Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 months ago #7668

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
  • Thank you received: 15
So as much as I love my original DL-44, I decided I'm ready to upgrade to something a little more realistic. Therefore, I'm currently working on a Denix based DL-44 blaster. (WOO-HOO!)

Many any of the design cues and ideas I have been implementing have been coming from Denix builds made by FX-Sabers forum member Scottjua., so thank you for the inspiration Scott! I figured I would keep a build log for members to follow should they desire to try their hand at something like this. I want to install sounds and retain the functionality of the hammer

Of course we will start with the Denix.

Nothing much done to it as of late except I cut off the tip off the barrel to allow the flash hider to slide on. I ordered the real wooden grip version but I think they sent me the synthetic one by accident....oh well. :P Here are all the greeblies.

I decided to go with the Luke variant. It's suppose to be my personal blaster but I figured it would also go well with my Graflex saber since it's ESB style. The flash hider, scope, and bracket are from Evolution Props and the motor greeblies are resin casts from a seller I found on Etsy.

I slid on the flash hider to see how it looks!

A little too lengthy for my tastes. I'm going to have to sand the barrel a bit so I can slide the hider further on. In terms of internals, this will play host to the Blaster Core v3 that was in my original DL-44. Since space is a VERY limiting factor, I needed I nice small battery pack. That's where a pair of 10440s came into play. Since they are not a very common pack, I had to wind up making one myself. This was actually a first for me but I was very pleased with my results!

The internals require a bit more machining for wire clearance but so far so good. I even have a solution for mounting the switch. Put it this way...I <3 3D printers!! (One of the benefits of being an engineering teacher! :D )

That should be it to start. I'll do my best to keep taking pictures and keeping you guys up to speed. Stay tuned and thanks!!
"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Machinimax.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth Intefector

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 months ago #7687

• Darth Intefector
  • Elite Member
  • My hatred has made me an unstoppable force; my rage a tempest of death and destruction. When I strike, you shall know the true power of the Dark Side. And it shall be the last thing you ever see...
  • Thank you received: 9
That's gorgeous! Good work!

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 months ago #7754

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
Great job! I admire anyone who can create like that!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 months ago #7866

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
Thanks guys! That really means a lot!

While I'm here, update time! The barrel is done and the flash hider fits like a glove. I LOVE the results! Next steps will be to drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the hider so I can hold it in place with a set screw and then find a spacer to place between the Denix and the scope bracket so I can mount that.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 months ago #7995

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
Sorry about the double post but I have breaking news!

Anyways, the flash hider is now properly mounted to the barrel and the sight has been secured with a dab of epoxy. Thus concludes the work needed done on the top half.

Next I worked on securing the bracket and scope. I drilled and tapped a hole for the screw and found a washer that is acting as a perfect spacer. I was even able to secure to nut on the inside and the washer allowed the tip of the screw to sit perfectly flush with it.

Put it all together....

Basically done if it was a static prop (minus the motor greeblies). To finish up the outside, I need to grind off the Denix logo, drill the hole for the recharge port and aux switch, and touch up a few areas that lost some finish. More to come!

And now for the weather.... :D
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Machinimax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griffon, supercookster401, FailedJedi

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 months ago #8016

• Darth Intefector
  • Elite Member
  • My hatred has made me an unstoppable force; my rage a tempest of death and destruction. When I strike, you shall know the true power of the Dark Side. And it shall be the last thing you ever see...
  • Thank you received: 9
Oh wow, so it's going to be an electronic prop?? That's awesome dude! It looks freaking awesome.

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 months ago #8176

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
Darth Intefector wrote:
Oh wow, so it's going to be an electronic prop?? That's awesome dude! It looks freaking awesome.

Yes sir, it will indeed! I don't have the proper tooling to give it lights but it will include sound effects!

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 months ago #8441

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
The blocky and aesthetically unpleasing Denix logo (and text)....is no more!

Since I do not have a mill, I had to remove it by hand. I got rid of most of the text and logo using a grinding bit on my dremmel and then used a sanding bit to grind it closer. I wound up with a few gouges which didn't bother me at first since even Scott purposely leaves machining marks for realism. However, I decided to clean it up. I was back and forth between 400 grit sandpaper and steel wool. I was very happy with the results. Still a little pit or two but I feel that helps give it a bit of a used look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FailedJedi

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 2 months ago #8867

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
Time for a well deserved progress report!

The logo side of the blaster has been re-finished.

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black matches the original finish PHENOMENALLY! I can barely tell the difference.

The motor greeblies have also been painted. I found a nice flat black spray paint for them. They haven't been secured to the blaster yet but I want to save that for the very end. Even though the Luke version only has one of the little hoop pieces, I'm going to use them both....just because I want to! :D

Up next, the grip placed recharge port.

I've been waiting a week to do this part as I didn't have the right tap I needed and therefore had to order it. As you can see in the pic below, I milled a little bit of clearance. The port isn't flush but rather sits slightly recessed in the hole. It looks and feels great! You might also be able to see the little hole I made above the grip to allow wires to pass through to the main body.

Lastly, I machined down the wall separating the mag housing and switch area a bit to allow the wiring to pass through to the sound board.

Oh and I didn't take any pics of this but the inside of the grips have been modified a bit and now allow my 2W bass speaker to sit nicely within!

If all goes well, this should be all that's left:

- Drill sound holes
- Drill Aux switch hole
- Electronics installation
- Secure motor greeblies

More to come, my friends! Be ready!! :)
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Machinimax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supercookster401, FailedJedi

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 2 months ago #9371

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
Cram. Fu. MANIA!!!!!

Probably my biggest cram-fu challenge to date! However, a few minor finishing touches left to go. Expect a glam thread and video pretty soon!

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 2 months ago #9656

• JediRabbi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
What a great build log - and what lovely work! I'm looking forward to seeing how you've made out since your last post. Don't keep us waiting too long for the next chapter! :)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 weeks ago #12542

• Brox Mander
  • Jedi until the end..and beyond.
  • Thank you received: 3
Fantastic looking prop! Would love to see more.
Five Bothans died to bring you this information.

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 3 weeks ago #12581

• Andrew Ford
  • Premium Member
  • There is passion, yet peace. There is serenity, yet emotion. Chaos, yet order.
  • Thank you received: 17
I was looking at buying a Mauser C-96 prop after my friend offered to give it the DL-44 treatment but I decided against it as I was more keen on pre-ordering the new Battlefront game... Last time I ever make a stupid decision like that.
Bowties are cool... And so are Lightsabers!

Build Log - Denix based ESB DL-44 2 years 2 weeks ago #12726

• Machinimax
  • Jedi Sentinel
Brox Mander wrote:
Fantastic looking prop! Would love to see more.

Here is the thread with the finished product and video!

https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/misc-props-blasters-gallery/881-luke-skywalker-dl-44-blaster
Last Edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Machinimax.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• FS: SaberForge Fallen (5 Posts)
    • Folks, The Fallen is one sweet saber, especially the way this one has been equipped! $400 is an...
    • Dark Brown Leather Wraps (2 Posts)
    • I have the dark brown wrap on my Gladius. Here's a pic for comparison. Hope it helps you out. I...
    • Custom Phoenix (7 Posts)
    • Awesome! Love that blade plug. Welcome back NeBosa! :)
    • Korbanth Dv6- it is point... (1 Posts)
    • So this was my weekend relaxation project this week, I scored this on EBay for 190, which included a...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5267
  • Latest Member: Maniax001
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4693
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 13