Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: X-Wing (LucasArts)

X-Wing (LucasArts) 1 year 2 months ago #52475

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1065
For me, this was the real start of PC gaming. I had played a couple of helicopter battle flight sims, and a couple of RPG-based efforts on the computer. But, not until X-Wing burst on the scene did I start caring about things like video cards, memory, bus speed, processor speed. Granted back then 640x480 on your 12-15" CRT monitor was as good as it got. However, things progressed pretty quickly from there, especially when 3-d effects started showing up in later iterations.

The game itself, man I played it for hours on end. This was Star Wars man, and I was flying an X-Wing! What could be cooler than that? I did the practice course until I had beaten all of them, and got an acceptable time on even the hardest one. I did the solo missions (watching the launch animation every time because it added to the experience), and the squadron missions that required a little more strategy, and finesse', including command other ships to stand-off, and others to attack. Whether it was clearing a mine field, or taking out a capital ship, I just kept playing, and having a fantastic time!

At some point, I realized that the progression of missions was heading us inevitably towards to the campaign against the Death Star, and it was exciting! I had dreamed of doing this mission myself for over 10 years by this point! I was teased with attacks on surface features, and defending squadrons of fighters, but finally when they had sufficiently whipped the anticipation into a frenzy, we came to the actual Trench Run!

It was enthralling, exhilarating, exciting, and overwhelming all at the same time! The game did a decent job of presenting the awesome scale of the Death Star, and made the mission challenging to the point where it was certainly not a sure thing that you would win. In fact, it took a few tries before I was able to actually succeed!

When it was over, and the animation showed my character receiving the medal for heroism, I felt like it was really happening, and that was what has stuck with me all these years about this game. These days, it has been made compatible for use on modern hardware, and O/Ss via Steam, or from GoG.com (Good old Games) pretty cheap. Of course I grabbed it, and ran through a lot of the game again. You know what? Despite the archaic graphics, the game actually holds up pretty well!

I have nothing by fond memories of this game, and I can relive them at any time, thanks to GoG!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

X-Wing (LucasArts) 1 year 2 months ago #52504

• reevie
  • Thank you received: 8
That game was so good, as was TIE Fighter. Lucasarts made some great games during that time frame. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was a favorite of mine. I also loved their WW2 flight sims, Battlehawks 1942 and Their Finest Hour. But back to Star Wars, Dark Forces was awesome.

X-Wing (LucasArts) 1 year 2 months ago #52785

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 24
Let's not forget that the X-Wing game also led to a great series of novels. The connection weakened in the later ones, but in the first four, there were a lot of direct references to the game: shield configuration, energy management, and even at least one (simulated) mission in the first book that directly referred to one of the more annoying missions of the game. (The hospital frigate one, where you had to take on a whole bunch of TIE Bombers from all over the place, all the while cursing friendly computer-controlled units that were pretty much useless. :) )
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated will you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

X-Wing (LucasArts) 10 months 1 week ago #65117

• JediRabbi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I've loved this game for years - the customizations that you can download keep it crisp!

From generation to generation... My son is now a fan too! ;)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.

X-Wing (LucasArts) 10 months 1 week ago #65478

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
...Customizations??!

X-Wing (LucasArts) 10 months 1 week ago #65508

• JediRabbi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
BoostinIX wrote:
...Customizations??!

For sure - check out the good folks at X-Wing Alliance Upgrade:
http://xwaupgrade.com/
Their screenshot page gives you a sense of the care that went into their models. Just amazing!

Here's another group that was doing upgrades before Steam and GOG (I think) re-released the game. Widescreen makes all the difference.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/16/xwing-alliance-upgrade/

Enjoy!
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Man-Cation! (4 Posts)
    • Hi there, Trouble getting a connection, hmmm? [attachment] You should try Coruscant Communication...
    • Man-Cation! (4 Posts)
    • Speak for yourself..... Now where did I put those matches....
    • Man-Cation! (4 Posts)
    • Have fun, and don't worry we will try not to burn the forums down. :)
    • FAQ Update (16 Posts)
    • Personally, I think that this is an excellent idea. Is there also someplace on the forums where we...
    • Man-Cation! (4 Posts)
    • I am going to be camping with the guys for the next 4 days, where cell/data service is very spotty....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5274
  • Latest Member: VikusiBoymn
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4700
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 16
  • Yesterday Answer: 10