Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Fallen.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Dark Fall

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64788

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1059
First, let me say that the title of this review is not a type-o. I thought about it, and "Dark Fall" just sounded like a good name for this saber. Second, I cannot believe that I am posting the very first actual review of a Fallen saber! I have seen pictures all over the place of them, but nobody has taken the time to write a review of one after all this time. Well, let me break this thread in right!

So, I decided that at some point, the Darth Revan set of sabers was going to have to be a part of my collection. After having fought him a number of times in Star Wars: The Old Republic, and getting to know a little more about the lore of this character, I was intrigued. Still have to read the book about him, but that is another in a long list of books in the SW universe I need to get caught up on. Anyway, the Reborn was always compelling because of its unique features, but the Fallen was not something I was immediately in love with, despite my desire for the complete set. However, as has been the case with a few sabers over the past few months (like the Avenger), as I looked at it more, and began to consider its dueling potential, I began to appreciate it more, and more.

Let me start by saying that this saber just feels good in your hands! There are no greeblies, or surface features that prevent a totally comfortable two handed grip, the only possible exception being the covertech wheel, but that is easily removable if it gets in the way. You won't find yourself having to rotate this saber excessively to find a comfy spot. The lines of the hilt are simple, clean, and elegant, culminating in an attractive dual flare emitter, made more so by the brass finish separating the flares, with a deep socket. It easily takes the longer length blade plug, so even a 37" blade is cut down to size a bit.

Speaking of which, as this saber is heavier than it looks, so you can get away with a 37" blade, making the balance point about 2" forward of the tip of the emitter. However, I still prefer the 32" blade just for the added agility it provides when dueling. It fits pretty easily into my hands which are probably best described as being on the high side of medium, bordering on large. Now, on to the stuff you have probably been waiting to hear about.

Those that saw the preview pictures know that this saber was done in all black. I believe this is the first all black Fallen I have seen, but hopefully others will begin requesting this feature, because it is quite attractive. The finish the familiar matte finish we have become familiar with, so there is just the slightest of reflection of light on the surface. The brass accents go SO well against the black, which is what I was counting on, but it looks so much better in person that it did in my imagination. Though I did not ask (so I don't know if this is standard or not), they included an old style brass kill key, and a brass covertech wheel. These color highlights really set this saber off! The pommel is a small cog, and adds a nice styling touch that goes well with the overall lines of this saber.

Now for that Deep Red LED. What can I say about this? Without getting into too much detail (which I am not at liberty to fully share), during one of my weekly conversations with Phil, the subject of this saber came up, and I was offered the choice of sticking with the regular Red LED I ordered, or replacing it with a Deep Red LED, and helping to show off that color for the launch. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity to get one of these sooner than most. At the date of this writing, the official launch has not yet taken place, but I was given permission by Phil to post pictures of the color anyway. As I mentioned elsewhere, he wanted to see the pictures I planned to post, and when he saw them, commented that they looked "Pink". Well, I could not argue with that, but with the equipment I had, this was the best I could do. He suggested a comparison shot against a standard SF Red LED, which would help highlight the difference in frequency, even if it did not accurately reflect the color. So, that is exactly what I did, and what you will see here in this review.

I will say this, regarding the difference between what the photos portray, and what my eye saw, knowing that people can be somewhat subjective in their interpretation of colors. This shade of red is much closer to the red I saw in Darth Vader's saber blade. There is no hint of orange in it. For a darker color, it was still quite bright, though compared to my Frost White, it paled in comparison. While I don't pretend to have the engineering grasp of light frequencies that folks like Kouri, and Toymaker in this forum apparently command, I think that when they see it, they will be much more satisfied than had been the case with the previous red. I will let them give you the technical reasons why when they get their hands on one (which I feel pretty confident they will), but for me...I know what I like, and this shade of red is very beautiful, and satisfying as something a Sith would carry.

So, behold...Dark Fall

Here is a photo of a standard Red LED (my Son with his Epoch)

This is one of Dark Fall using the same camera.

This is a picture of the standard red taken with a small "Point and Shoot".

While the photos do not show the same shade of Red that I saw, there is an obvious difference. I will assure you now that it does not appear pink, or pinkish in any way.

Ratings
Craftsmanship 10/10 - Not a blemish to be seen, nor a rattle to be heard.
Styling 9.8/10 - I only take a little off here because of the simplicity of the design, but what is here is done very well indeed!
Comfort 10/10 - But for the covertech wheel, there are no obstructions to a comfortable grip, and that is easily removable.

Overall 9.9/10 - Another winner from SaberForge!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Brax.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Borommakot, OvrcAHst, DK44, Darth Nelo Angelo

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64790

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
Great Saber Sir, Well Done! *Note to Self: Initiate Weekly communication with Phil for rewarding applications onto extraordinary Hilts (and older style knurled Kill Keys)(and pre-release dibs on Photo Red)* The matte Black is a superb finish and frankly should be a standard selectable option like the other dropbox options rather than as a possible hit 'n miss Order Notes Spec. Definitely the first uniquely finished All-Black Fallen Review but the others have been separated as Custom treated exclusives or Limited Eds. ;) Great second All Black to your Collection and hopefully the very first of many other Kiwi's to come. :) An obvious pairing to your previewed Reborn but I reckon a glam-shot against your Dark Reliant would be sweet! Congratulations Mate.

