Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ?

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68297

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1880
Anais , arn|ah|ee|ce
Adaptive Saber Parts Configured Build.

This is one of those times when the desire to own a Dissident and with still remaining not completely convinced with wrapped Hilts, walked the path via ASPs door to configure it differently.
This happened.

Some Specs and Measurements:
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Red Orange| Pro Assembly| Champion Kit|
Sabercore2.0 Crimson Font| Black Momentary, Amber lit Switch| Charge Port.

Black Dissident Emitter| Weathered Mauler Switch| Weathered Exile Body| Black Pommel02

Hilt Length: 310mm
Blade Socket Depth: 46mm
Emitter Diameter: 38.07mm
Switch/Body Diameter: 34.91mm
Pommel Diameter: 40.54mm

Weight: 472 grams

Professional Assembly:
This was a preliminary release (and remains current) that incorporated the charge port inclusion shortly prior to the Champion V2 PnP Kit Release that soon followed. I debated between Warrior/Champion and whilst in a silenced room: blade colour, brightness and Hilt aesthetics are the elements that are measured but personally, nothing is more chill-invoking than the ignition sound. With Champion setup I can always mute the volume from the onboard Menu (or like another when the Speaker and its associated wires decide to do the opposite of working) or simply muffle the Pommel vent during ignition to achieve the same. If I went straight to Warrior, the former becomes a little more difficult to re-enact when wanting sound to blast through the vents.

I procrastinated longer than I usually would prior to completing this purchase. Enquiries with SFCS returned that screen-grabs from the Builder Site to assist with alignment preference would not be accommodated. Stating the very same by Order Notes (without the visual aids) would also, not be accommodated. The only instructions I could convey that would receive any recognition (but not conveniently guaranteed) was the default versus flipped positioning of the selected Parts. So if deciding to proceed, it became a punt towards caution without any certainty to what product and how it is aligned would be delivered.

I firmly believe that the titled reference of Professional Assembly (PA) seems more like Assembled by Random Saberforge Technician (at his/her discretion at time of execution).

This influenced-after Kota Hilt may well have been assembled by Kota Circa TFU2 and notso much Kota TFU1. Without obvious eyesight, relying solely on Force Vision apparently has its limitations. :dry:

With accepting the punt moving forward I figured, worse-case, the commonly present shroud tightened by shared blade retention screw over the> Emitter-well could be loosened and corrected at 180 degrees (much like Rebel Emitter, Reliant to name two). Boy was I wrong. Expecting the shroud to be completely independent to the emitter-well proved to not be the case. The entire Emitter looks to be a once piece cast and machine finished. Perhaps the stock Dissident Emitter from Main Site may be machined differently and exemplifies the two-piece assembly, but I guess I’ll never know.

Whilst Parts are mostly centred and straight against the vertical axis, it still serves little comfort or satisfaction as a completed result. With reference to image above, either I have ill-perception of orientation or simply place too much confidence to what would be deemed as logical placement. Likely I have FA of any idea with presuming expectations would be met. He discussion was exchanged once in a separate Thread, through identification and ensuring switches would be lined according to the facing Emitter. Well it looks to be yet another time where I had hoped to be proven wrong but wasn’t.

The Emitter features an angle-cut shroud that envelopes the emitter-well (blade socket). I would expect that the longer edge of the taper, drawing backwards to expose the blade socket marks itself as the obvious topside. Being a greeblie-Nut I went for the more conspicuous Mauler Switch for the very inclusion of the surface dials. With reference to the following image of a stock Dissident (granted that pictured is a Hero Setup with two AVs), the AVs (switch holes) are consistent to the appropriated topside of the Emitter snout.

That didn’t happen with my Professional Assembly.

What further adds to the confusion is the fixed positioning of the Covertech. This typically marks the Hilt-surfaces underside, again consistently demonstrated with the stock Dissident image. So… essentially what I have is Confusion Delusion or in spirit of Halloween, a potato disguised as a Pumpkin.

The delivered result. This is the: Topside; Bottomside; A-side. Take a pick.

The brilliance of Red Orange. This much remains consistent to illumination and brightness having Reviewed this colour before. Here though, as I didn’t just get a single LED Module in Red Orange but the Hilt that contains it as well, it measures just a small part of success from an otherwise challenged, assembled Hilt.

