Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Archon.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68702

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
All my recent efforts, attempts of DIY Customisingsy had a purpose, a lead-up to a very special project Hilt that has been in the making (planning).
Presenting..

Standard Finish Archon (DIY’d) 12Watt+ QC Cyan

This particular Hilt ranks extremely high on the personal favourites above many within my Collection. A jewel, gazed upon in awe and as recipient of wonder and admiration. It even challenges my Custom polished Etched GrandMaster Single as a worthy rival. The GM is an extraordinary Hilt but my involvement with that was solely on a planning one (and entrusting blind confidence & faith) with trying to achieve the vision of what I had imagined. Born from Customs (Dec15/Jan16) it was the direct result, execution and delivery led by the former SF-QuarterMaster, Justin Polachek. But this isn’t about GrandMaster, it’s about…

… Archon resonates a different energy of joy and accomplishment and is held dear sentimentally for the very reason that the modifications applied to it as part of my customisingsy wave were executed by myself. This research began almost 7Months ago, when I was still very new to the Saber scene and Hilt Industry. Archon has a unique quality surrounding its design however I always felt and firmly believed that in its default factory form, was like a flawed diamond that needed some careful attentiveness, polishing and tempering of the jaggered state as it stood. Something identified as great could be made even greater.

Following =Ottomatix=’s Custom Archon Project, my intrigue grew and many more questions spawned as comprehension started to take shape. Hours of research through online tutorials and through practice sessions trialling the applications has (I remain hopeful) paid-off. The difference though, whilst my competence is minimal at best electronically (hand steadiness thing or lack-of), I still opted for a loaded Hilt (compared to an Initiate) to isolate my customisingsyness to the Hilt body only, but still function as a brilliant glow-stick with sound. This meant I had to find a work around to the lower portion (body shroud) as I couldn’t completely remove it due to the factory-installation of the switch and charge port (it restricts removal of lower shroud). The upper part returned success and still provided me with ample flexibility.

The recessed, lightly-scored accent lines that form part of the original design are easily overlooked. Acknowledging that they do add some visual contrast to an otherwise plain body, its inclusion is what steps-it-up separating the clean finish of Silver Knight. Through my perception though, they were still too faint and required more definition.

What I had hoped was by request, to have them filled much like they are consistent to most of the other V1 finishes across SFs range but specifically as it can be seen on Epoch DT and Epoch Silver. This returned a redirection to Customs by SFCS so it became something that I would have to apply on my own as it was a finishing application that was deemed necessary and not just to cater for my preferences. Customs remains closed with Commission acceptance (at time of order placement) and whilst the method applied isn’t powdercoating or anodising, achieves a similar result.

This Hilt prompted the same surprise as Silver Knight as it was unboxed. Its length, far exceeded my expectations again. It may well be I am developing a challenged perception of depth and size from translation of image to actual.

Going for a slightly-aged and polished handled look rather the chrome-plated flawless finish of a museums showcased entry I applied some rather random effects along the body without detracting from its original beauty. The upper portion of the Hilt (that I could easily access by removal of the upper shroud) I gently stripped and recoated to achieve a semi-(simulated) titanium finish to contrast against the silver shrouds and against the matte black lower body that I couldn’t successfully access.

A minor assembly observation that marginally challenges handling efficiency, are the seated positions of the AV and charge ports. Hardly enough to stay angry at.

As part of the aged & polished handled profile, surface recoating followed with immediate stripping to achieve a smudged blemished look so that when the polishing application was effected on top afterwards, the two performed a dance of merge, blending together.

Archon’s underbelly and an example of the simulated-titanium effect over a greater surface area.

In its factory form, Archon is a longer Hilt. With the lip of the emitter shroud, it tips it greater than what I would comfortably handle with respects to aesthetics and balance. Being so elegantly slender from emitter to pommel with no flaring to its silhouette, it hints at a rather lanky stature.

If you look closely, you may notice a somewhat discreet incision, like a gutted tauntaun.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Greysider

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68703

• OvrcAHst

The semi-glazing didn’t just become limited to the primary body and was continued into the underside of the Emitter.

Similarly commented with Silver Knight about the joint-inclusion of both D-Ring and Covertech, to heighten and further complement its dimensions, the covertech was removed and the hole filled with a buttonhead screw.

