Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: DIY Crystal Chamber for staff coupler

DIY Crystal Chamber for staff coupler 4 months 3 weeks ago #72311

• Darth Squidious
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 51
Hey guys,

I've been working on a saber staff/pike for awhile now, budget allowing and wanted to add a crystal reveal to it. I happened to have a long staff coupler kicking around and wondered if I could convert it to a crystal chamber w/o compromising the sound.

So here is what I came up with:

This is a quartz crystal sandwiched between 2 led reflectors and wrapped in clear rubber shower door seal. Its all held together with some strategically place super glue.

First I had to find a crystal the right size (I actually cut this one to size w/ a masonry saw attachment for my dremel. Greatest...tool...ever.) Then, being very careful to check my work as I go, I shaved the reflector lenses to just a hair under the ID of the coupler, essentially till I could drop them through the coupler. The size was important because I wanted the capsule to pressure fit inside the coupler.

Once everything was the right size I glued the lenses on top and bottom as symmetrically as possible and then glued the rubber seal around the outside perimeter. Once done, the capsule fit perfectly into the coupler.

Light 'em up!

Now I'll order some accent LEDs and wire it to one of my sabers, probably w/ a harness or plug of some sort.
If there is only one hot chick in the galaxy... And she's your sister.

You might be a redneck.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

DIY Crystal Chamber for staff coupler 4 months 3 weeks ago #72321

• Heliolord
  • Thank you received: 13
Very nice. What will you do for the wires passing through to connect to the main LED? Or is it designed to go on below the electronics?

DIY Crystal Chamber for staff coupler 4 months 3 weeks ago #72362

• Darth Squidious
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 51
What I'll likely do is wire and accent LED to the main LED of the saber but run it through to the bottom and have some plug or harness so I detach it or just tuck the accent back into the hilt when I remove the coupler. I might also cut out some of the risers in the coupler for a better reveal.
If there is only one hot chick in the galaxy... And she's your sister.

You might be a redneck.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5308
  • Latest Member: IanjAcure
  • Total Posts: 56.3k
  • Total Topics: 4718
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0