Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker

ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker 9 months 2 days ago #67055

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
Adjusting the lighting of the main pic to better suit the background might help. I hope you don't mind, but I was bored...

Pulled a dark blue from the background and color burned, then desaturated the reds a bit. Slit bit of orange glow on the right side for the floor vents. A bit of touch-up brushing to soften the mask edges.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ic3cold

ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker 9 months 2 days ago #67057

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Neesh Kedoo wrote:
Awesome cosplay!
The only think that I con see to improve in the last picture is the way you grip the lightsaber.
I've seen in the movies that inclusive with the left hand grip the "bunny hears" point downway

The control box should be in line with the palm of your hand. This will generally point the bunny ears down and slightly away from the body. And that's about the only grip that would allow you spin the saber.

ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker 9 months 2 days ago #67060

• ic3cold
  • Premium Member
  • Weaker than some, stronger than most
  • Thank you received: 92
Kouri wrote:
Adjusting the lighting of the main pic to better suit the background might help. I hope you don't mind, but I was bored...

Pulled a dark blue from the background and color burned, then desaturated the reds a bit. Slit bit of orange glow on the right side for the floor vents. A bit of touch-up brushing to soften the mask edges.

Nice! I'll try out those techniques when I get home. Looks really good. I especially like the edge you put on the pant near the saber. You're highly skilled Kouri! Sabersmithing, electronics and graphical editing :)
There must be both dark and light.
Last Edit: 9 months 2 days ago by ic3cold.

ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker 9 months 2 days ago #67061

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
If you feel like taking more pictures, a shot in the same pose but with a lamp on the floor, behind you, might give similar enough lighting to help you blend in with the shopped background. I think what really makes you stand out is the lighting - the figure is lit from the front left, but the actual scene seems to have most of its light back right.

ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker 9 months 2 days ago #67063

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Jas-Ot wrote:
The control box should be in line with the palm of your hand. This will generally point the bunny ears down and slightly away from the body. And that's about the only grip that would allow you spin the saber.

I just realized that would only be true for the ride hand, so I think you are holding the saber about the only way you really could physically with the left hand and still actually use it.

That control box is not very forgiving....

ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker 9 months 2 days ago #67064

• ic3cold
  • Premium Member
Kouri wrote:
If you feel like taking more pictures, a shot in the same pose but with a lamp on the floor, behind you, might give similar enough lighting to help you blend in with the shopped background. I think what really makes you stand out is the lighting - the figure is lit from the front left, but the actual scene seems to have most of its light back right.

Yah for sure. The picture in general was for the Rebel Legion to register my costume, so it's exposed as if I was going to print it off at the store. I just thought it would be interesting to see what I could do to the background in PS and merge in the photo. Additionally I was beside a window, so all the light is coming from the left hand side which doesn't help :). I did shoot in raw, so I can make various exposure adjustments, but you are correct that I need to redirect the light :) Thanks for the tips. I may have to retake this shot with the saber off for the Legion, so that might be opportunity to adjust for lighting. They apparently going to do something similar if my outfit is accepted.

In terms of the control box, I'm holding it that way for 2 reasons: 1 - comfort, and 2 - so that the control box is visible in the picture :) I think it's a neat detail to have included. If you check my ROTJ pics I did the same in some of the shots. In one I purposely pointed the control box at the camera :)

ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker 9 months 2 days ago #67065

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
ic3cold wrote:
I may have to retake this shot with the saber off for the Legion, so that might be opportunity to adjust for lighting. They apparently going to do something similar if my outfit is accepted.

Rebel Legion and 501st will want the pictures to be without a lit saber, they will add them into the picture later.

ESB Bespin Luke Skywalker 9 months 2 days ago #67067

• ic3cold
  • Premium Member
Jas-Ot wrote:
ic3cold wrote:
I may have to retake this shot with the saber off for the Legion, so that might be opportunity to adjust for lighting. They apparently going to do something similar if my outfit is accepted.

Rebel Legion and 501st will want the pictures to be without a lit saber, they will add them into the picture later.

Yup. My judge mentioned I may have to redo, but had to confirm if it was 100% necessary.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Building My First Lightsa... (3 Posts)
    • First, you need to clarify a bit what it is you want to build. 1. Do you want just light or do you...
    • Anovos Shock Trooper Helm... (6 Posts)
    • Yeah, someone I know on another forum just got a Black Series and he really likes it, even if it is...
    • Hilt Design Gallery (1085 Posts)
    • Finally decided to post a couple [attachment] Unnamed [attachment] Gladiator staff...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5240
  • Latest Member: ThomasNob
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4671
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 18