Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Lengthening Hilt

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68671

• Rennek
  • Thank you received: 27
I'm wanting to add a little length to my Bastion, and I was thinking about putting a male-female coupler from the ASP site between the pommel and the hilt. I wanted to ask you guys if you knew of any compatibility issues I may run into before I order the coupler. Thanks for any advice you guys may have!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68672

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
Rennek wrote:
I'm wanting to add a little length to my Bastion, and I was thinking about putting a male-female coupler from the ASP site between the pommel and the hilt. I wanted to ask you guys if you knew of any compatibility issues I may run into before I order the coupler. Thanks for any advice you guys may have!

I'll be following this, I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68673

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 579
Only concern I'd have is the coupler probably having a larger OD than the apprentice hilt, so it'd be a bit like the grenade section on an Obi hilt - not sure how it'd affect grip.

I'd also wonder if 3/4" is really enough extra length to justify the extension. Not saying it's not - honestly just wondering.

Pretty sure they'd all thread together just fine though.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68682

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 173
Kouri wrote:
Only concern I'd have is the coupler probably having a larger OD than the apprentice hilt, so it'd be a bit like the grenade section on an Obi hilt - not sure how it'd affect grip.

I'd also wonder if 3/4" is really enough extra length to justify the extension. Not saying it's not - honestly just wondering.

Agreed about the OD issue. I can give that a try tonight with my Arbiter since I left my couplers at home. I'm hopeful since apprentice hilts are listed as 1.35" OD on the main site configuration pages.

If it does end up working you should also get some timing shims. Otherwise your pommel might fall out of alignment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68691

• Reborn
  • Thank you received: 1
Kouri wrote:

Tried this with my gfs Consular. Unfortunately your concerns are valid, at least with this hilt. I'm unsure how it would measure up with the Bastion, but if Bastion has the same OD as the Consular and the Disciple, and it seems like it does, you may be out of luck. Sorry bud.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68727

• Rennek
Thanks for the info, Reborn. How much of a difference is there in diameter? All I'm really wanting to do is give myself more space to comfortably hold the hilt with two hands. Right now, the covertech knob is kind of in the way, and I was thinking if I added a coupler, I could move the covertech knob to it # and free up space on the main hilt. At the very least, I thought I might be able to remove the covertech knob completely, and add a D-ring to the coupler. If the coupler sticks out too much, and looks goofy, I won't go for it, but if it's not visibly noticeable, I may still try it.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68764

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 173
Sorry about the delay, finally got those pictures of my Arbiter that I promised:

The threads on the ASP coupler and pommel are about half the depth of the threads on my arbiter's pommel. The ASP parts have a larger ID as well. Overall, I think the effect of using an ASP coupler and pommel may work and not look too terrible, but some modifications would have to be made to use the stock pommel.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68943

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Is this what you meant? I am afraid the outer diameter is a bit bigger than the Bastion

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68944

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Looks ok on the arbiter, but the bastion looks really funky with it.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68945

• Reborn
  • Thank you received: 1
That's exactly it. Same problem with the Consular

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68950

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Maybe SF will come out with a an apprentice line sized series of couplers.

Too bad they don't really read the forums (HINT HINT - we'd buy them..)

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68953

• Rennek
I emailed customer service the other day asking about if it was possible to buy a spare Bastion pommel, and this was their response:

"Hello! At this time we do not sell these pommels separately, however we will likely add some of our apprentice pommels to our ASP shopsaberparts.com website.

May the Forge be with you!
India"

Maybe they will be adding couplers and other parts for apprentice sabers.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68967

• Sith570
  • Thank you received: 5
Kouri wrote:

Yeap totally worth it, the 2 asp hilts I've designed and bought now (second is on it's way) I have done exactally that, added in a coupler for that "little" extra length, and though it doesn't seem like much length it makes a HUGH difference to both look of length and general look and style of hilt
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Sith570.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68972

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Removing the Covertech wheel really helps if you are actually wielding the hilt in any capacity. whether actual dueling or just practice, playing around.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68975

• Rennek
That's what I'm planning to do. I want to remove the covertech knob, and add a D-ring to the pommel, but I want to get a spare pommel to add the D-ring to incase I either mess it up when I drill the hole, or end up not liking the D-ring. Unfortunately, you can't get just the pommel for the apprentice sabers, and after seeing how the couplers from the ASP site fit the apprentice hilts, I'm worried that the pommels would fit the same way.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #68987

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
So far the ASP pommels seem to fit fine. Just a matter of finding one that LOOKs like it belongs there.

Lengthening Hilt 4 months 2 weeks ago #69002

• Sith570
  • Thank you received: 5
for my design I've turned the body round meaning covertech knob is closer to the switch, was annoying at first but now it actually helps a bit with grip

Going to make a small ring with a welded clip hole for a dog clip to be able to clip it on and off my belt easy and it should just either thread on between pommel and body or be big enough to go over the pommel thread
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• The Wait Begins 4.0 (676 Posts)
    • Just got my girlfriends Phoenix in the mail! It only took 2 weeks, but it was an initiate. Very good...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (13 Posts)
    • [attachment]
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (13 Posts)
    • My favorites are the Prodigy and Renegade. When is the next SF sale? :lol:
    • [FOR SALE $395USD] V2 CR ... (2 Posts)
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]
    • [FOR SALE $395USD] V2 CR ... (2 Posts)
    • FOR SALE: V2 (weathered) Crystal Reveal Prodigal Son Price: $395USD Including Express Shipping....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4709
  • Latest Member: Rebzyawag
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 25
  • Yesterday Answer: 41