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64791

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1059
OvrcAHst wrote:
*Note to Self: Initiate Weekly communication with Phil for rewarding applications onto extraordinary Hilts (and older style knurled Kill Keys)(and pre-release dibs on Photo Red)*

Being, what I believe to be the first non-employee to be an Admin on this forum, I did not have much of a template on how to do much of anything. I did get some advice from the previous admin on some technical things, but as far as how to maintain a line of communication to the boss, that was entirely my idea, and my doing. I thought it important, and have worked towards being a member of the inner circle. I don't think I have achieved that, but Phil does share things with me that I cannot talk about until they are ready to launch, and he gives the OK. I worked on testing the ASP site for hours just before it launched, and I have done some other work that goes a little beyond the forum.

It is tantalizing to know about a coming feature, or event ahead of time that I cannot talk about, and I am working on getting the timing down so that I can break those stories here in the forum at the same time they can be seen on the FB feed, or any other source. Have not quite achieved that yet either, but it is a work in progress. I am always working to keep you guys as informed as possible, and looking for ways to make this place one that you want to hang out. To that end, on occasion, some perks come my way as a result of my efforts. Hopefully, nobody would begrudge me a bone here, and there. ;)

I will get a photo of the pair of them and post one here, and one with the eventual review of the Reborn (coming soon). I know folks will note that Revan's Sith saber was not black, but silver finish. However, it just seemed more..."sithy" for it to be black, and for me it works.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Brax.

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64793

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
:lol: When the Boss offers for you as a giveth, why not taketh and deservingly so. No begrudging of a Bone here and there however I would have thought minimally with maintaining the upkeep of the Forum it'd be more than just a bone and an actual leg. Credit to you for the assertiveness of maintaining open communication especially when Forum Moderating is not done so under the employment of SF. Besides, I doubt Phil would entertain open communication with just anyone acknowledging how busy he is and the forward momentum he takes his Organisation. :blush:

:lol: Knowing something but unable to share the excitement. It's like landing a Hole-in-One with nobody there to witness it. Oh and btw, you forgot to include your Guns! :P Looking forward to the photo updates. ;) Thanks for the share.

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64798

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Thank you for sharing this awesome saber with the new RED, Brax. I think the pictures do a pretty good job of showing how the Deep Red LED is indeed darker than the standard red color based on the pictures you have provided.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you do this, but I have found pulling out the blade plugs and shining the LED directly on a white wall also does a good job of showing the actual color. They are hard to capture.

Great saber! Can't wait to see more of this Deep Red as more information becomes available!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64803

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
Wow, :woohoo: Brax is this something that can be ordered, or was this a special for the Forum Admin?
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by =Ottomatix=.

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64807

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 499
Great saber! Good to read we have "first hand" communication with the owner. Look forward to the Deep Red!

Beautiful saber, congratz once again!
"I am the Senate"

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64808

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: thanks, Brax for what you do for the forum.

An excellent saber, and an even more excellent Deep Red! Congrats!

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64809

• Darth Nelo Angelo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Magnificent saber Brax.. The entire colour scheme you have gone for suits it perfectly..
" The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64810

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 136
Wow Brax that looks great! You are doing a great job, thank you!
Congrats & Enjoy

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64821

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Bwah-hah-ha! I'm planning on getting a Fallen with a Dark Red too! Looks great.

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64824

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
Pink is a side-effect of the camera that can't be worked around without some touchup software. Cameras pick up a bit of the InfraRed and UltraViolet light that's invisible to us and renders the color that pops up before Red and after Blue in the color wheel - Magenta. It's what makes Deep Red look Pink and Deep Blue look Purple on camera.

I compensate in photoshop by sliding the Magenta closer to Red for a better real-life representation of the color. Actually just did the same for your photos - hope you don't mind.

The following user(s) said Thank You: h2soy

Dark Fall 10 months 1 week ago #64831

• Mystic
  • Thank you received: 12
This saber looks so cool with the black finish & deep red! congrats!

Dark Fall 10 months 6 days ago #64856

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 296
Wow. This looks fantastic! That all black and deep red is awesome! Congratulations!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Best adhesive for switch ... (5 Posts)
    • E6000 is quite easy to scrap off metal, a bit harder on some plastics. I also use either that or...
    • Hilt Design Gallery (1084 Posts)
    • I feel like Bossk would approve of that one! And dayum is Takamatsu's custume LEGIT. With some...
    • PS-Luke V2 WIP (20 Posts)
    • Will be later in the summer but anxious to start Brax's PS V2 conversion and my SH V2. Might end up...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5238
  • Latest Member: Shirleyhor
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4670
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 16
  • Yesterday Answer: 7