The faux-switch box was sanded to soften the corners and edges and received the treatment of the aged finish. Two sockethead screws typically secure this box to the shrouds outer part and doubles as the anchor point to the Hilt keeping it rigid and solid.
I intentionally secured just the single screw (since it doesn’t lessen the hold versus two) to shyly cater for another fascination: shine-through.

Factory-fitted, default attachments, modified to suit its new Owner. Simulating a faux Crystal Chamber as light bleeds from the open wound.
You may notice a third eye directly below the shrouds top surface. This slight adjustment provides me with the flexibility to alter the Hilts appearance which I shall elaborate on later.

Some Specs and Measurements:
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Cyan| Champion Tier| Sabercore2.0 Crimson Font| Quick Connect LED Module| Silver AV, White-lit| Silver knurled aluminium kill key| Silver covertech| Silver Blade Plug

Hilt Length, from Pommel (excluding ring) to emitter flute edge: 318mm (12.9157 inches)
Hilt Length, from Pommel (excluding ring) to Emitter shroud lip: 356mm (14.0157 inches)
The Pommel’s D-Ring= 27.55mm (1.0846 inches)
Blade Socket Depth: 71mm (2.7953 inches)
Hilt Diameter: 37.95mm (1.4941 inches)

Weight: 479 grams

Balance (from Pommel to POI): 162mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 26”: 292mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 32”: 336mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 37”: 383mm

Two underside retention setscrews, the lower securing the LED Module and the upper, securing the blade/plug. Using the top of the LED heatsink as ground zero, the blade retention measures 49.40mm. With my modified design, I have integrated a second blade retention thumbscrew, doubling as an aesthetic greeblie that measures (from ground zero) 34.89mm.

The added flexibility to alter its appearance. Greeblie/blade retention on top with greeblie blade retention down low. With the third eye added to the Hilts top surface (as described earlier) this enables me to mix it-up some and also allows shortening the overall length a little. As a result, it also draws the upper shroud closer to its lower counterpart and achieves a much tighter finish. Think flared-open whilst lazily on display, relaxed and when a disturbance is felt, shields-down, flexed and tense when ready for engagement.

The Red/Brass thumbscrews were taken from V3 Avenger (that I have since replaced with others) to accessorise with.

Light brilliance from up top through accent-eyes, straight ahead from the blade-well and down under from the caesarean section. What’s not to love!?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Greysider

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68704

• OvrcAHst
The pretty lights are so mesmerising..

A third altered appearance, shroud reversed.

An undeniably exquisite Hilt whose appearance delivered by an effective design marks it truly unique and remarkable.
It is simply phenomenal.
The lines, angles and details contained in a tight package definitely validates it as a praise-worthy inclusion.

Fitted with Quick Connects is a convenient feature. With such a long and narrow blade-well though, LED Module swap-outs aren’t the easiest (like Silver Knight/Sinister prophecy) but aren’t as hard as the vigorous inverted sauce-bottle shake of Bastion/Black Lotus.
Cyan

The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68705

• OvrcAHst

Blood Orange

Amber

Deep Red

Complimentary Colours, complimenting Hilts:
Archon Deep Red versus Silver Knight Frost White

Archon.
My Archon.
The New default Setup and concluding with: Always ready to engage.

Thank you.
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by OvrcAHst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68707

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 310
Damn. That is a beauty! Well done OvrcAHst! :cheer:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68708

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 531
Hey OvrcAHst, you know I've been away for quite some time. Logged in tonight and this!^^^
A tremor in the Forge was sensed :lol:
You know I like this one and all the changes, welcome too the Archon club. As for my project it has hit a wall until I get back in the black. :pinch:

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68711

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 551
Beautiful hilt and good to read this review reports positively throughout.

The Archon is actually a unique design the more you look at it, I think. A thin neck is a thin neck essentially, or a Black Lotus and the Venom are all in the one family. But the Archon doesn't to my eyes have a near relative. Mine is always a pleasure to hold, there is something nice about its size that is balancing.

The red thumb screw is a great idea! Shall explore that at some stage.
"I am the Senate"

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68713

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1166
Damned nice saber, and the slight mods you made to it just add character! It looks like a well cared for, but very old prized possession. Awesome!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68716

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Wow!!! Damn bro, that is incredible! I love the whole thing, but damn near lost it over that 3rd shroud! Getting some real skills. Truly blown away by this one
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68724

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 284
NICE!