Further aspects of unwillingness to accommodate was being advised that the Champion Setup resulting from Pro Assembly would also include the Vibration Motor that has become standard on the V2 PnP Kits.
*gasp* It doesn’t.
Wanting the LED Module to have Quick Connect wiring also..
*gasp* No.

So… I build strategically chosen Parts from saberparts.com, Order said Parts from shopsaberparts.com and it becomes Ready To Ship in +/- 2 Weeks. It is factory assembled and the options surrounding are minimal to non-existent. Versus Ordering a Pre-configure/Built from Etsy and having to accept the leather wrap as-is and it becomes RTS in 3-5 Days, versus Ordering Main Site, becoming RTS 8+ to 12+ (-) Weeks in stock form.

Or just stay with shopsaberparts and go PnP without the PA, and (like a puzzle) fine-tune/tweak the alignment with/without Timing Shims just for the sake of the charge port’s inclusion. *sigh*

Ordinarily, I’d just park this Title-reference into a FFS Series Order but the deflation has just prompted a ?.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, =Ottomatix=

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68298

• OvrcAHst

Silver aluminium knurled kill key (again?). Winning +1.

Single blade retention setscrew on left (blurred in background) with the single LED retention setscrew on right.

Let’s just call this the Other side of the Switch Part.

A (just don’t know which) Side.

Backside.

I remain unsure of this delivered Hilts completed result and my experiences with the PA haven’t returned the best of successes.
Maybe I should have stayed on-the-fence with including Dissident (or variant-of) to my Collection because whilst I have it now, the feeling surrounding it is indifferent.

With the blades colour coinciding to Halloween and the approximate-timed Posting of this writeup, recipient moreof Trick and lessof Treat.

Anais. The name of an Ex(perience) that left me humbled and burnt.

Distressed. If this Hilt represents Anakin in ROTS, well when you play too close to a river of lava (or inadvertently stand on the low ground), trying for the high ground = Toast(ed).

From the Fiery gates of Hell to frostbitten caves, scorched and seared to the
fatigued & callused hands of the wielder.
The charred embers of what remained. Blood Orange is the fire.
Blood Orange is her demeanour, temperament and personality.
Untameable.

Peace is a lie…

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, Borommakot, HotRod, Renfrik

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68300

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 575
Nice middle ground. It came out looking great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68302

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Dang bro! You did great work on that. It looks great after you removed most of the andodization (?). I'd ove to hear how you do it..
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68303

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 713
Congratulations on your Pro-Assembly ASP hilt. I see you have modified the finish once again! Looks good.

I love Pro-Assembly. It's a unique form of customization.
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Execute66.

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68307

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 174
Looks great, although I do have to say I like the original configuration better - but I do have to give props for the 'Distressed', it looks like it really has been besides a burning volcano :D
And man, the sabers just keep coming - secret millionaire by any chance :P
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68318

• OvrcAHst
Thanks everyone with your posted comments. B)

Borommakot wrote:
Nice middle ground. It came out looking great!
Thanks Borom. If in fact the arena was set on a gentle-sloped hill of dirt beside a lava-lake, with Anakin on the lower and Obi on the higher, the dropped hilt does conveniently sit in the middle ground, right? :P

SuUpberSith wrote:
Dang bro! You did great work on that. It looks great after you removed most of the andodization (?). I'd ove to hear how you do it..
Thanks Bud. Would you believe that with attending an open cremation recently, I used it to stoke the fire?

:lol: The clear coating on this finished Hilt was done heavy handed. Didn't exercise any restraint with this one (and was already fuelled by emotion with the assembled result and the conclusion with CS) and kinda just went nuts at it much like Kylo doing the same at the computer console. :dry: The Neanderthal method used (thought it was genius at the time) was clamped down an inverted belt sander with 80 grit belt attached and because the Hilt is pretty uniform with all covertech and greeblies removed, machine-sanded it off (was getting sick 'n tired of the hand method). I have a used and worn 80 grit belt that might as well equal a 2000 grit pad so just alternated between the two. Then followed with a wood file to score the surface on angles and then used scotchbrite coarse metal scourer and a stainless steel scourer and then grabbed coarse bristled steel and copper brushes to abuse the surface. Ended-up doing a hand sand as it started to take a different appearance and then rubbed dafuq out of it with a soiled rag with dirt, aluminium and grease residue to add the colour. Nuts, right? :blink:

