Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Venomous Fury.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 12W Champion Purple

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23458

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Notice: I am writing this as I open/charge the saber, will update after I get experience using it.

Let my start by reading what I ordered:
Venomous Fury Champion
12w Purple LED
Standard finish
Dual tone blade plug
37in blade
Crimson soundfont
Covertech belt clip
LED quick connects

I finally got my toblerone, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the condition!

As you can see, the only damage to the box is a crease about 7 inches from one side, and 3 inches in length. After hearing about packages that may have been driven through hell, this is surprising to me.

The AV switch's ring of color seems very magenta (HTML code #FF00FF) to me, and although I'm a fan of pink, I hope this doesn't accurately represent my saber color.

My saber is currently charging, so I'll comment on its appearance.

Appearance: 9/10
Let me start by getting the very, very few negative comments out of the way.
At a glance, the saber's finish seems immaculate, but upon further inspection, I'm able to see a small scratch in the shroud.

It's about 0.375 in long and less than a hair's diameter deep. Not glaring by any means, unless it hits the right light.

The AV switch has a golden sheen to it, which is kind of bothersome. However, considering how it will be covered most of the time, it's not bad. In fact, the difference in sheen kind of draws the eye when the saber is off. Almost as if the saber was saying "press this button, I dare you." When the switch is on, however, it's impossible to notice this difference

On to the positive!!!!!
The dual-tone blade plug is gorgeous!

I can't get over how amazing this is, no matter how many times I look at it. The black detailing makes me go crazy and helps this saber seem real.

The hilt feels complete.

I can't really describe this one. The saber just looks combat ready and, barring the AV switch, everything fits together very well. The black interior of the shroud, complemented by the emitter and blade plug, sends shivers down my spine.

Honestly, my pictures can't do this lightsaber any justice. Although it first seemed simplistic, my VF now looks to me like militarized art.

Quality: 10/10
Alright, I try my hardest to never give perfect scores for anything, but I just couldn't avoid it for this masterpiece. Weighing in at 1.2 pounds, this saber feels solid both with and without the blade installed.
Another point I want to mention: people I've read reviews about the blade being too heavy or unbalanced, but my 37 in blade is actually pretty comfortable. I'm 5'9" and probably the skinniest guy you'll ever meet, so that's probably saying something. This isn't to say I could swing my saber around for hours on end, of course, but I was expecting much worse.

I've taken a break and played with my lightsaber for a bit, so on to...
Sound: 8/10
Let me start by saying the sound itself is alright. I like the dark side font a lot, and it feels powerful. Personally I'll never use the lightning sound, but it's still very difficult to understand. To the point when I have to tell myself it's lightning. I don't know, maybe it's just personal preference, but I feel like a blaster deflect is at least a recognizable sound.

My other major gripe with the sound is its boot setup. The "Sabercore: crimson" is just so cheesy, I can't take it seriously. Again, just personal opinion, (that's all this review is anyway, am I right?) but I'll try my hardest to avoid pulling the kill key in front of people.

Color: 9/10
The 12W purple is unevenly purple. The color itself doesn't really show up on cameras that well (with light compensation and all that) so I'll try describing it with HTML codes. Near the base, the light is extremely bright and kind of colored like #A500FE. However, the blue dye dies out near the tip, when it's more of a #FE00D7 color. Supposedly this color fading is fixed by the 12W+ LEDs.

Brightness/Light Distribution: 9.5/10

This saber is really bright. Because I don't have a light meter, I simply put layers of printer paper on top of the blade, near the base(see picture) in a dark room. The light continued to shine through with few problems for 10 layers of paper. It took 13 layers for me to stop seeing any saber light.

Like I said before, there's quite a lot of base flare, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. My main problem is that the tip of the blade, though looking lit up in the pictures, is clear-looking, even when lit. Again, this is supposedly fixed by the 12W+ LEDs. One other thing, is the blade plug had line-of-sight holes to the LED module, so I just added a paper circle to it, in order to make the light diffuse and help prevent blindness.

Note: This is my first (professional quality) saber ever, so I didn't really know what to talk about. I may seem a little hypercritical, but that's because I don't know what's average for these sabers. Maybe I got a fantastic deal, or maybe I'm out of luck and my saber was below-average quality.

That being said, here's my final verdict:

Overall/TLDR: 8.5/10
Honestly, I could be happier with the color and sound of the saber, but the hilt itself is phenomenal. At first I didn't really like it, but it has definitely grown on me in these past hours. Except for the only two issues I could find, the hilt is perfect. I just wish I dropped the extra money for a 12W+ module.

Now, more pictures!
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Dark Jedi Zero.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23459

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member

Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Dark Jedi Zero.

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23472

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
Very nice saber. Love that purple. A weathered red version is on my wish list.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23481

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
The 12W purple is unevenly purple. The color itself doesn't really show up on cameras that well (with light compensation and all that) so I'll try describing it with HTML codes. Near the base, the light is extremely bright and kind of colored like #A500FE. However, the blue dye dies out near the tip, when it's more of a #FE00D7 color. Supposedly this color fading is fixed by the 12W+ LEDs.
*Puts on SCIENCE! glasses*

Purple is a hard color to replicate w/a LED unit because red light and blue light have very different properties. Red light particles/waves are of a lower frequency and low photon energy than blue light which are high frequency and high photon energy (google redshift/blueshift/Doppler effect if you're curious about this). So when you try to mix the colors it doesn't typically work out well and in the case of the SF LEDs the red is dominant so it skew on the more magenta side of things. The SF indigo has the opposite effect where the blue is dominant but towards the end of the blade the red starts to dominate the color mix. At least this is how I understand the physics of it. I'm sure there's someone out there w/a better handle on it.

