Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Alternative use of the LED 12w

Alternative use of the LED 12w 9 months 7 hours ago #67500

• Pandoir
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello all!
I just ordered my first saber, and while super excitingly telling my friend about it he made me realize that it would be a super nice wand/staff (with the spear extensions) for my ongoing necromancer cosplay.

Now the question: I never had a battlesaber before, nor have I actually looked at this while trying out one, could I use a blade plug (er even just leaving the "LED tube" open) and put something like a plexiglass ball above it to gain a similar effect of brightness?

I ordered the Black Lotus, so the claws would make a perfect holder for a sphere, a diamond, a cube, something like that and was wondering what should I search for as material to have at least a bit of brightness. Has anyone already made something similar? Experience? Hints?

Thanks in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Alternative use of the LED 12w 9 months 5 hours ago #67509

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
Pandoir wrote:
I ordered the Black Lotus, so the claws would make a perfect holder for a sphere,

Here.. when all 7 are glowing, you can summon Shenron and magic happens. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pandoir

Alternative use of the LED 12w 9 months 5 hours ago #67510

• ElectricJesus
  • Thank you received: 5
A plastic orb or something would have to be custom made. There is a company near where i work that does that sort of thing, so you may want to look into it and see if there is a similar company near you. Look for smoked acrylic, or even ask if the have any special plastics that distribute light in an interesting way.

If you'd prefer just a short rod on top, the blades can be pretty easily shortened. I accidentaly got some plastic model cement on the bottom of my (37") blade and it cause the bottom 3 " to crack and degrade. If you can remove the film, the blade can be shortened with a hack saw, if thats all you have. The plastic tube still diffuses light pretty well without the film, although with the film is noticably better. As a general rule, the shorter the blade the more even the light distribution
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pandoir

Alternative use of the LED 12w 9 months 48 minutes ago #67528

• Pandoir
so I had the day off and a friend of mine was kind enough to bring me his lightsaber (even tho not 12w) and did a few tries, forgot to take picture (dang it!)

tried with some plexiglass I had around and immediatly realized I needed smoked/opaque plastic, and while browsing through my cosplay "huge bunch of stuff" I came around some remaining of friendly plastic..... God that's exactly what I was looking for.

the first experiment turned out well, so I took a small glass skull I had around and covered the front with it (did not have enough to completely coat it), looks great.

thanks anyway for the suggestion, now it's either keep it that way or order more friendly plastic, will post a photo either way this weekend for future reference :D

(and let's hope I find a way to fix it on the lotus :D)

Alternative use of the LED 12w 8 months 4 weeks ago #67538

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
Pandoir wrote:
(and let's hope I find a way to fix it on the lotus :D)
Between the Venom claws on a Black Lotus, you've got an ID of 24.38mm. To still enable use of the Hilt as a Saber, whatever is perched on top will need to be unsecured (other by centre of gravity) as a stationary display item. The trickiest part ahead for you (I've really got nothing to suggest here) is for the intention you're aiming for, securing the 'orb' successfully to the claws and the same claws to the emitter. The stock retention screws will make it fiddly (under normal attach/removal when duelling) because they're shallow-threaded for relatively quick removal so how secure the claw screws are will require further mods, to support whatever you cradle between them. Maybe tap 3 holes into said orb corresponding to the Venom prongs to be stabbed on after claws are attached kinda like a paddlepop stick into an apple? :huh:

Alternative use of the LED 12w 8 months 4 weeks ago #67565

• Pandoir
the staff would be used 99.9% only for cosplay, so no dueling.
was thinking of either making a worbla ministand to do a loose fit on the point of the claws and then leather wrap it, or just use a leather string and do a vodoo skull thingy, will have to try out a couple thing when the lotus arrives ;D
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Alternative use of the LED 12w 8 months 3 weeks ago #67681

• Pandoir
this is on an ultrasabers apprentice, light in the room was on, need to find the right angle to spread well the light but since most cons are in the daylight even if the light doesen't spread well I'm fine with it.
Friendly Plastic passed the test for light spread props :D

Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by OvrcAHst. Reason: insert image

Alternative use of the LED 12w 7 months 4 weeks ago #68796

• Pandoir
sorry for the third post in a row but an edit probably wouldnt update the topic ;D

so the saber arrived today, and I immediatly started messing around to make the fix for the skull and......

still need to paint the claws that hold the skull, probably gonna use some demonish purple/green, since in the dark it won't be seen anyway.

for the actual "wear and go around" cosplay, I'm planning on adding some leather strings to attach the base to the outer under-claws, in theory it works, but the subject of the topic is solved I guess, won't post updates unless someone asks for.

cheers!

Last Edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by Pandoir.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Alternative use of the LED 12w 7 months 4 weeks ago #68798

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 266
DUDE! that looks freakin' sweet!

How about some full cosplay pics!

Alternative use of the LED 12w 7 months 4 weeks ago #68809

• Pandoir
Jas-Ot wrote:
DUDE! that looks freakin' sweet!

How about some full cosplay pics!

waiting for a last piece atm, nov 1 we got the convention and might post a few pictures ;D
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5268
  • Latest Member: JanieLaf
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4693
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0