Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Good Hilt Design for Dueling?

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 2 years 1 day ago #759

• Kray0nz
  • Hi!~ Im Joseph AkA Kray0nz
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey guys i was just thinking to myself the other day...

Has anyone played around with different styles of sabers from Saberforge?

What was your favorite design that you found easiest to use?

Do you wear gloves to protect your hands?

Kray0nz
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kheragryn

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 2 years 1 day ago #762

• sf master Lucien Kane
  • Knight of Tythos Ridge
  • Thank you received: 135
Moved this to Saber combat Q&A because it's a really great question.

I will always sing praises to the Gladius. This Saber is incredibly comfortable and gorgeous, not to mention well suited for saber combat; with its wide emitter and counterbalanced pommel. The Gladius is a work horse. I wear my Gladius daily and when blades are to be crossed the Gladius is my trusted friend.

I always wear gloves when dueling. Blades to the fingers do not bode well.

When spinning for any saber with a box or the Epoch, I recommend gloves. Boxes are not friendly, and the epoch while gorgeous is an edgy hilt that begs to be respected. Gloves can make those pretty but uncomfortable hilts workable.

it's all about associating yourself with your saber. I always recommend two weeks of adjustment on a new hilt before you start doing competitive spinning or dueling .
"This challenge you will not overcome. Your lightsaber is nothing against the power of the dark side."
"That's why I always carry two."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kray0nz, Haual, Jedi Ny, Darth Intefector

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 2 years 5 hours ago #771

• Haual
  • Thank you received: 14
This is really a good post because it is true some sabers are way way way more comfortable than others. I have messed with a few that I just could not wrap my hands around properly or they hurt. That is the only reason I hate buying online some times without feeling it. I purchased a few Ultra Sabers at the Chicago Comic Con just for that reason, not that they are the best quality in the world, but because they where comfortable and I could feel them. I can't wait to get one of the sabers in from Saber Forge so I can check it out because I really want to order one for myself. The one that is on its way now is for the wife ;) Only the best for her.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kray0nz, marshall6942069, Jedi Ny

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 2 years 1 hour ago #774

• Kray0nz
  • Hi!~ Im Joseph AkA Kray0nz
  • Thank you received: 3
Awesome thanks for your feed back guys! :D

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 11 months ago #791

• Silabus
  • I am on nobody's side, because nobody is on my side. Walk your own path.
  • Thank you received: 23
The resilient looks amazing for saber combat and spinning, I currently have a epoch. It has a good weight to it, but feels a bit top heavy. Would love to feel them out before I put down money though sometimes.

The hilts feel really good on the hands, easy to grip, as well as place fingers around. Love my saber to death =)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kray0nz

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 11 months ago #1037

• Rekesh
  • Thank you received: 1
I have the Sinister Prophecy and it is very comfortable to handle. It has no protrusions aside from the Covertec clip.

I would highly recommend gloves. Working in IT as a sysadmin, at a keyboard all day, my hands are pretty easy to bang up. The saber is a gorgeous piece of art, but the edges from the machining are hard on my hands. (I already took a chunk out of my palm doing on overhead saber spin.)
"Men will lie to you. Your eyes will deceive you. Steel never lies, nor deceives, not hides bitter reality. In the sword, you can find truth."

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 9 months ago #1974

• Enoled
  • Thank you received: 4
I plan on purchasing a Venomous Fury and a Venom soon because I really like the look of the two sabers, but I plan on using them as dueling props as well as my personal sabers. If anyone has any experience dueling with these sabers some info on comfort, control, and balance of the sabers while dueling would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 9 months ago #1985

• Ravrohan
  • Thank you received: 7
I'm looking at the Fury for my first saber, it looks clean and easy to handle for dueling and spinning. I haven't seen mentioned saber weights and lengths though, are they all around three pounds and 12 inches long? I dual wield sometimes so hilt length is a factor, but one I can adjust to.

Piggy back onto that though, what is the shortest and/or lightest hilt in the shop? I'm already considering a second companion.

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 9 months ago #2050

• khaine1969
  • Thank you received: 12
I own two venoms, and regularly spar with them in dual wield, saberstaff, and murder staff setups....the venom is excellent in one hand use because when held at the choke right behind the windows the long body balances out the blade nicely, and the grenade section gives a nice solid grip.
Failure allows no excuse, victory requires none.

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 9 months ago #2054

• Jedi Ny
  • Thank you received: 20
The Fury is a pretty short hilt , to me it feels like a 1hander, but I have big hands. I took off the covertech wheel so I could comfortably weild it with two hands. The length of the hilt is just about 11"
I also have a Rebel Prince(ss) lol and I freaking love the thing it is so comfortable one handed and two, it spins great and is well balanced overall especially with the 32" or 27" blade.
My Wife weilds the Sinister prophecy and she loves it and she weilds it like a badass.
I traded my Fury for a Guardian and I can't wait to test it out!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Jedi Ny. Reason: spelling error

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 9 months ago #2144

• You_already_lost
  • Hi!
  • Thank you received: 19
Each style of fighting should have a different ideal hilt. Take this quiz to find out which style you should use

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_form_of_lightsaber_combat_do_you_use_3

Copy and paste URL into new tab

Comment on what form is right for you

Anyway, Justicar and Monarch are the best designs in my opinion.
Justicar is so comfortable and Monarch is absolutely stunning.
"Now, who said that?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kheragryn

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 9 months ago #2299

• You_already_lost
  • Hi!
  • Thank you received: 19
I also looooove the way the viper looks and feels.
"Now, who said that?"

