Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shadow's Bane (MHS saber - Part 1)

Shadow's Bane (MHS saber - Part 1) 1 year 2 months ago #31951

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
So I've taken the plunge. Not quite ready for an expense for the likes of SF yet, but I managed to persuade the wife due to the closeness to Valentine's day with a little sucking up, a visit to work, an iced cappuccino, a nice limited edition t-shirt, and the promise of a new pretty Valentine's ring and scored some unused MHS parts from TCSS second hand for a decent price. It was either that or a very used MR Graflex for the same price. Thought I'd get creative instead and make it a better investment and learn some skills in the process...hopefully. I'm not exactly sure which parts they are. I believe it consists of a blade holder, two extensions, and an adapter part. No pommel, but that's ok. I don't really care what the parts are, my plan is to get creative.

However, I've got no ideas off hand for any unique looking sabers. I'm somewhat limited with the parts that I'll have (can't make a unique looking emitter or anything really with the style it is), but as to the aesthetic and decoration it's a blank slate. What do you guys do to get ideas? Sketch? Google? Or go in blind and see what happens? My sister and I went hardware store shopping yesterday as well to see what parts we could find that we could use. We're going again tonight maybe. It's not a complete saber, but I'm excited at the prospect that my journey has started and I'm not just "all talk" anymore. It's nice to dream, but now it's becoming a reality!

I'll probably be posting on the TCSS forums as well and scrounge around for inspiration. Working with parts like this is completely new to me so I don't want to get overwhelmed, but I don't want some pipe flashlight either. I'm also planning on buying a Hasbro Bladebuilder from walmart for its sound board as they're only like $32. Anyway, wish me luck! My wait begins, but at least I'm not just waiting and not able to do anything. I can look for other parts and plan around what's coming. Not as exciting as getting a full new and complete saber, but exciting nonetheless!
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by MusicallyInspired.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #33997

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
The parts arrived yesterday! Here they are. It just needs a pommel. I'm going to the hardware store as well to get a sink tube sleeve cover to carve out and some other amenities for custom detail. The blank slate is a bit overwhelming at the moment, but exciting! Can't wait to make it my own.

Here's an alternate way the parts can go together. I prefer the former, but this version does have a neat spot placement for the switch and when holding two-handed, your hands fit naturally around the adapter part without touching where the switch would be. I do like the grenade section further up the hilt, though.

EDIT: Here's some more pictures have I remembered that I had four parts instead of three. This is the way I'd rather have it with the grenade section higher up the hilt next to the blade holder.

Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by MusicallyInspired.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #33998

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 535
I also think your first configuration looks best. Are you planning to detail these parts at all?

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34003

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Absolutely. Bit by bit. I was going to use rubber gaskets in the grenade and blade holder groove sections, but I've been told that weathering or painting would be better. I'm going to the hardware store to get a sink tube that I can carve for a sleeve design. That's all I have in mind right now, but that won't be the end of it. I feel like I'm a bit in over my head as I've not done this before, but there's a first time for everything.

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34007

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 535
Indeed. Good luck with it!

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34008

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 38
I've eyeballed TCSS site a whole lot and would LOVE to have the time and tools to do some custom work of my own like that! Odds are I'd thrash several parts before getting anything decent, but would still be fun to work on!

Good luck with your project! Be sure to post images as you go to show your progress!

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34010

• tracker9685
  • Thank you received: 8
I can't wait to see how it turns out!

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34011

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Thanks! I will take pictures of my journey!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tracker9685

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34027

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 510
Good luck brother. I'm going thru the same DIY dilema myself. You might want to consider paper towel roles as a template to sacrifice for sleeve design. Can't wait to see you creation.

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34029

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 510
=Ottomatix= wrote:
You might want to consider paper towel roles as a template to sacrifice for sleeve design.

^^^Great advice right here!

I orignally wanted a MHS saber for my first build, but TCSS is always out of the parts I want :P

I think the rubber gaskets would look great with the grenade section!

