Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Dual-wielding blade length

Dual-wielding blade length 9 months 3 weeks ago #64950

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
I recently decided to once more pick up dual wielding in a more traditional Niten Ichi-ryu style, and though I'm very sloppy after being out of practice for so long, I'm curious about something.

I've been practicing with my iaido katana for the past while now, which is an approximate 11" hilt and a 28" blade, I believe. What do you think would work better for getting skilled with dual katana/swords by practicing with dual shinai and lightsabers: two 26" blades or two 32" blades?

I currently use a 32" in my US Apprentice, but I'm curious if I should alter my practice.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dual-wielding blade length 9 months 3 weeks ago #64956

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 287
If you plan on using a samurai style dual wield technique then I would easily suggest samurai sized lengths.

the blade length on a katana is roughly 30". So go with the 32" blade and it will be around the 30" length once seated in the sabers blade socket.

for your wakizashi, the blade length isn't as standard and ranges anywhere from 12-24" in length. So either choose the shoto blade or cut your own blade down to a length you prefer.

Refer to Miyamoto Musashi. The greatest dual wield master ever. Over 60 something duels without a loss. Ended up retiring in the mountains of Japan and became an artist and wrote a couple of books. I believe he took on an apprentice as well during those times.
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by NeBosa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64, Neesh Kedoo, ToyKeeper

Dual-wielding blade length 9 months 3 weeks ago #65052

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
Thanks for the help, NeBosa. I am aware of the great Musashi (he's kind of my idol as a swordsman :P ), and I'm actually reading The Book of Five Rings to get a feel for his style. I am grateful for your advice, again.

Dual-wielding blade length 9 months 3 weeks ago #65057

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
What are you trying to go with? Are you looking to do a long sword/short sword style or equal blade length style? The longer the blades when you do equal the easier it is tangle the tips up.

Dual-wielding blade length 9 months 3 weeks ago #65070

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
@WookieeGunner, I personally want to try an equal blade length style. Usually I don't have any trouble keeping the blades from crossing when I practice with my current sabers. I originally figured 32" blades would work the best, but since I've been using a real katana for practice, I figured I should have dual blades about that length, which is 28-ish inches.

Dual-wielding blade length 9 months 3 weeks ago #65086

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
Depending on which saber you have, 32 may be closer to 28 then you think. A lot of sabers like to have 1.5-2 inches of blade inside the saber for better holding so you are looking at 30ish inch blades. And if you have a windowed saber like the Epoch or Venom, even more of the blade will be inside.

Dual-wielding blade length 9 months 3 weeks ago #65087

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
I'll probably be using dual Katana sabers (real original, but eh).

Dual-wielding blade length 4 months 1 week ago #71754

• Neith
  • Nothin'.
There's not really an objective answer to this. Swords are just swords; their length is simply whatever it is. Just use what feels more comfortable to you. I use 32" blades, but I don't really think there's any argument for them being better. I just like the way they feel.

Dual-wielding blade length 4 months 5 days ago #71863

• Darth Squidious
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Traditionally, a katanna had a 28-30 inch blade and a wakizashi has an 18-20, sometimes less. I think your primary consideration should be balance, a sword should have a balance point that just in front of the guard, no more than a handspan in front. Ideally your off hand should be shorter and lighter as your off hand is likely to be weaker and less coordinated.

In most two handed styles the off hand weapon is primarily defensive, it takes the place of a shield. You see this in rapier\gauche, Florentine, tomahawk\longknife etc. There isn't a whole lot of technique written about Musashi's Go rin no sho but I've found that there are a few key points that apply not only in combat but life in general.

You are your own worst enemy, if a man can defeat himself his opponent(s) no longer matter.

Sloppy work is habit forming, style and habit make you predictable.

Use what is available to you. Musashi's swords weren't tucked in his obi for show, he had two so he used them.

Overwhelming aggression trumps skill. By not giving your opponent the chance to think you capture his mind.

I also recommend The Life Giving Sword by Yagyu Munenori. Munenori mastered a technique he called "throwing yourself under the sword" a maneuver other samurai of his day described as harrowing to watch and Munenori was the shogun's bodyguard and is said to have slain three men in the space of a breath.
If there is only one hot chick in the galaxy... And she's your sister.

You might be a redneck.

Dual-wielding blade length 4 months 4 days ago #71934

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 73
Personally I use 32 in my main hand and 28 in my office hand.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• (5 Posts)
    • Quote: Thanks for the advice, guys! Really appreciate it. I have one build I want to do, but the right...
    • Your top 10 "must ha... (5 Posts)
    • Hm, must haves. Always a fun topic. I've been able to cross a couple off my list (Graflex in...
    • Problem with LED (5 Posts)
    • After reading the whole post, I have learned more about this topic. Thank you so much.
    • The right type of color (5 Posts)
    • Teach us more in this field. After reading on here, we can learn more in this topic.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5191
  • Latest Member: Rorence
  • Total Posts: 55.8k
  • Total Topics: 4636
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 5
  • Yesterday Answer: 23