Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: ASP Reviews incoming!!

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 2 weeks ago #42534

• Artair
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Let me start by saying WOOT the first ASP sabers have started shipping!!!

That being said I'm concerned that with the incoming pile of ASP reviews it will be hard to sort though them to find info on pieces you are thinking of buying/using to create your own saber. Let's face it the reviews section should be as much about spreading info on the hilt (or pieces) to help inform future purchases (or combinations) as it is a show and tell.

So I have given it a bit of thought and I think the most defining part of ASP sabers will be their Emitter. So I think I will be labeling my ASP reviews by their emitter and then describing each piece used and why I think they work well together.

If anyone has any better ideas please share them. I would like to see the ASP Reviews section be as usable and useful as possible and not just a case to show off our saber pics.

Maybe we should also have a post for ASP pics without reviews to help keep the reviews area as clean as the other news have been?

Kickstarter ASP backer 1641
2 champ ASPs and a Bane.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 2 weeks ago #42536

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 507
A system like that would be interesting, and probably helpful in the long run. The problem is that you can only do so much to standardize it (unless it becomes an official policy). Basically, people will still have to scroll through all the reviews to pick out the emitter they're looking for. No doubt that's easier than picking through a hundred different fanciful names, but at the same time it can't progress much farther than that. For example, people can try using the search function to narrow down their results to just that one emitter, but the search results will still be excluding mispellings, or punctuation nuances, etc.

tl;dr Good system, though some standardization would be ideal. Still, best idea I've seen. I'll definitely apply it, though I'll be getting comparatively few hilts.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 2 weeks ago #42538

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 502
Artair wrote:

Maybe we should also have a post for ASP pics without reviews to help keep the reviews area as clean as the other news have been?

I've been wondering about this as well. I agree that detailed reviews are going to be incredibly important for ASP sabers. Though a simple "show off" thread or sub-category in the SaberForge Saber Gallery section would be a good idea, if for nothing else just to keep them from cluttering Open Topics.

As for how the review section should be organized, I like the idea of organizing by the emitter. Another thing we could do is have the title of each review include the names of all the hilt parts used, so if someone wants to see a specific piece they could use the search bar (set to only look in the ASP reviews) to find it.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Jaden Korr. Reason: Word order

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #43579

• Ramaloke
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Has anyone done these ASP reviews yet?

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #43582

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
I don't think so. I've only actually seen two ASP hilts, both on facebook. It didn't seem like the owners were part of the forums here.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #43660

• Ramaloke
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
I wonder what percent of kickstarter participants are also forum members. I would have assumed it was a larger number as it seems you have to be at the right place and right time to find specific kickstarter items. Oh well, just curious. Thanks.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44067

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
An ASP unboxing video has come out:
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Borommakot.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44088

• agdev
  • Thank you received: 6
Interesting video. I skipped thru since its a one-handed cel phone unboxing so I honestly can't sit through 20 minutes of struggling but a few things definitely irked me about that saber.

The plug looked like molded plastic with silver spray paint and was used, apparently. The switch not functioning properly and his mention of perhaps getting the wrong color switch housing.

Again, I skimmed, as I imagine a lot of people would to instead of sitting through 20 minutes of shaky cam so if there was clarification I missed it.
Game Developer | PS4, PC
@JackSipich

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44094

• Arsen Hauer
  • Thank you received: 19
Yeah the blade plug appeared to me to be cast aluminum. Basically pot metal.
No matter what happens now, you shouldn't be afraid. Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44098

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 517
Can't speak for the plug until it's in hand, but yeah, looked molded , not machined. Might be cast aluminum.

I don't think he got the wrong switch color - it sounded like he wanted black grooves, and that wasn't an option in ASP.

The switch problems themselves are a bit concerning, but I noticed he kept pushing the middle. It's likely that there's a button at each end, so to function properly, you have to tap one specific side to hit the button underneath.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44102

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
If they do turn out to be cast aluminum, I'll probably stick with the apprentice plugs. I wouldn't be surprised; seems like it would be a nightmare to machine such small parts. Then again, I don't have even a passing understanding of the process. But I'm inclined to agree with Kouri on the switch. I think he was just pressing the wrong places.

I also find myself wishing that they shipped unassembled.

The video briefly mentions this, but a couple of the parts are dual-toned differently than in the builder; bother emitter and pommel. Gonna have to go back and look at my designs that used that part and see if they still work.
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Borommakot.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44106

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Probably safer that they ship half-assembled. That way electronics have a safe housing and threads don't get damaged. I've dropped a couple MHS pieces before, and it's a pain cleaning up threads after a piece gets dented. On the bright side, they ship un-tightened, so it's no hassle to get the hilt apart when it arrives.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44109

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Valid points. It's more for the "fantasy" of assembling it yourself, which is definitely second to making sure the item is safe and in working order.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44114

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Mm, perhaps once things settle down, parts'll ship in individual bubble-wrap-packets. Might just be that shipping out backer hilts pre-assembled is the safest/fastest way. Can minimize errors that way.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44115

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 381
The video briefly mentions this, but a couple of the parts are dual-toned differently than in the builder; bother emitter and pommel. Gonna have to go back and look at my designs that used that part and see if they still work.
I hope they correct either the builder or the parts. Otherwise I'm gonna have to get real friendly with some sandpaper.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44116

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
h2soy wrote:
I hope they correct either the builder or the parts. Otherwise I'm gonna have to get real friendly with some sandpaper.

I'd definitely prefer that they match the parts to what's currently in the builder. I didn't pay as close attention to the earlier pics of ASP, but they seemed to have finishes that matched the builder.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44118

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
I remember the Vengeance emitter looking different in the builder than it did in the promotional pictures. Kind of sad to think there're more issues. Honestly, as long as they're still in touch with the developer, fixing the textures could be wrapped up in an afternoon.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44120

• Seraphyn303
  • Thank you received: 29
I'm going to remain optimistic.. But that's not the greatest first showing.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44125

• Artair
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Watching the video i wonder if the pieces are just loosly put together to keep them from rattling around (electronics included) and damaging eachother and need to be really taken apart and put together properly. Also those "magic trick" rings are spacers to adjust the timing to get pices to line up like you want them. I dont believe for a second that it was dual ready out of the box, I dont expect it to be either.

Kickstarter ASP backer 1641
2 champ ASPs and a Bane.

ASP Reviews incoming!! 8 months 1 week ago #44126

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 502
Seraphyn303 wrote:
I'm going to remain optimistic.. But that's not the greatest first showing.

Agreed, though some of it may be because (to me at least) he picked parts that ended up making an ugly saber.

And I'm not the biggest fan of how the Graflex switch piece turned out. It would look a lot better without the faux-lever (as inaccurate as that would be). Maybe the ESB styled one with the circuit card will look better.

As for the plugs, I can see why they'd go with a cast metal. Though I already planned on buying an elite plug for my ASP saber (the Sorcerer emitter can use it) when I go to order some Viper claws, so I'm not bothered by it. Plus I ordered mine in black, so it may look a bit better.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Soundboard shortages (2 Posts)
    • Naigon on Nov 2: Quote: Unfortunately due to an unforeseen issue in securing one part for the board, the...
    • V1 CR Princess SF|Story..... (14 Posts)
    • Quote: Fantastic Princess OvrcAHst! I didn't know there was a crystal version. Nice. This was one of the...
    • V1 CR Princess SF|Story..... (14 Posts)
    • Fantastic Princess OvrcAHst! I didn't know there was a crystal version. Nice. This was one of the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4551
  • Latest Member: DamirDM
  • Total Posts: 49.2k
  • Total Topics: 3707
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 27