Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Cosplay Resources

Cosplay Resources 2 years 8 months ago #848

• Aletani
  • Walking Through the Shadows Between Light and Dark
  • Thank you received: 116
Enough interest was expressed in these sorts of resources to make a single thread with an extensive list of businesses to explore for what you're seeking. Enjoy!

***Notes in this color beside vendors are first hand/forum member reviews of companies***

Some tips and resources to help you on your cosplay building journey!

First of all, your budget will have a great impact on where and how you obtain your materials and pieces for your outfits.

If you have the tools (i.e. time, cutting mat and rotary blade, sewing machine, etc for making a tunic or pants) then I would highly suggest taking the time to go to a Joanns or similar type fabric store, browse their patterns section, find patterns that you like and narrow it down to the design you like, then looking for how much fabric it calls for and get it.

Keep in mind that you can use your measurements (if you feel comfortable) to tailor the outfit to be more form fitting if that is your desire. You can use newpapers and tracing skill to edit and make your own pattern based off of the premade pattern you selected and your measurements.

Making your own outfit will save you money in the fact that you aren't paying labor fees for someone else to build it, however it will take more of your time and much more effort to pull it off. But keep in mind that there is a great deal of satisfaction in learning throughout the process and coming out the other side with a piece that is one of a kind and you can say you made yourself. It's a great feeling.

That isn't to say that you can't outsource pieces that you don't have the tools to make (leatherworking, armor pieces, shoes, etc). There are some great small businesses that depend on niche consumers like us to keep them afloat and have unique and awesome talent!

If you wade through all of the copy cats on Etsy you can find some gems. Here are a few that I have utilized, and others that have merely caught my eye that you may find useful:

For unique belts/leatherworking:
Kradwear ***High Quality Custom Work***
ScandaloAlSole
WJWDesign

For unique clothing/shoes:
HoreHead ***High Quality Unique Pieces***
Punkktual ***High Quality Unique Pieces***
Runnickyrun ***Unique Leather Gloves and other apparel***
Dracolite
Eileen Wolan ***High End/Quality Premade Apparel - Reliable & Quick Ship***

Ayyawear/Verillas ***High End/Quality Custom and Premade Apparel and Shoes and Accessories***

Helmets/Masks:
TomBanwell
HeadShotProps
Oldjunkyardboutique
NokturnelEclipse

Needless to say there are a lot of places out there, and there are going to be a few that are right in your budget range.

I would highly suggest browsing the various lightsaber forums and SW cosplay forums - they all have very detailed and extensive tutorials and knowledge on how to make anything you need - many are budget builds, ways that people have found to save money - others are kind hobbyists who offer their services in areas you may not feel comfortable dabbling in or don't have the tools for - for example clothiers, armorers, leatherworkers, etc.

Linked here is an example of a detailed thread with links to tutorials and makers for Female Beskar'gam: MMCC Fem Beskar'gam

And here is a link to a detailed thread of makers for costumes and SW costumes in general: Saberforum Costume Buying Guide

I've basically done all of the searching around for just the bare bones of cosplay resources and information, but don't be afraid to browse and research and discover - that's how I've come across all of the information I've linked.

Enjoy the creative process and check out how others have been so successful at cosplay!

Good luck and happy creating!
Aletani

Feel free to add to this list of resources!
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Aletani.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CShigeoK, ARobb73, Brox Mander, Rhiann Nerilles, Darth Callidous, O.G. Jedi Lord, Adan Valera, SublimeDelusions, DawnDreams

Cosplay Resources 2 years 8 months ago #854

• khaine1969
  • Thank you received: 12
Your awesome Lex
Failure allows no excuse, victory requires none.

Cosplay Resources 2 years 8 months ago #868

• Aletani
Here is the Saberforum compilation of resources that I had previously linked:
(Originally posted by Noriko on Saberforum, and further edited for ease of browsing by Aletani)

Many places offer individual components as well, but for post length, I have omitted repeated or expired links.

Star Wars Specific

Tunics, tabards, obis, and full costumes:

Twin Roses Designs
***Positive reviews - Reliable and Trustworthy***
Standard cotton tunics, tabards and obis
Custom made Star Wars costumes
Standard builds start at $130

My Wicked Armor
Works on Commission - pricing not disclosed

Corellian Imports
Standard builds at $200

Museum Replicas
Licensed Replicas - very high prices. Full Obi build from $1050.

Historical Clothing Realm
Licensed replicas - slightly lower prices than Museum Replicas. Full Obi build from $998.

Buy Star Wars Costumes

Jedi-Robe - The Star Wars Shop
UK Ship Site
USA Ship Site
Different originating warehouse locations - UK and USA.
Full Obi or Ani build $160
Full Maul build $200.

Across the Galaxy
Khloeskustomklothing - Etsy
Same business, two locations.
Full Ani for $225.

Robes:

Mystik Merchant ***Expedient Service, Quality Craftsmanship***
Robes from $89.

