Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Venomous Fury.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18453

• Bietr Krrob
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
The wait for my first saber is finally over and I couldn’t be more impressed with it. I received my venomous fury a day short of 16 weeks. Of that time, it took 13 and half weeks to make it to the build queue. Not that I’m trying to complain.
I chose the following options for the venomous fury:
Tier: Champion
Blade color: 12W Deep Blue
Hilt Finish: Standard
Sound Font : Viridium
Blade length: 37 Inches
I also chose to get the covertech system and LED quick connects.

The hilt was lighter than what I anticipated when I first picked it up, but after handling it for a while I believe it has the ideal weight to it. I love how balanced it feels without the blade, but tends to be more top heavy with the balance point being somewhere around 2” above the furthest point of the emitters shroud. The grenade section makes for a very comfortable grip. I found I have just enough room for a two handed grip with using a choke point just above the switch section for the top hand. The hilt has no sharp edges anywhere, but the top edge of the shroud. I personally will not bother with taking the sharp edge of, because the hilt didn’t jab into my leg at all when I hung it off my belt with the covertech system.

With the 12W led I was fairly impressed with the brightness out of the box, but it was truly impressive after a full charge. The blade was lit fairly even with a brighter base flair. I really can’t wait to order a 12W plus LED down the road for a more evenly lit blade, even though the 12W does a great job. I’ll also probably pick up a frosted white LED for a color change option down the road.
The sound is epic and I don’t think I’ll ever forget the first time I pulled the kill key and then ignited the saber. I still have to play with the setting a bit more to find the perfect motion sensitivity for the hilt. I can’t wait to get a 2nd saber with the crimson sound font for a comparison and see which appeals more to me.

I’m very impressed with the saber and will deff be purchasing my next saber from saberforge. Now for the pictures for me and I apologize that I have no real skill with a camera.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18454

• Focus
  • Thank you received: 8
Looks good, and it must be nice for that waiting feeling to be over.
Always thought the Venomous Fury looked more like a Dark side saber, but it looks good in blue.

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18459

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1478
Love that color, and while the VF is not real high on my "gotta have" list, I gotta admit that is one sweet SOB!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18466

• Knightwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Only when they hear the howling under the moon, shall they know who strikes.
  • Thank you received: 4
I was looking forward to the review and pictures and I am not disappointed! Glad to hear that it made it's way to you bud! It looks awesome!
Champion Acolyte Deep Blue
Champion Vengeance Indigo

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18481

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
That guy looks a lot slicker than I thought it would with a blue LED.

I haven't tried the covertec system, but using a D-Ring I was not jabbed in the leg with the claw tips.

I noticed the balance point on mine was about where you explained, a couple of inches past the claw tips. How did you find the balance going one handed? Where did you find a comfortable spot to hold it that way? I found the choke up with my hand against the shroud gave the best location for swinging and spinning. The grenade grip I found worked good for spinning but made it a bit unbalanced in terms of weight.

Though I am still attempting to learn the art of saber spins.

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18493

• Bietr Krrob
  • Premium Member
Thanks everyone!
Focus wrote:
Looks good, and it must be nice for that waiting feeling to be over.
Always thought the Venomous Fury looked more like a Dark side saber, but it looks good in blue.

Yeah it's deff great to finally have my saber. The worst part was actually the wait after it was shipped and when it showed up a day later than USPS said it would lol.

I get where your coming from with it looking more like a dark side saber, but I've always loved when a light side/hero type character has a menacing weopon. Why should only antagonists get the badass weopons in other words lol. I had originally planned to get gray weathering to further push the line of where the saber belongs, but sadly that couldn't be done. But I still love how it turned out.

Zeddicuus wrote:
That guy looks a lot slicker than I thought it would with a blue LED.

I haven't tried the covertec system, but using a D-Ring I was not jabbed in the leg with the claw tips.

I noticed the balance point on mine was about where you explained, a couple of inches past the claw tips. How did you find the balance going one handed? Where did you find a comfortable spot to hold it that way? I found the choke up with my hand against the shroud gave the best location for swinging and spinning. The grenade grip I found worked good for spinning but made it a bit unbalanced in terms of weight.

Though I am still attempting to learn the art of saber spins.

I saw how you attatched your D-Ring and thought it was a pretty inventive idea, but glad you still don't have a problem with the sharp shroud either.

I havn't had nearly enough time to adequately practice with the saber, but for a single handed grip I either gripped above the switch section, which i found to be the most comfortable, but lacks a bit of control compared to holding it farther up beneath the shroud. I think I only grip the grenade section with a two handed grip. I have no experience with any type of swordsplay so I have even less experience than you lol. But I deff look forward to practicing. Just wish I had a sparring partner in my area.

