Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: EU Adventure Part 1: Thrawn Trilogy

EU Adventure Part 1: Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52818

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
Not many threads in here!

With the help of my sister who works at our local library, I'm beginning my journey into the EU with the Thrawn Trilogy. Can't wait to start it, people can't seem to recommend it enough. I did read the Young Jedi Knights series as a kid and I also still have Darksaber on audio cassette, but haven't seen where it all started. I'm excited!

Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by MusicallyInspired.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, Kered

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52820

• Jedikind
  • Platinum Member
  • dc,star wars,ac,lotr nerd what else ?
  • Thank you received: 19
have a good read bro the trilogy itsself is quite intresting in my point of view but what matter is what you think man :) have fun
sabers own: prodigal son,classic epouch vers 2

sabers i want ? Guardian,Count,exalted, legacy 1 and protector,archon and fallen

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52827

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
My memories of reading this series were all positive! Hope you think so too.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52828

• Force Master Strife
  • Thank you received: 13
Awwww yiss. Enjoy!

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52829

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
I just read the Thrawn trilogy before Force Awakens released; I think it still holds up today (although the events definitely fall outside of canon now). And when the ending leaves you hungry for more you can move on to the Hand of Thrawn duology.

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52833

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
There are a bunch of books I want to read, but I'm starting from the "beginning" because that makes the most sense. Really interested in the Bane trilogy, the Revan books, and the Jedi Academy trilogy as well. I'll get there...

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52834

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 819
Hi Everyone,

Thanks MusicallyInspired, your original post has prompted me to join my local lending library and I have found they have 157 titles linked with Star Wars so I am going to have fun wading through all that material! I'll keep watching this thread for recommendations as I am late getting into the books, novels and graphic novels.

kind regards,

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jedikind, MusicallyInspired

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52839

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
I have a similar story. I've just never been that much of a reader, besides the young adult novels I read as a teen. Now I'm all curious about why people are mourning the loss of the EU. I mean, I guess I know, I just want to experience it myself.

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52908

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
MusicallyInspired wrote:
There are a bunch of books I want to read, but I'm starting from the "beginning" because that makes the most sense. Really interested in the Bane trilogy, the Revan books, and the Jedi Academy trilogy as well. I'll get there...

I've read the Bane trilogy several times now and I cannot recommend it more. As for Revan, it was a good book that provides some good closure for the plotlines of KotOR 1 and 2. Haven't read too many other TOR tie in series because I don't want to spoil anything that may come up in the game (I recommend playing through at least the Jedi Knight storyline in SWTOR before reading Revan).

I read one or two Jedi Academy books growing up, but I was going to focus on the New Jedi Order series next. That covers the whole Yuuzhan Vong plotline and should segway into Legacy of the Force, the series I really want to get into next.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MusicallyInspired

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #52995

• Kered
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
I never really read to many of the Star Wars books but as of right now I'm listening to that book in audible it's really good so far bout half way though
The force is strong in this one.but the dark side is always there

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #53001

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Cool! Which version? As I understand it there are two versions as I was perusing the Audible app, the original and one new one for the 20th anniversary book or whatever. Does it have a full cast/music/sfx or just a single narrator? Almost got it but opted for the book instead (imagination, more content).

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #53005

• Kered
  • Elite Member
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Cool! Which version? As I understand it there are two versions as I was perusing the Audible app, the original and one new one for the 20th anniversary book or whatever. Does it have a full cast/music/sfx or just a single narrator? Almost got it but opted for the book instead (imagination, more content).

It's the 20th one person but got sfx music all kinds of stuff it's really well done I used my 1 credit I get per month was well worth it I feel like I'm hearing a movie and the guy that reads it does great at Han solo and the rest

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #53007

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Nice! Will have to pick it up sometime. I was debating to use it for my first free one as well. Anyone listened to the original audiobook? Is it the same? (one narrator/music/sfx) The Darksaber audiobook I still have on cassette is one narrator as well with music/sfx. I did also listen to the Jedi Knight trilogy audiobooks as well and they had a full cast. Quite well done.