Belts:

Civilized Galactic Gear ***High Quality - Hands on Customer Service***
Belts from $145

House Manticore
Leatherworkers - custom and commission.

Boots:

Motor Cowboy
Custom sized Replica boots for various characters - start at $100

Non-Specific Options:

Leather items (including leather boots):

Ravenwood Leather
Gloves between 30$ and 50$. Bracers between 20$ and 75$.
Belts that look similar to Jedi belts between 40$ and 90$.
Belt pouches from 10$ to 50$.

Renboots ***High Quality, High Price***
Boots from $250

Earthly Leather Design
Belt Pouches from $25

Leather Up
Moto boots from $60

Son of Sandlar
Medieval boots around $500.

Leather Tabi
Tabi from $67

Other boots:

Uturn Utopia
PU from $50

Contact lenses:

eXtreme SFX
Colored starting at $20

Vision Direct
Colored Prescriptions - Starting at $20 to $200+

Kiwiberry1's Collection
Color beginning at $20

Wigs:

Cosplay Wigs USA
Wigs starting at $30

Masks:

Evike
Sith Masks from $85
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Aletani.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brox Mander, Rhiann Nerilles, Jayskywalker21, Adan Valera

Cosplay Resources 2 years 8 months ago #871

• Nero Attoru
  • TPLA Guardian
  • Thank you received: 24
Fantastic list, this will be a very useful resource to anyone on here I'm sure. Kind of a side note, but I HIGHLY recommend Twin Roses for their quality and customer service. I've gotten a number of items from them, as has Darth Nonymous of TPLA, and we're both big fans as a result. You won't go wrong with basically any custom work from them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aletani

Cosplay Resources 2 years 8 months ago #872

• Aletani
Nero Attoru wrote:
Fantastic list, this will be a very useful resource to anyone on here I'm sure. Kind of a side note, but I HIGHLY recommend Twin Roses for their quality and customer service. I've gotten a number of items from them, as has Darth Nonymous of TPLA, and we're both big fans as a result. You won't go wrong with basically any custom work from them.

Thanks. I will mark them as a reliable company. I have heard many good things about them as well.

Please feel free to give testimonies for companies on this list and I will try and note them for each. Thank you!
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Aletani.

Cosplay Resources 2 years 7 months ago #1101

• Arkon
  • Thank you received: 7
Awesome job at putting this all together, Lex. Great job!

I also did not notice Eileen Wolan on the list. Her stuff is really, really cool! She is extremely reliable and quick to ship stuff if it is in stock (always ships the day I order!) and if I am waiting on a piece to be ready, she always lets me know.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/219eileen

**Added In - Thank you for the testimonial - Aletani**
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Aletani.

Cosplay Resources 2 years 6 months ago #1477

• Thovan Raal
  • Thank you received: 4
It's been a while, but I can vouch for renboots. Some of their staff and I have bounced customers back and forth at faire. I dressed them took walked them over and they outfitted them with the accessories.

I have a pair of their boots wonderful quality, a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Cosplay Resources 2 years 6 months ago #1479

• Methos
great list here...

has anyone had any dealings with AEtherealDesigns?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/AEtherealDesigns?ref=l2-shopheader-name

had a few friends forward me on to them, and they look like good stuff... just curious if anyone has any experience shopping with them?
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Methos.

Cosplay Resources 2 years 6 months ago #1482

• ARobb73
  • Thank you received: 5
Civilized Galactic Gear's belts are outstanding... Tom goes above and beyond to help his customers. He even went so far as to match the color of my boots perfectly from a photo of them and then threw in food capsules for free.

There is no Chaos, there is harmony

Cosplay Resources 2 years 6 months ago #1501

• Thovan Raal
Methos:
I haven't had any experience shopping with them (I'm starting my own shop here in about a month or so), but I can give you an overall critique.

Their work seems solid... but...
"Both under tunics and over tunics are the same" - The inner tunic should cross the centerline of the chest a couple inches higher than the outer tunic.

"They do not have ties or Velcro for closing, they stay closed by your obi" - this makes getting dressed a major hassle.

"Tunics come unlined, but all seams are finished with zigzag." - Unlined is fine, I make mine unlined as well, but a zig zag stitch is no substitute for a seam finished with a serger.

And this is just the first bullet point of their description. For $430, I think they leave a bit to be desired. But hey at least their's comes with pants and they have a decent color selection.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Thovan Raal. Reason: Directing towards intended recipient

Cosplay Resources 2 years 6 months ago #1504

• Methos
thanks for the honest opinion Thovan :D

i'll be looking to have a custom 'old republic' style set done soon, so i'm trying to find a trustworthy custom store to do it for me :D

I looked at Twin Rose, as they had 2 costumes that looked almost perfect for what I wanted, but not quite there... guess i'll keep looking

Cosplay Resources 2 years 6 months ago #1739

• ARobb73
  • Thank you received: 5
I ordered a brown Jedi from Mystik Merchants on 11/28 and it showed up 12/8. Very well put together piece - sized perfectly and finished very quickly. Definitely a place I'll be going back too in the future.