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18498

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
Most of my experience with two handed is with katanas, so it's probably why I find my hand up near the shroud more comfortable for one handed as that is the location you hold a regular katana. It lets the rest of the hilt counterbalance the blade from there so it helps.

Gripping the grenade portion I found helps out with wider swings as it gives you some extra reach but let me use the momentum to get the blade back up for two handed grip. Odds are this would not work for someone shorter using the full 37" blade though given the extra length.

Mostly I use the grenade grip for two handed, as you mentioned, with my lower hand down a bit more closer to the pommel so the d-ring attachment is pressed into my palm in line with the ring finger. I find spacing my hands out like that gives me a lot more control with the longer blade.

Again, similar to wielding a katana or bokken. Been years since I used these maneuvers though so I'm a tad rusty but it's coming back haha. I do not think I will do spins so much though as my sensai never liked them and gave a lot of valid reasons to not use spins. I had bruises from the reasons for a few days hahaha.

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18543

• Bietr Krrob
  • Premium Member
Well I deff think having your hand up near the shroud gives a good increase in control. The shroud just digs into my upper hand a bit when I use that grip, which is why until I have a bit more time with my saber I'm not sure which one handed grip I will prefer.

When your using a one handed grip on the grenade section as you said above for wider swings, are you using your off hand? Thus when you bring it back for the two handed grip you don't have to adjust your dominant hand up. I'm 6'4" so it shouldn't be a problem for me lol.

I'll have to try removing the covertech sometime to see what you mean about the increased control with using a spaced out grip. My plan down the road may be to try to attach a D-ring by drilling a hole through the pommel.

Well even if it has been years I'm sure your experience will deff help increase your learning curve weather you branch of from your training to some spins or not.

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18544

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
I've messed around with off hand and main hand for wide swings one handed on the grenade grip. I'm attempting to relearn reverse stance which is why I am doing it with both. I have to reverse my grip if I use the main hand, or loosen my main hand enough for the saber to slide a bit to make the grenade grip available for the off hand. Risky move loosening grip as it would make it easier for an opponent to disarm you if they slam your blade hard enough.

Mostly it's a means to find balance, get used to the weight and reacquaint myself with my training from years ago. It'll be a long process but it's coming back slowly.

As for the hand space for extra control, that will depend on your preferences. Some people prefer their hands closer together, like a baseball bat. It tends to give more force but I find it offers less control of the tip. take it slow, shift your hands around and try the same swings to find what feels right for you.

As for drilling a hole for a D-Ring, I just used a low profile D-ring connector and used the location of the covertec knob. I have images up on my review thread and the d-ring/belt clip can be purchased from TCSS or ebay for pretty cheap. Cost me $20 CAD to get 2 sets of the ring/clip sent up to me and that included the shipping

As for spins, I've been attempting the plum flower (I think I have the name right) to help with spatial awareness of the blade and control. Only thumped myself good in the legs a few times so far haha!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Zeddicuus. Reason: attempted to adjust for clarity.

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #18604

• Bietr Krrob
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the insight into how your approaching your grip style. I deff take it into account when I'm practicing and determining what type of grip I'll use. To bad your not in the Rochester, NY area, because it would be fun to learn with someone that has experience, but at the same time learning/relearning themselves.

I deff think your method for the D-ring is the great idea, but I'm leaning more towards idea of having it through the pommel if I go down the route. I don't like the idea of having it on the grip personally when I picture myself holding it, but I'll give it a shot before I ever drill a hole in the pommel.

I think that is the correct name and I'm starting really basic with the inner and outer saber orbits. But havn't had much time yet to practice.

12W Deep Blue Champion Venomous Fury 2 years 4 months ago #19008

• Cghinds
  • Thank you received: 1
I got the same color for my sons Acolyte
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2648 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey all, Brian here from New Jersey. NJ you say? What a coincidence... Question: When someone...
    • Saber Blade Question (2 Posts)
    • No. The "thin neck blade" is a 1" blade and will not fit into the Youngling saber. The only...
    • Sacrifice. (14 Posts)
    • Was going to say that I'm not fond of the glorification of weapons (referring to the shotgun)...
    • "Solo" Millenni... (3 Posts)
    • "all these changes".. there's a smaller gun, smaller sat dish and different paint job.. For all we...
    • "Solo" Millenni... (3 Posts)
    • Honestly I think it looks really sharp and nice the way it is for this upcoming movie, it does...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6404
  • Latest Member: Morganstanely
  • Total Posts: 63.6k
  • Total Topics: 5386
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 34
  • Yesterday Answer: 52