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #53017

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 24
I love the Heir to the Empire trilogy. On one hand, it's dated--it predates Ep. 1-3 by a few years, so some things that were established since then are missing. (At the time Zahn was writing those books, the only thing anybody knew about the Clone Wars came from one line in ANH.) It's missing even more if you read it after the books that happened in-universe earlier but were published later in real life. On the other hand, Zahn is by far the most insightful author to write for Star Wars. The number of little details he picked up on and included is impressive. (For example, every book starts on a Star Destroyer; that's also where every movie from 3 to 7 starts, and before 3 there weren't yet Star Destroyers. To my recollection, he's the only author to do that.) The characters actually behave like you'd expect them to, the dialogue fits, new characters are interesting, the plotlines make sense (well, enough sense :) )... There's a reason that people have been clamoring to have that trilogy made into movies practically since it came out.

MusicallyInspired wrote:
The Darksaber audiobook I still have on cassette is one narrator as well with music/sfx.
Ugh, Darksaber? That book is a disgrace to the EU. I accidentally dropped my copy in the toilet, and realized that's where it belonged anyway. My least favorite book by my least favorite author.
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated will you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #53023

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
Darksaber was Kevin J Anderson, right? It's been years since I listened to it. My dad originally bought it. Didn't Kevin also write the Young Jedi Knights books too? I did enjoy those. I don't remember much about Darksaber honestly other than the love interest for Luke who's not Mara Jade and could only use the dark side...

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #53025

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
Callista! Callista was introduced in Children of the Jedi (by Barbara Hambly) where she was a complex, deep character. She continued on in Darksaber (where, IMO, she was mostly just whiny) and walked out of Luke's life in Planet of Twilight (also by Barbara Hambly). I loved Callista in Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight. I hated her in Darksaber.

If you're getting the feeling that I'm not a huge fan of Kevin J. Anderson, you're on the right track. :lol: (Before you even ask, yes, I hate the Jedi Academy Trilogy too. :) )

I never read the Young Jedi Knights books; to my knowledge, the first one came out when I was 22, so I think I was a little outside of the target market!

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #53038

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
I do remember Callista. I thought the story arc was interesting with her (some of it is coming back to me now). If Anderson is one of the least of the authors then my EU experience can only get better. Thanks for the insight!

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 2 months ago #53043

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
FYI, a discussion I had a while back on another board led to the following list of books recommended by multiple people (just dealing with the pre-TPM-released, pre-New-Jedi-Order books):

Han Solo Trilogy: Paradise Snare - Hutt Gambit - Rebel Dawn
X-Wing: Rogue Squadron - Wedge's Gamble - Krytos Trap - Bacta War
Thrawn Trilogy: Heir to the Empire - Dark Force Rising - The Last Command
X-Wing: Wraith Squadron - Iron Fist - Solo Command
I, Jedi
X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar
Hand of Thrawn Duology: Specter of the Past - Vision of the Future

Note that just because something isn't on the list here doesn't mean it's a bad book. These just happen to be the best. If you were going to read on past these, I'd read the Jedi Academy Trilogy--not because I think it's good, but because I think it's important--and the Courtship of Princess Leia, which takes place right after Solo Command (but was written years earlier, and has a couple bits that never made sense until Allston tied them together in Solo Command). I liked Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight (which I mentioned earlier) but they *ahem* don't seem to be universally admired. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MusicallyInspired

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 1 month ago #54012

• Kered
  • Elite Member
Wow just finished Heir and I gotta say it again wow loved that story getting the next audiobook in the series tonight what a great story would have loved to seen a movie on this book

Thrawn Trilogy 1 year 1 month ago #54128

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
I have read the books and I imagine listening to the audiobook would put you right back into the SW movie lore. I hope this is finally made into a movie trilogy at some point by Disney. Probably my favorite SW book series by far. Also the Han Solo Trilogy is AMAZING. That is a must read.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kered
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• FS: SaberForge Fallen (5 Posts)
    • Folks, The Fallen is one sweet saber, especially the way this one has been equipped! $400 is an...
    • Dark Brown Leather Wraps (2 Posts)
    • I have the dark brown wrap on my Gladius. Here's a pic for comparison. Hope it helps you out. I...
    • Custom Phoenix (7 Posts)
    • Awesome! Love that blade plug. Welcome back NeBosa! :)
    • Korbanth Dv6- it is point... (1 Posts)
    • So this was my weekend relaxation project this week, I scored this on EBay for 190, which included a...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5267
  • Latest Member: Maniax001
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4693
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 13