Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Old Republic Jedi costume (complete)

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75139

• Master Dain
  • Thank you received: 36
Well, it's been a long time coming - but here is my completed Old Republic Jedi costume. I was going for a very "martial" feel to it, like a man who became a Jedi after living a life as a soldier. I added the bracers with that in mind. Let me know what you think!

Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Master Dain.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Greysider, For Tyeth, Borommakot

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75140

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 810
Greetings Master Dain,

The costume looks great, very well put together. It does remind me a little of the dark Anakin costume. But the Disciple hanging from your belt is a nice touch! (from your humble collection?) Thanks for sharing.

kind regards,

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Master Dain

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75141

• Master Dain
Thanks, For Tyeth! I did indeed use the "dark Anakin" costume as a base, the bracers are from Epic Armoury and are black leather lined with suede. I'm planning on swapping out the pants with some black cargo pants instead of the khakis I am wearing in the photo. I think the black cargo pants will add to the vaguely military vibe I'm going for.

The tabards keep slipping down my shoulders - does anyone have any advice about keeping them up? I may use safety pins, or a strip of Velcro?

Edit: yes, that is my Disciple - I plan to dual wield my blue Disciple with my yellow Bastion.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Master Dain. Reason: Forgot to say something
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75142

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 216
Looks good! I'm usually not a fan of vinyl pleather tabards, but they work with this.

I would say keep the pants as-is, but use black boots.

For the tabards, safety pins would be an easy option. If you, or any females in your life, have sewing skills you could add buttons to the tunic and secure it that way. That's what I plan (eventually) for what I have coming in.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by KelbornX.

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75147

• MalsBrownCoat
  • Thank you received: 22
VERY cool!

And I agree with KelbornX; keep the brown tone for the greaves, but accentuate with black boots (which would match the theme of the outerwear; the bracers and the black leather...not sure what you call it).

Not looking to directly copy, per se, but can you provide more details about what you used for the outfit?

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75160

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 559
Great job! I'm a huge fan of personal iterations of classic/old republic style Jedi costumes, and this one pulls it all together really well.

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75169

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
You could use a shoulder strap (maybe with a shoulder mark?) over the portion of the tabard at the peak of the shoulder to secure it. This jives with the soldier backstory, but may affect the aesthetic of the outfit.

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75170

• Master Dain
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments and input.

@malsbrowncoat - here is what I used to build the costume:

Bracers - http://www.epicarmouryunlimited.com/en/leather-larp-bracers/4652-black-warrior-leather-bracers-for-larping.html

Pants, tunic, tabards + belt (I kind of cheated a bit since I didn't have a big budget) - CosplaySky Star Wars Jedi Robe Costume Anakin Skywalker Halloween Outfit Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012AB4X5E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_13KczbNEW70MG

The boots were the standard costume ones from Amazon.

I can't afford to buy a new set of boots, but do you guys think there is a kind of treatment or spray paint that would work to make the ones black? Is spray painting boots lame?

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75171

• MalsBrownCoat
  • Thank you received: 22
Many in the cosplay community tend to use dyes for leather and/or vinyl. Shouldn't cost much or be too hard to do after a few YouTube vids.

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75173

• Sylabus
  • Thank you received: 9
DO NOT SPRAY PAINT THE BOOTS, ESPECIALLY IF NOT FABRIC SPRAY PAINT!!!!

Ahem, if the boots are real leather, you can go to a craft store like Michael's (or amazon) to buy leather dye. It's usually very watery and you dab/paint it on with a foam brush in many layers to get the color you want. I did this with bleather booties for a costume that were a khaki/camel color and now they are a beautiful deep brown, almost towards mahogany in color.

If the boots are synthetic material, then a fabric paint can work. Be careful where you buy these paints from though. I bought some on amazon for gloves (red to brown) and the paint itself was very thick, to the point where I am pretty sure it was opened before it was shipped.

~sincerely, the lurking cosplayer on the forum. >.>
"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." ~Monty Oum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot, Master Dain

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75179

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 296
Very nice! It's cool as-is, and I think it'll be even cooler once you've tweaked it to meet your standards. Well done! :)
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75220

• Master Dain
Thanks Greysider, and thanks to Sylabus for the, er, emphatic advice... I think I will keep the boots as is and maybe buy a set of black ones in the future. We shall see. I had been thinking of doing a blaster thigh holster too, maybe doing that in black would look nice as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylabus

Old Republic Jedi costume (complete) 1 month 2 weeks ago #75225

• Sylabus
  • Thank you received: 9
Sorry, I get a bit.....over enthusiastic with costuming. (Spray paint likes things that are rigid, stuff that bends/creases will just Crack and flake) Talking someone who spends about, oh, WAY too much on costumes. So making them, upkeep, and silly stuff gets me going. XD
"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." ~Monty Oum
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• My First Comic Con (5 Posts)
    • Hi Guys and thanks, It was a great event for a small regional based show. The weather helped as...
    • Father's Day Sale (9 Posts)
    • It's not that I don't get Nolaan's point, nor did I disagree with the part about the time between...
    • Yeah, that was my thought too (15th and 30th is when I get my checks). But I get his point. If...
    • Ok so maybe longer, but a 25% off every 3-4 months is better imho than a constant 10-15%. It's not a...
    • 3-5 days isn't a good length for a sale, because some of us get paid every two weeks. By having one...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5240
  • Latest Member: ThomasNob
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4671
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 20
  • Yesterday Answer: 18