Execute66 wrote:
Congratulations on your Pro-Assembly ASP hilt. I see you have modified the finish once again! Looks good.
Thank you. Accidentally achieved DIY mutilation.
I love Pro-Assembly. It's a unique form of customization.
Yeah.. unique is one way to describe it. Can't really comprehend the customisation side of things when all the PA entails is the assembly of pre-selected parts (by you) and the sanding method of threads is done before the Hilt is glued, much like a standard Main Site Order.

I had Pizza for dinner the other night. I selected pepperoni, cabanossi, Italian sausage and capsicum (the 4-topping pizza) and the Assembler put it onto a sauced base, topped it with cheese and loaded it into the oven. :dry: Randomly cut 4 times to give me 8 odd shaped slices but for $4.95 and a 6-pack of long necks on Movie Night, doesn't warrant a phone call to CS. :huh:

CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Looks great, although I do have to say I like the original configuration better
When you reference the original config., do you mean the wrapped stock version?
but I do have to give props for the 'Distressed', it looks like it really has been besides a burning volcano :D
Thank you. After a hurricane, sometimes rainbows can be seen. :)
And man, the sabers just keep coming - secret millionaire by any chance :P
I remember the life changing events like it was just yesterday...

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

:lol: No.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot, CrimsonJax88

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68325

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
After reading this I understand your frustration with the PA option. It seems to need some fine tuning at least in this case. Those issues aside, this is a great ASP design IMO. Looking forward to the next part of this story. ;)
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68331

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Looks great, although I do have to say I like the original configuration better
When you reference the original config., do you mean the wrapped stock version?

Nah, I mean the ASP configuration you did - Rahm Kota's lightsaber is cool and makes sense in the game and such, but as a hilt on it's own I always felt the design was too 'simple'; a leather wrap with a cool emitter, nothing else.
So your Anais to refer to it as that, looked really cool and personally I feel it was awesome as it was, but as said, the Distressed is also very well done.
And haha, your gifs remind me of this :lol:

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68345

• OvrcAHst
Greysider wrote:
After reading this I understand your frustration with the PA option. It seems to need some fine tuning at least in this case. Those issues aside, this is a great ASP design IMO. Looking forward to the next part of this story. ;)
Thanks Greysider. Don't disagree with your observation. Seems like I get many wrongs with few rights.

CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Nah, I mean the ASP configuration you did - Rahm Kota's lightsaber is cool and makes sense in the game and such, but as a hilt on it's own I always felt the design was too 'simple'; a leather wrap with a cool emitter, nothing else.
So your Anais to refer to it as that, looked really cool and personally I feel it was awesome as it was, but as said, the Distressed is also very well done.
Gotcha! I had similar opinions to your observations about stock Kota so attempted a re-invented Kota. I thought I'd be okay with it but the All Black Emitter was just underwhelming and kinda boring. The anodise has a heavy gloss to it that was blended with a matte finish too and under general view looked like a fake sugary glaze. It's unlikely it will stay 'distressed', just waiting for a lightbulb moment to decide how to reinvent it again.
And haha, your gifs remind me of this :lol:
:lol: That Video was Gold! Kinda creates new definition by visual imagery to Metallica's Enter Sandman, which in this case, SandPeople. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: CrimsonJax88

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68349

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
Haha, don't tell my wife; she's heavy into metal (no pun intended... or maybe? :P ) and although she loves Star Wars, she would take any opportunity to start singing metal songs while I'm entranced by the saga :lol:

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68372

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 430
It seems to me that you keep getting not the shortest end of the stick, but the "average" stick. And by that I mean you seem to be getting builds done but what I would consider to be an "average" builder at SF. Not horrible, but there's a few, "Why the fuck did you..." pieces to the build.

I think SF has a great product in the ASP pieces, but assembly leaves something to be desired. SF seems to be dealing with a Quantity VS Quality issue with their business model. When it comes to "custom" sabers, I see three distinct roads to go down.

