Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Tai Chi and lightsabers

Tai Chi and lightsabers 1 month 1 week ago #75566

• Jedi Zuko Seraa
  • Thank you received: 6
So I've been super stoked about getting my parts to make my very first lightsaber and been also recently looking to improv my lifestyle (cause apparently metabolism is evil and likes to change as you get older).

That aside I am looking to maybe start Tai chi, or some other martial art, to help with my lifestyles changes.

Do any of you saber duelists partake in a particular martial art or possibly even tai chi? :) Just hoping to learn more about this awesome saber community ^_^
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Jedi Zuko Seraa.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Two Chi and lightsabers 1 month 1 week ago #75580

• RotundChap
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I did taekwondo for about 6 years and while I didn't get to work with katana-type weapon forms, the forms I learned (escrima sticks, broad sword, bo staff, and even nunchucks) lend themselves extremely well to lightsabers. My school even had a few Star Wars/lightsaber nights where we taught the kids a form that was specifically designed for the katana but with light sabers. Everyone loved it lol!

As for the lifestyle changes, definitely look into different martial arts schools in your area. Or even a Kenpo stick fighting class as it will have a focus on sword fighting that most other martial arts school may not have.

Good luck with your changes!!!

MTFBWY,
RC
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by RotundChap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jedi Zuko Seraa

Tai Chi and lightsabers 1 month 1 week ago #75582

• Darth Ceadus
  • Thank you received: 15
I've been doing karate for about 4 years. It really does help when it comes to self defense and conditioning. You become more aware and stronger if you try really hard.

Tai Chi and lightsabers 1 month 1 week ago #75583

• Lord270
  • Thank you received: 13
I also studied Tae Kwon Do for 7 years but we never learned any of that except for nunchucks but I have also studied Judo, Aikido which has a lot of bokken/katana forms in it and Iaito which is Japanese sword fighting. Of all them Judo had me losing weight like crazy and toning up but Aikido benefited me greatly on Katana work and learning combat defense, emotion control, and how to use your inner energy to defeat your opponent and progress without much rest.

Tai Chi and lightsabers 1 month 1 week ago #75584

• Darth Squidious
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Over the years Ive gotten involved in many martial arts. Judo when I was young then as I became a teenager and the blade sickness overtook me I trained in classical fencing and a few years of Karate. During my military service I pursued kendo and iaido. Unfortunately my service caused me some mobility issues so I took up Aikido, because its lower impact in general. I terms of self defense it can be found wanting even for a person like me who gravitates to the more aggressive, aikijutsu side, but it keeps me more or less flexible and at my fighting weight. Which is admittedly higher these days as I round 40.
If there is only one hot chick in the galaxy... And she's your sister.

You might be a redneck.

Tai Chi and lightsabers 1 month 1 week ago #75606

• Jedi Zuko Seraa
  • Thank you received: 6
Great to see other people into martial arts around here. Tai Chi seems to be really popular in my area and not just as a life conditioning, but as a defensive martial art. I'm definitely interested in the competitive side of it and just thought "hmmm why not lightsabers too?"

Here's to getting back into better shape!

Tai Chi and lightsabers 1 month 1 week ago #75632

• raggieapauly
Thanks for sharing this great info with us. I am really looking forward to get more stuff from you.

Tai Chi and lightsabers 1 month 1 week ago #75635

• Neesh Kedoo
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi,
I started practising Nin-Jutsu about 15 years ago. This "martial art" involves using a lot of diverse weapons (katana too of course).
It's not only weapon-oriented like kenjustu for example.

Also practise Klaus Combat, that teaches how to use modern melee weapons like short sticks, tonfa, knife,
chain...

If you want to duel, any contact sport or martial art will improve your dueling skill, even if it's not purely weapon-oriented.

Tai Chi and lightsabers 1 month 3 days ago #75755

• Dagr
  • Thank you received: 1
If you do get into Tai Chi, I'd recommend a light and sleek hilt that would more closely resemble a chinese style sword. The larger two handers will lend themselves to more of a japanese style (katana) that doesn't flow like a chinese dao / one hander.

When I tested for my black belt in bukido (weapons martial art) I did a lightsaber routine with another friend combining traditional chinese and japanese strike elements (set to duel of the fates of course). ;)

So yes, you can definitely blend sabers and martial arts!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• yellow FoC with tri-cree/... (5 Posts)
    • Thanks for the tips, everyone. I ordered both a pR/pR/Lime and a pR/pR/W (warm white, 2700K). I'll...
    • My First Comic Con (12 Posts)
    • Hi Takamatsu, You are famous as far as I'm concerned! And it was a pleasure to meet you....
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (742 Posts)
    • Quote: One my my sabers just shipped. Ordered on 6/8 and shipped 6/27. That's pretty darn fast! Just...
    • Bossk - Warning - LOTS OF... (33 Posts)
    • Following on from my meeting with For Tyeth at a recent Comic Con I thought I'd post a quick update....
    • My First Comic Con (12 Posts)
    • Hi For Tyeth, it was great meeting you in person and seeing your Bossk inspired lightsaber in the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5269
  • Latest Member: Annotationsmll
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4693
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 2
  • Yesterday Answer: 15