****Thank you for your feedback, it has been noted! ~ Aletani****
There is no Chaos, there is harmony

Cosplay Resources 2 years 3 months ago #7245

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1059
Awesome! I know someone who will REALLY appreciate having all of these resources referenced in one place.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Cosplay Resources 2 years 3 weeks ago #11967

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
Few quick reviews/possible additions to the list even.

So first up, I bought a custom colored robe/tunic set from khloes custom off of etsy. Did take a bit for the order to be made, but it was totally understandable, as I told her I wasn't in a hurry and ut was right around celebration 7 that I put in the order. Well worth the wait in every way, fantastic work and quality garments. I have since commissioned another custom set of tabard to go on the tunic to expand my outfit from her.

Got my sith acolyte mask from wicked armor. Didn't take overly long, price was reasonable, and it works lovely for photos and the like lol.

Few potential addons: roll4damage, leather shop from etsy. Bought arm bracers there and got them alright. Made a couple personal touches to them and they're pretty awesome.

Vontoon, another leather shop, ordered a custom leather belt just recently. They're great to talk with and have great reviews, I'll have to add more once I get the belt and harness I had commissioned.

HiddenAssassins, another etsy shop, has some very awesome masks, and works with you to customize them however you would like. Anxiously awaiting my mask from there... more details are incoming on that as well.

Illumicyberwear has some really cool Led visors as well, for reasonable prices that might match a look youre going for, but their customization options ate limited to what is listed, it seems. At least color wise. I hear they may have better customization for design work.

Cosplay Resources 1 year 7 months ago #21934

• Mihoshi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 23
Hello,
Brand new here...

I recently ordered 2 sabers from saber forge (currently waiting to receive), 2 of the Black Lotus sabers.
I have my costume all set, but I am trying to find things for the wife's costume.
There are a plethora of places to find parts/whole outfits, my question is -
Are there any good places to find outfits/part specifically made for women? Specifically very tiny women?

I am having real trouble finding resources specifically for female costumes/outfits.

What she wants is a mostly standard light side jedi outfit, perhaps with some color on the tabards.
Perhaps I am trying too hard and a "male" outfit would be perfectly fine? I would assume given the nature of the tunic/tabard setup it should be uni-sex?

My wife is 5'3" and 105lbs. So she's pretty small.

I have visited many etsy places and other sites, most don't specifically list anything for women, and most have you pick a size, S/M/L/XL etc, but these are male sizes...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Mihoshi.

Cosplay Resources 1 year 7 months ago #21940

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
How about a childs size?

Cosplay Resources 1 year 5 months ago #32448

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 559
Does anyone know of a good resource for lightsaber crystals? Most of what I've found has been uncolored quartz, or poorly shaped. Is there someone place that has "crystals" of different colors? Or even craftable plastic would, I'd imagine, though I couldn't find any that looked like it would be the right size.

Cosplay Resources 1 year 4 months ago #40811

• LordKnyght
Borommakot wrote:
Does anyone know of a good resource for lightsaber crystals? Most of what I've found has been uncolored quartz, or poorly shaped. Is there someone place that has "crystals" of different colors? Or even craftable plastic would, I'd imagine, though I couldn't find any that looked like it would be the right size.

If you have any crafting skill, look into warbla. It is a heat maluable material that can be remolded over and over. I have had success with the clear and have used stain glass paint to "dye" it for lenses. It should work for making crystals. It's not too cheap but it comes in multiple sizes.
Jedi, Sith. These things mean nothing to me. All there is, is the Force.

Cosplay Resources 1 year 3 months ago #46173

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 559
New question: I'm considering getting a helmet made. I've contacted Wicked Armor, but he's not taking commissions right now. Anybody have recommendations for costumers who're for sure taking commissions?

Cosplay Resources 1 year 3 months ago #46905

• Adan Valera
  • Grey Jedi
  • Thank you received: 16
Here is a really nice and simple boot. The website also has other footwear to choose from, and while they may be a bit on the pricey side, they don't have zippers or other any other obtrusive flair. These are most definitely the boots I'll be getting for my Jedi garb. :)

Also, thank you very much to Aletani for putting such a detailed and comprehensive list of resources together!
There is no dark side, nor a light side. There is only The Force.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Adan Valera.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Father's Day Sale (5 Posts)
    • I think it would be more appealing if there was a short sale (like 3-5 days max) every 3 months or...
    • Nolaan's ASP 12w+ Lime Gr... (6 Posts)
    • Are those greeblies known for falling off at some point? I won't be dueling with the saber so it...
    • Nolaan's ASP 12w+ Lime Gr... (6 Posts)
    • Great balance of parts, you may need to use locktite on the greeblies on the Mauler body section....
    • Building My First Lightsa... (3 Posts)
    • First, you need to clarify a bit what it is you want to build. 1. Do you want just light or do you...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5240
  • Latest Member: ThomasNob
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4671
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 11
  • Yesterday Answer: 18