1) By a prebuilt, pre designed hilt with minimal customization - cheapest route, and when it comes to certain companies, your best bet for a well built hilt or if you want it fast
2) Built by a custom Sabersmith - whether off the shelf parts, or a completely tooled from scratch. Going to cost you $$$ but a good smith with build you an awesome saber
3) DIY - Can't really get any more custom than this. SF ASP PNP kits make this a little easier if you want a sort of "off the shelf" custom saber. But, nothing is quite as satisfying as making something with your own hands.

Anyway, my rambling point to all this OvrcAHst is with the amount of $$$ you spend on these sabers, I feel like you could invest a teeny bit of those coins into learning to solder and build one or two yourself :-)

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68403

• OvrcAHst
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Haha, don't tell my wife; she's heavy into metal (no pun intended... or maybe? :P ) and although she loves Star Wars, she would take any opportunity to start singing metal songs while I'm entranced by the saga :lol:
:lol: hahaha. I am reminded of those times back in the day where I attempted to combine/create Meme-Songs in the 'Something New' Thread. Did a few Metallica ones meet SW IIRC. :P and just how heavy is the metal that missusCrimsonJaxx88 is into? I know metal density can vary and whilst it's not the heaviest that's out there, using say Divine Heresy as a benchmark: higher or lower? ;)

Jas-Ot wrote:
It seems to me that you keep getting not the shortest end of the stick, but the "average" stick. And by that I mean you seem to be getting builds done but what I would consider to be an "average" builder at SF. Not horrible, but there's a few, "Why the fuck did you..." pieces to the build.
:lol: Bring your kids to work Open Day? Instead of build-your-own-teddy-bear, buildAsaber.
I think SF has a great product in the ASP pieces, but assembly leaves something to be desired.
Don't disagree about the assembly. Sold as no experience necessary and for the most part, screwing together the threaded pieces is just that and is not much different to unscrewing a drink bottle cap, it's the alignment that's not. Am not shy to admit that I'm a klutz with electronics and the PnP Kits cater for that. The parts are simple enough much like kids Lego (not adult Lego) in that they piece together without any thought or deviation. Introduce Timing Shims. Maybe it's just me with shit4brains but at degrees of 30/90/120 in sets of 9, trying to figure out the correct use (and order) is like the Rubiks Cube (I suck at that too). My level of DIY is more like a 4piece puzzle that makes a square but the difference is stacked puzzle pieces unlike stacked shims don't create a raised metal surface that is as comfortable as a mini tactile switch. ;)
SF seems to be dealing with a Quantity VS Quality issue with their business model. When it comes to "custom" sabers, I see three distinct roads to go down.

1) By a prebuilt, pre designed hilt with minimal customization - cheapest route, and when it comes to certain companies, your best bet for a well built hilt or if you want it fast
2) Built by a custom Sabersmith - whether off the shelf parts, or a completely tooled from scratch. Going to cost you $$$ but a good smith with build you an awesome saber
3) DIY - Can't really get any more custom than this. SF ASP PNP kits make this a little easier if you want a sort of "off the shelf" custom saber. But, nothing is quite as satisfying as making something with your own hands.
Or... simplified as Buy or don't buy and if buy, expect it to be right? :)
Anyway, my rambling point to all this OvrcAHst is with the amount of $$$ you spend on these sabers, I feel like you could invest a teeny bit of those coins into learning to solder and build one or two yourself :-)
A valid point. Dollar expenditure is stupid but it's relative. If I were a Back2theFutureFan or a Batman Fan and bought respectively a replica DeLorean or Batmobile to park in the driveway it would receive less scrutiny. :whistle: With Sabers and a Collection that is bigger than most at 40+, if we all have a problem after buying the first well it just means that my problem is just bigger too right?