To quote Senator Palpatine, "And you, young [MusicallyInspired]; we will watch your [saber-building] career with great interest!"
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Jaden Korr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34031

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 721
Hi MusicallyInspired,

This YouTube videos may be of interest from Rob "Madcow" Petkau covering shroud work on MHS Parts.

https://youtu.be/znfG85QhSX0

I hope this is of help,

For Tyeth

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #34032

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
I'm sure it definitely will. Thanks!

MHS saber on the way 1 year 1 month ago #37560

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Been going over additional parts at TCSS to complete my saber. I'm thinking of adding two pieces: a choke, and a bullet-style pommel. This puts it to just a hair under 14" (which seems like it would be kind of long), but it's all I can do with the current parts I have and with the parts that are currently in stock at TCSS. Here's my design so far. I really wanted the grenade section near the blade holder, but that's just not going to work for space for the button/LED anywhere. Also did a powder coating look as I'm thinking this would make a sweet dark side saber. Though, I'd have to have my current parts sent back and powder coated to get this look (I don't even know if they will take your parts and PC them).

The following user(s) said Thank You: tracker9685

MHS saber on the way 1 year 3 weeks ago #41874

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
More parts came in! The bullet pommel was out of stock by the time I ordered so I got a smaller one. No powder coating either. Instead I opted for one of the limited stocked NB v3 boards. A little longer than I expected, but it's grown on me fast. Can't wait to get going on this puppy. Might start shopping around with this thing for brass sink tube sleeves for some kind of design.

MHS saber on the way 1 year 3 weeks ago #41875

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 434
Interesting! Keep us posted and it does look very nice!
"I am the Senate"

MHS saber on the way 1 year 3 weeks ago #41876

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 973
That is a man-sized saber my friend! You are going to need at least a 37" blade to balance that one!

Love the design too!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

MHS saber on the way 1 year 3 weeks ago #41881

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
I'm not exp in saber dueling, but you may want to find some sort of wrap for the ungrooved section. I did play baseball for a very long time and can assure you if you don't have something to help hold on and get slightly sweaty that baby will fly. Gloves would also work, I'd go with recievers gloves from football there. Someone else can address this better. You know someone who has dueled? lol. Just don't want you spending a ton of time and money. Then the saber decides to migrate for the summer. B)
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

MHS saber on the way 1 year 3 weeks ago #41932

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Thank you! I was planning on going for 37" anyway. My next saber will be smaller I think (hilt and possibly blade) so I can have some variety. But this beastly looking light side hilt looks quite formidable against any dark side foe! It will need a fitting name. I'm not very good at names, unfortunately. But I'll hold of on naming it until it's completely finished. Let's see where this takes me...

MHS saber on the way 1 year 3 weeks ago #42607

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
I made a replica as closely as I could with ASP just to get some inspiration for some details I could incorporate onto the MHS original. Interesting results. It's about as long, but it required a hilt with a handwrap to get that length. Not sure about handwraps, but I might go with it as it looks nice. Also, I never thought about putting the switch on the choke...that's an interesting idea. I wonder if I can pull it off. Or maybe it'd get in the way of handling it. We'll see.

Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by MusicallyInspired.

MHS saber on the way 11 months 1 week ago #51490

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
After weeks and weeks and weeks of research and fundraising, I've made a big order today from TCSS! This will get me 90% of the way there. I'd just need a few extra materials and tools and I'll be finished after construction! Here's my order list:

Last Edit: 11 months 1 week ago by MusicallyInspired.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Payment types? (4 Posts)
    • The bottom of the site says they accept American express, Visa, discover, Mastercard, JCB and there...
    • well..........that sucks.
    • Apparently they don't accept Paypal I asked CS a while ago which payment options they accepted. They...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: SWEET! I will definitely be getting an Aeon. Prodigy looks great too. I'd have to see some...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4710
  • Latest Member: TARoberth2C1e
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 32
  • Yesterday Answer: 41