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 8 months ago #2682

• supercookster401
  • Premium Member
  • "The wielder of the flame..protector of balance. The holder of the Torch, lighting the way. The keeper of the flame, soldier of balance. I am a Guardian of the Balance. A Gray Jedi.”
  • Thank you received: 11
khaine1969 wrote:
I own two venoms, and regularly spar with them in dual wield, saberstaff, and murder staff setups....the venom is excellent in one hand use because when held at the choke right behind the windows the long body balances out the blade nicely, and the grenade section gives a nice solid grip.

Okay, i have to ask..what's a murder staff??
"Ah, and it makes you think I may have the taint of the dark side in me, doesn't it? Ooh. Is that what you are wondering, huh? Ooh..."

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 8 months ago #2702

• Nero Attoru
  • TPLA Guardian
  • Thank you received: 24
Comfort depends greatly on personal preferences, but I find the Gladius to be a nice middle of the road option as Lucien said. He's always been a fanatic about the hilt, and ever since I got one I've figured out why. Great all around dueler, not much to get in the way or snag and the length is good for one or two handed wielding. It's comfy, it's lightweight, and it looks cool (plus between wrap types and weathering you get a ton of customization possibilities).

My other favorite hilt from Saberforge, especially for sparring, is the Guardian. It's a bit heavier than the Gladius, but I tend to use it with two hands so the balance is perfect. The detail and scale of the hilt is excellent, if you're a fan of Qui-Gon even slightly then you'll love it. It's one of the few lightsabers that I have that really feels like a weapon in my hands.

Those are my two favorites from Saberforge, though I've experienced many great hilts from various companies. My favorite hilt is still my custom Dark Prophecy from Ultrasabers, a great single hander that can work with two hands in a pinch, and I also greatly enjoy the GCS Ascend. That's another hilt that works for just about any style or preference - lightweight, well sized for one or two hands, and a simple design for minimal greeblies to get in the way.

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 7 months ago #6565

• Thovan Raal
  • Thank you received: 4
After running a saber combat group for a few years now, I've had the privilege of handling many different hilts, mostly from SF and US. I really do not care for US hilts, since I'm not going to say anything nice, I'll do as my mother taught me and not say anything.

As far as the Saber Forge hilts, I'll give you a quick summary on the ones I've used
Prodigal Son: Has been a good friend to me over the years, although the box will slice your hand up and sometimes get in the way. On the other hand, the thin neck makes it easy to spin and maneuver the blade.
Resilient: Very sleek, comfortable with the leather grip. One of the easiest and most comfortable to wield.
Sinister Prophecy: Fairly easy to wield. Not as comfy as the Resilient, but still very nice.
Viper: The claws get in the way of performing delicate maneuvers more than any other hilt I've used, but they can be used for blade trapping if your experienced enough. On the other hand, if you remove the blades, it suddenly becomes a wonderfully swift hilt that's easy to use in combat and very easy to use for spins and flourishes.
JadeFire: It's not a great hilt for dueling, but if you do so use the retention wrench to remove the box right above the activation switch. Your hands will thank you for it. On the bright side, this is a shorter hilt with a very narrow midsection making it a decent off-hand weapon.

On the subject of gloves, most will advise wearing them to help protect your hands when they get hit. Unless it's an armored glove, all I can say is that's it's still going to hurt like the dickens and won't make much of a difference either way. BUT I will advise you to wear then because the biggest threat to your hands is sometimes the hilt your holding rather than the one someone else is!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MDTaylor

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 7 months ago #6576

• MDTaylor
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 7
Glad to hear that the removal of the Jade Fire's added appendages is nice and simple. No added tools required.

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 6 months ago #6711

• Darth Carnefix
Guys sorry if this is else where in the forum but does anyon have any experience of dueling with an exalted? Seriously looking at that one but not really wanting to purchase if it's not that good for dueling.

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 6 months ago #6713

• Orion Skywalker
  • Premium Member
  • Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Use your instincts.
  • Thank you received: 5
I know Darth Mario has used it. Try looking at the reviews section of the exalted, I do believe he talked about dueling with it there

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 6 months ago #6714

• Darth Carnefix
Thank you Orion :)

Good Hilt Design for Dueling? 1 year 6 months ago #6715

• Orion Skywalker
  • Premium Member
  • Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Use your instincts.
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's the review. Might have to copy and past though, sorry :(
https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/exhalted/548-12w-amber-champion-exhalted
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• ShopSaberParts.com Lead T... (3 Posts)
    • Quote: Dunno if it's dictated by selected Parts, example1: Sept24 Ordered, Oct03 Picked up Oct10 Still in...
    • Sound Issues - Should I C... (3 Posts)
    • crazy, i'd charge the battery first then check. sometimes it's as simple as that. having said that,...
    • Sound Issues - Should I C... (3 Posts)
    • Quote: Was this just the battery being low? I don't know how long the battery is supposed to last, and I...
    • ShopSaberParts.com Lead T... (3 Posts)
    • Dunno if it's dictated by selected Parts, example1: Sept24 Ordered, Oct03 Picked up Oct10 Still in...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4573
  • Latest Member: crazythatcounts
  • Total Posts: 48.2k
  • Total Topics: 3579
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 11
  • Yesterday Answer: 20