.

Frost White.

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68165

• OvrcAHst
Light Blue

Yellow

Amber

Blood Orange

Deep Red

A few criticisms but all-in all, a phenomenal Hilt. It’s generous length accommodates, rather easily one, two or three closed hand positions.
Maybe shave a few inches shorter to retain agility.

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68166

• OvrcAHst

Silver Knight Cyan versus Epoch Mint Green

Thank you.

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68168

• DeLano80
  • Thank you received: 13
I had always contemplated getting a Silver Knight. I did not realize it is so big. I too thought it should be more of a slimmer and shorter apprentice size hilt.....I like your counter tops. Mine are laminate but next week am getting granite.

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68193

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1547
Great review as always! This one has always been destined for my collection, and it is always nice to have such in-depth information on it beforehand.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68197

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
Nice. While not a fan of this design myself, it is impossible to not appreciate the simple beauty of this hilt. Silver Knight and Archon hold this distinction for me. Congrats.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68200

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
elegant in its simplicity. light blue is the best combo, imho.

congrats!

btw, what do you use for polishing?
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Gnost-Dural.

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68207

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
This just gives me more reasons to save up for this one! I love how stream-lined and simplistic the design is. No flair, no useless claws or anything to get in the way or hook on clothing. Designed with a practical, military view on how it should be done.

The size doesn't bother me at all. Makes it easier to adjust grip and can be used as melee with that kind of length and weight to it.

Very nice review!

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68223

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 674
The Polishing continues to be strong with you.

The photos should give me a good idea of what to expect from Saberforge Customs Polishing and clear coating service.
"I am the Senate"

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68232

• OvrcAHst
Thanks for the comments fellas! ;)

DeLano80 wrote:
I had always contemplated getting a Silver Knight. I did not realize it is so big. I too thought it should be more of a slimmer and shorter apprentice size hilt.....I like your counter tops. Mine are laminate but next week am getting granite.
Does size matter? With Hilts, sometimes it does. Takes some getting used to too. :lol: Thanks. Saber Review with a side of granite became a virtual Granite Preview with a side of saber. :P

Brax wrote:
Great review as always! This one has always been destined for my collection, and it is always nice to have such in-depth information on it beforehand.
Thanks Brax. Quite possibly soon (ish) after receipt of your CR PS? :whistle:

Greysider wrote:
Nice. While not a fan of this design myself, it is impossible to not appreciate the simple beauty of this hilt. Silver Knight and Archon hold this distinction for me. Congrats.
Thanks Greysider. I shall keep this in mind when/if I Review an Archon. :lol:

Gnost-Dural wrote:
elegant in its simplicity. light blue is the best combo, imho.
congrats!
Cheers Bud. That seems like such a typical Lightside/Jedi response. :lol: No surprise really, if I were to favour the Yellow, BO and Deep Red, right? :)
btw, what do you use for polishing?
There are easier and more successful ways I'm sure. What has been working is 360-400 grit wet/dry sandpaper alternating wet/dry sanding. Fine/superfine steel wool and then rubbing the crap outta-it with cut n polish wax or whatever leftover stuff I have from use on my car. :)

Zeddicuus wrote:
This just gives me more reasons to save up for this one! I love how stream-lined and simplistic the design is. No flair, no useless claws or anything to get in the way or hook on clothing. Designed with a practical, military view on how it should be done.

The size doesn't bother me at all. Makes it easier to adjust grip and can be used as melee with that kind of length and weight to it.

Very nice review!
Thank you. B)

Execute66 wrote:
The Polishing continues to be strong with you.
The photos should give me a good idea of what to expect from Saberforge Customs Polishing and clear coating service.
Thanks Ex. But surely demonstration of Customs would have been experienced first hand when you had your Phoenix come from there? My applications are rather primitive and labour intensive. Through Customs though, no doubt they'll have a bench grinder with sanding/polishing wheels that are much quicker and can achieve (I imagine) the absolute mirrored shine that you like. As for the clear coating, regardless of matte, gloss or semi-gloss, am not a huge fan as it adds an artificial glazing on top that IMO, affects wielding feel and aesthetics.

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68568

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
I can't read any more of your threads. I always end up wanting to spend more money! :lol:

Great review! It is quite a bit longer than I would have guessed as well, and that's not a criticism. I think that is a feature. The polish looks great as well.

I'm a bit confused by the AV Switch. Is it just recessed that deep? The pictures make it look like it is floating. Is that a black ring around the outside of the switch?

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68581

• OvrcAHst
HotRod wrote:
I can't read any more of your threads. I always end up wanting to spend more money! :lol:
Great review! It is quite a bit longer than I would have guessed as well, and that's not a criticism. I think that is a feature. The polish looks great as well.
Thanks HotRod. :)
I'm a bit confused by the AV Switch. Is it just recessed that deep?
It really is recessed that deep.
The pictures make it look like it is floating. Is that a black ring around the outside of the switch?
The body section is actually a shroud over the inner black ridged section, kinda like Avenger. Now the AV actually sits recessed in the black ridged section and with a second hole on the shroud, think of it as being double recessed and the black ring is actually the inner body.

V1 Silver Knight SF|Story..... Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #68633

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
OvrcAHst wrote:
HotRod wrote:
Thanks HotRod. :)
I'm a bit confused by the AV Switch. Is it just recessed that deep?
It really is recessed that deep.
The pictures make it look like it is floating. Is that a black ring around the outside of the switch?
The body section is actually a shroud over the inner black ridged section, kinda like Avenger. Now the AV actually sits recessed in the black ridged section and with a second hole on the shroud, think of it as being double recessed and the black ring is actually the inner body.

Gotcha, thanks! So like you said no accidental activations. I think I'm pretty close to ordering an initiate hilt this week and this one may be it. I'm glad to hear it feels better than the Avenger in build. :-)

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• VV Blade Plugs Compatible... (7 Posts)
    • Quote: Wait.... Yep. :dry: It's what I've experienced and not just with VV Plugs into VV emitters but VV...
    • [FOR SALE] DOWNSIZING CLE... (13 Posts)
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]
    • VV Blade Plugs Compatible... (7 Posts)
    • Wait....so according to those numbers, their blade plug is a hair too big to fit into their own...
    • Another Star Wars Trilogy... (12 Posts)
    • I am very excited by this news! There's no singleplayer game I have completed more often than the...
    • Favorite Saberforge Saber... (19 Posts)
    • Without a doubt is my ASP Reborn saberstaff. Brass/Gold powdercoat ribbs, milled shine thru Reborn...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6547
  • Latest Member: sammy12369
  • Total Posts: 65.2k
  • Total Topics: 5521
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 137
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 26
  • Yesterday Answer: 43