Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Another Graflex 2.1 Build

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 6 months 3 weeks ago #72050

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
This probably should have been posted a while ago as I finished this build back in July/August but I wanted to fine tune it a little bit by getting it to be a little more movie accurate. This happens to be my first build. Why not? A Graflex should be on everyone's to do list at some point. If it wasn't for that hilt, we probably wouldn't be on a site like this. There are so many of these on the internet right now in forums and YouTube that I won't get into too many details. This is from Randy's batch from over the summer (dubbed the 2.1) and overall I was pretty happy with the quality. I'm not a Graflex expert by any means and I know about some of the inaccuracies as well as other flaws in the hilt (clamp, texture/color, etc..) compared to a vintage, but this was a nice alternative to spending close to a grand for one on eBay. I used Goth's knight chassis with a crystal chamber, a Spark 2, recharge port, BrBW tri-cree, dual activation switches both in the red button and under the clamp card (thanks to watching Shameem's video) and a ton of mods to make it more accurate. I went for the ESB look. Both Red buttons are new from Roman's Props and are functioning buttons as well (meaning these press down and come back up). The clamp card is from Slothfurnace, all hex screws have been replaced with either slotted screws or rivets. ARKM Graflex blade plug (7/8th's), Wanna Wanga's kobolt D-ring and the Graflex pommel cap from KR sabers. If you want to attempt it, I highly suggest watching "Let's Build a Graflex" from East Coast Sabers on YouTube. He literally walks you through every step. Here are some pics and the link to the album for those that want to see it. Thanks for looking.
http://imgur.com/a/sLyAC

- Light em up

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, OvrcAHst, DK44

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 6 months 3 weeks ago #72053

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 554
Well done! That Sloth Furnace card looks great!

I'll be posting a review soon of my Korbanth / Vader's Vault Flex's soon. Korbanth continues to excel with the best movie accurate hilts.
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 6 months 3 weeks ago #72059

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 162
Looks fantastic! Great job! I'm in the beginning stages of building my Graflex---still need to acquire some more things before I really get going though. I decided to make mine TFA style.

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 6 months 3 weeks ago #72062

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
DK44 wrote:
Looks fantastic! Great job! I'm in the beginning stages of building my Graflex---still need to acquire some more things before I really get going though. I decided to make mine TFA style.

I know some people made all 3 versions but I just don't have that much time to do it (as fun as that sounds). I hope to do ANH version before the end of the year but with either Roman's (if they fix the blade adapter) or with The Graflex Shop's version that comes out in March. Gonna try a clamp by TGS and see how it compares to Roman's. There are a lot of little pieces to make this guy more accurate but so worth it if you can track them all down and afford it. Are you doing a "see-through" glass eye?
- Light em up

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 6 months 3 weeks ago #72065

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
DK44 wrote:

I know some people made all 3 versions but I just don't have that much time to do it (as fun as that sounds). I hope to do ANH version before the end of the year but with either Roman's (if they fix the blade adapter) or with The Graflex Shop's version that comes out in March. Gonna try a clamp by TGS and see how it compares to Roman's. There are a lot of little pieces to make this guy more accurate but so worth it if you can track them all down and afford it. Are you doing a "see-through" glass eye?

Yeah I want to do the see through glass eye--I really like the way that looks. I've read some stuff on how to do it--it seems like it would be easy enough to do....What did you use as your blade retention? I'm planning on using the top red button as a blade retention screw (i bought a clamp activation switch) but I'm not sure if that will be enough of a retention if i put in the see through glass eye...might have to find a longer screw (to replace the one above the glass eye)

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 6 months 3 weeks ago #72072

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
DK44 wrote:
Yeah I want to do the see through glass eye--I really like the way that looks. I've read some stuff on how to do it--it seems like it would be easy enough to do....What did you use as your blade retention? I'm planning on using the top red button as a blade retention screw (i bought a clamp activation switch) but I'm not sure if that will be enough of a retention if i put in the see through glass eye...might have to find a longer screw (to replace the one above the glass eye)

I used the slotted screw underneath the emitter as my retention screw. The only issue with using the buttons as blade retention is that they are more noticeable when they stick out when the blade is in. If that doesn't bother you then go for it. You're probably already on the "Graflex Addicts" Facebook page, but if not, check it out. They have great ideas and help point you in the right direction when stuck. They helped me quite a bit during my build.
- Light em up

The following user(s) said Thank You: DK44

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 5 months 2 weeks ago #73592

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
Here is my long overdue video review of Korbanth's Graflex 2.1 with a Spark 2 for those interested.

- Light em up

Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Andi-Jae EL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Borommakot, DK44

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 5 months 1 week ago #73596

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
Looks great man!

Another Graflex 2.1 Build 5 months 1 week ago #73597

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 566
Fantastic job! I had no idea that dual activation was even a thing.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Redeemer V2 Medium Blue (4 Posts)
    • Great story and I'm glad you were finally able to add this beauty to your collection. I agree about...
    • Redeemer V2 Medium Blue (4 Posts)
    • Beautiful but photos don't do it justice! I know how amazing it looks in real life! The Redeemer is...
    • Yellow LED brightness? (3 Posts)
    • Yes, the 12W+ Yellow appears less bright to our eyes compared with many other colors. Use a Yellow...
    • I CAN'T WAIT! (2 Posts)
    • Still won't upload photos from my iPhone.. I'll use my laptop to get pictures up soon sorry guys

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5526
  • Latest Member: BorisEl
  • Total Posts: 58.3k
  • Total Topics: 4857
  • Total Sections: 23
  • Total Categories: 129
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 6
  • Yesterday Answer: 21