Learning to solder is knowledge and practice acquisition. It will also attract tools and equipment and in addition-to, time, dedication and more commitment. During these initial steps of the learning curve it translates into more allocation to a hobby rather than casual customisingsy occasionally. Electronics DIY is just beyond my reach but if I did so I would become Creation when I'm more Destruction. ;)
"Why the fuck did you..."
Maybe I should refrain from an eventual image Post of the Collections entirety? For the judgement received now, likely then, it will be like a public stoning in the town centre. :blush: :lol:

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68413

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
:lol: hahaha. I am reminded of those times back in the day where I attempted to combine/create Meme-Songs in the 'Something New' Thread. Did a few Metallica ones meet SW IIRC. :P and just how heavy is the metal that missusCrimsonJaxx88 is into? I know metal density can vary and whilst it's not the heaviest that's out there, using say Divine Heresy as a benchmark: higher or lower? ;)

I quote; 'Grindcore is where I sorta lose interest and can't really listen to for too long and stuff like Tokyo Hotel I just hate'.
Right now she was listening to Helloween, Suicide Silence, Cradle of Filth in succession, so hopefully that illuminates the matter :P

Normally I can listen along to stuff like Iron Maiden, Metallica, System of a Down, Freak Kitchen, Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Hammerfall, Stratovarius and Machina Supremacy, although if I want my music, movie soundtracks are the way to go (John Williams of course, but also masters like James Horner, James Newton Howard, John Powell, etc.)
Stuff like Dimmu Borgir, Sabbaton, Slayer, Slipknot, In Flames and Susperia is where I'm sort of drawing the line and I tell her to put in earplugs, cause that stuff is 'too metal' for me :P

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68436

• OvrcAHst
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
I quote; 'Grindcore is where I sorta lose interest and can't really listen to for too long and stuff like Tokyo Hotel I just hate'.
Right now she was listening to Helloween, Suicide Silence, Cradle of Filth in succession, so hopefully that illuminates the matter :P

Normally I can listen along to stuff like Iron Maiden, Metallica, System of a Down, Freak Kitchen, Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Hammerfall, Stratovarius and Machina Supremacy, although if I want my music, movie soundtracks are the way to go (John Williams of course, but also masters like James Horner, James Newton Howard, John Powell, etc.)
Stuff like Dimmu Borgir, Sabbaton, Slayer, Slipknot, In Flames and Susperia is
That's quite the foundry of metal artistry :huh: (ba dum tsch.. :lol: ) You've given me some additions to my 'when in garage' playlist.
where I'm sort of drawing the line and I tell her to put in earplugs, cause that stuff is 'too metal' for me :P
By earplugs you mean headphones right to isolate audio rather restrict.

So lightbulb moment yesterday. Gonna embrace some High School Art Class and colour mixing and attempt an overlay of bronze and red and may try to smooth out the emitter for polishing. It's in the queue. :)

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68457

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
Hehe, I'll tell her thanks from you ;) And yeah, headphones definitely :P
And curious about the bronze and red, could be awesome :lol:

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 5 months ago #68479

• OvrcAHst
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Hehe, I'll tell her thanks from you ;) And yeah, headphones definitely :P
And curious about the bronze and red, could be awesome :lol:
:lol: Could be. Aiming for awesome, might deliver Fail.

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 4 months ago #69445

• OvrcAHst

The last time we were here, Anais strayed too close towards the river of lava on the low ground (well… rather, I pushed her in from the high ground). The image above represented her appearance immediately after the dunking and I guess now is a good time if any for a revisit.

Renovatio.

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by OvrcAHst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, Borommakot

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 4 months ago #69446

• OvrcAHst
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gnost-Dural, DarkJedi_7

Anais ASP SF|Story..... Pt ? 1 year 4 months ago #69449

• DarkJedi_7
  • Thank you received: 30
This saber has been to the edge and back, well done on the finished result.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by DarkJedi_7.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Serious discourse for dua... (18 Posts)
    • I will work on that. Single Sinawali lays the ground work. Actual double weapon combat has the basic...
    • Redeemer (aka Obi-Wan sab... (6 Posts)
    • Thanks for all the responses! Really appreciate it!
    • Serious discourse for dua... (18 Posts)
    • Looks great! I understand that this is a drill, but can you show it at full speed as part of a flow...
    • Redeemer (aka Obi-Wan sab... (6 Posts)
    • One more thing. Brightness is really important to me, so most of my saber decisions revolve around...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6775
  • Latest Member: Darth Draigus
  • Total Posts: 67.6k
  • Total Topics: 5714
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 59