The 12w+ helps w/the lens flare and the color mix is a bit better but there will never be a perfect mix. As the battery drains the color difference will increase because, I think it's red, uses less energy than the blue so the color disparity will increase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanRising

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23484

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
Greysider wrote:
Very nice saber. Love that purple. A weathered red version is on my wish list.

Thanks! I hope you're able to order soon.
h2soy wrote:
The 12w+ helps w/the lens flare and the color mix is a bit better but there will never be a perfect mix. As the battery drains the color difference will increase because, I think it's red, uses less energy than the blue so the color disparity will increase.
That's my understanding of the physics of light too.

As a reference, this review and its pictures were with a fully charged battery.

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23490

• bro2044
  • Premium Member
  • "Do or do not, there is no try..."
  • Thank you received: 28
nice saber!!!! Sure maybe the 12W+ would've worked out better but its still a dam fine blade and hilt! That dang purple... I've had 2 sabers with it and it never is captured quite right. It always seems more magenta or pink-ish right?

I think if I ever go that route again I'll go Indigo. I know it can be a little too blue at points, but I love the blue-ish hue in purple sabers because it seems so much richer!

BTW completely TOTALLY agree on that "Sabercore...!!!! CRIMSON!!!" rofls man I hope this doesn't get deleted just for saying that, but man its the corniest sounding font advertisement.

"I have trouble speaking this low, but it MUST be evil!" heh
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanRising

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23492

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 983
To Dark Jedi Zero, firstly big congratulations on a fine saber!

I have read that the audio files for the sound fonts are non editable on Champion boards, i.e. encoded on the chip, but on the Hero boards they are configurable (multiple fonts) so perhaps Saberforge's design team could make the "Sabercore! Veridium!/Crimson!" audio file editable. Something similar to an outgoing message on an answering machine, where you could choose your recording or use one of your own! I understand this won't help you with your Champion level but you never know a development like this may be considered in the future.

I'm joking here but does anyone know if the original voice actress for SIRI or James Earl Jones are busy?

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23494

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
For Tyeth wrote:
...perhaps Saberforge's design team could make the "Sabercore! Veridium!/Crimson!" audio file editable. Something similar to an outgoing message on an answering machine, where you could choose your recording or use one of your own!

As far as I know, that wouldn't be possible with champion tiers because the sounds (including the boot) are permanently flashed into the board, which is why they are unadjustable.
bro2044 wrote:
"I have trouble speaking this low, but it MUST be evil!" heh
My feelings exactly :P

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23497

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I know that Champion Tiers can't be adjusted like this as they have flashed memory, which is what I meant by the font is encoded/flashed onto the chip/soundboard. I thought that maybe in the future the soundboards could be developed to include such adjustments to the boot up sound file. Apologies again. :oops:

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23530

• Dark Jedi Zero
  • Premium Member
No need to apologize, I was also just speculating that as much as I'd enjoy an adjustable boot sound file, I don't think that will happen. That's all. Maybe eventually, if we hope hard enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23531

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Having had another think about the boot up sound, I suppose it is Saberforge's branding method, like WalMart having their name on grocery bags etc, Saberforge use the boot up to tell everyone they made the soundboard! At the end of the day as long as you love your saber that's the main thing.

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23547

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Very nice saber! Your view of how it looked is similar to mine, though I was fortunate that mine arrived with no scratches. Mine ended up with those after with a lot of use hahaha.

As to the Crimson bootup, that didn't really bother me much myself. I thought it sounded more like a brit having droppd his crumpet while talking about it.

"so, dear chap *sip*, about that Sabercore..CRIMSON I dropped me crumpet yet again!"

Dunno why I hear it with that thought, but it makes me chuckle once in a while...

ANYWAYS! Very nice saber man! Good to know there are other people that are finding the 37" blades to be easily usable that are not walking beanpoles such as myself!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pegasus, For Tyeth

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23549

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 668
Very nice saber! Thanks for sharing.
"I am the Senate"

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23550

• PunsofDamage
  • Thank you received: 11
That looks fantastic!

I have a 12w+ Purple and it still fades quite a bit but I'm a HUGE fan of magenta so I could care less :D
"In a world world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big."

12W Champion Purple 2 years 1 month ago #23589

• Pegasus
Thank you for sharing. Real cool looking sabre, I wouldn't care too much about the colour,but hey that's me. ;-)
"Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination."

12W Champion Purple 11 months 3 weeks ago #71443

• PhoenixKid56
  • Thank you received: 5
Lol, this is my soon to be saber except weathered hilt...I cant wait for it to even be built...been almost 4 weeks and no word on it
In the end, it doesnt really matter, does it?

Venomous Fury Weathered Champion 12+w Crimson Purple 37'
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2648 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey all, Brian here from New Jersey. NJ you say? What a coincidence... Question: When someone...
    • Saber Blade Question (2 Posts)
    • No. The "thin neck blade" is a 1" blade and will not fit into the Youngling saber. The only...
    • Sacrifice. (14 Posts)
    • Was going to say that I'm not fond of the glorification of weapons (referring to the shotgun)...
    • "Solo" Millenni... (3 Posts)
    • "all these changes".. there's a smaller gun, smaller sat dish and different paint job.. For all we...
    • "Solo" Millenni... (3 Posts)
    • Honestly I think it looks really sharp and nice the way it is for this upcoming movie, it does...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6404
  • Latest Member: Morganstanely
  • Total Posts: 63.6k
  • Total Topics: 5386
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 34
  • Yesterday Answer: 52