I love it with the reverse shroud. Awesome job on the mods and weathering/polish.

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68888

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 79
Wow, the Archon just keeps being an amazing hilt and the more shiny it is, the more it earns that regal feel of being fit for royalty.
Love the different combinations you've tried on it and that red greeblie does add a nice colour to it. But wow, that titanium really shines!
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68899

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
great concept and execution! well done, mate!!!

"From the shadows of the empire, comes the Archon. This elegant weapon is an instrument of sublime destruction, suited for the hands of a worthy master."

'nuff said.

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 1 week ago #68951

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Man, I am now going back and forth between this and the Silver Knight, but with that shroud mod, I may have to do this next....I LOVE it. That is bad to the bone.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 3 days ago #69087

• OvrcAHst
Just some additional glams of Archon with Pommel07 before I commence some additional customising to the Hilts undercarriage.

The pairing works for some ;) however I remain unconvinced completely but what it does have going for it is the Pommel aligns squared better than the default inclusion.

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 2 days ago #69089

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 284
Love love love.

Such a sexy hilt. It's too bad you live in Australia, I'd totally swap build services for your weathering. You do a beautiful job.

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 9 months 2 days ago #69111

• OvrcAHst
Jas-Ot wrote:
Love love love.

Such a sexy hilt. It's too bad you live in Australia, I'd totally swap build services for your weathering. You do a beautiful job.
naww shucks Mate. :blush: 'tis a shame, cos I'd be up for that. Simply have no grasp or comprehension for wiring electronics and things internal. If only there was a Stargate Portal accessible to make exchanges immediate. :whistle: :lol:

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 8 months 3 weeks ago #69367

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Hey OvrcAHst, I was reviewing this again. To get that 3rd revised shroud appearance (where the blade shines through the shroud), did you just have to remove the box and greeblies at the emitter?

I just want to make sure I understand what you did (and if there are any drawbacks) since I would like to buy an Archon hilt and build it in this configuration.

Thanks in advance!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 8 months 3 weeks ago #69388

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 183
That is correct. (Playing with my own Archon). The screws go all the way to the body, securing the box and shroud.

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 8 months 3 weeks ago #69436

• OvrcAHst
HotRod wrote:
To get that 3rd revised shroud appearance (where the blade shines through the shroud), did you just have to remove the box and greeblies at the emitter?
Pretty much what Bender wrote. There aren't any greeblies after the box. It's held down by two sockethead screws much like a shorter thread-pitched screw as used for the covertech. The blade retention setcrew on the underside either needs to be tightened in or completely removed also.
if there are any drawbacks?
The tapped holes for the box have very fine & short threads. Repeated fastening/loosening will see them stripped quite quickly and easily. Captain Obvious also says: the front spoiler of the inverted upper shroud is not ideal for duelling. Shelfie is okay.

I tapped a third hole topside to achieve 3 lit-spots (when wearing shroud reversed) and the slight bleed on the bottom is from the cutout I did also. ;)

BoostinIX wrote:
Playing with my own Archon
:lol: Is that what it's called now...?

V1 Archon SF|Story..... Pt III 8 months 2 weeks ago #69495

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 79
That pommel 07 just works beautifully :woohoo:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge Mystery Box S... (13 Posts)
    • Hi EX66, I would imagine it would depend on what stock levels SF have in their inventory at the...
    • Saber Forge Mystery Box S... (13 Posts)
    • What I really would like to know is how many of the 85 Champion Mystery ($300) are Shoto and...
    • Ronin sale??? (19 Posts)
    • Thanks D7, I wish they had the option to do a sleeve instead of a wrap, and I think a green...
    • Amber Prodigy Unboxing an... (21 Posts)
    • Great job SFD! That saber looks spectacular, and the amber is awesome. I've been wanting that...
    • Amber Prodigy Unboxing an... (21 Posts)
    • Loving the Prodigy, right?! It's a fantastic hilt. I enjoyed your review.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5456
  • Latest Member: Clach1988
  • Total Posts: 57.4k
  • Total Topics: 4808
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 120
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 17
  • Yesterday Answer: 48