Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Lucasfilm suing lightsaber academies?

Lucasfilm suing lightsaber academies? 7 months 3 weeks ago #68378

• JediRabbi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I just came across this disturbing article... Anyone know more about it?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/lucasfilm-unleashes-legal-death-star-on-lightsaber-schools/

Seems really unwise for Lucasfilm to alienate its very loyal fanbase. And it makes me worry that they might start going after other "infringing" designs.

Thoughts?
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lucasfilm suing lightsaber academies? 7 months 3 weeks ago #68385

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1059
My understanding is that, the outfit they went after was not trying to fly under the radar with regard to their use of representations of certain trademarked images. Their lack of subtlety is touted to be the reason that they, among so many others, were the targets. It will be interesting to see if that is indeed the case, or if they are just getting started.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot

Lucasfilm suing lightsaber academies? 7 months 3 weeks ago #68387

• JediRabbi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Brax wrote:
... the outfit they went after was not trying to fly under the radar with regard to their use of representations of certain trademarked images... It will be interesting to see if that is indeed the case, or if they are just getting started.

Well put! But there's so much out there that looks awfully (and, I may add, awesomely) close to licensed products. It makes me leery when the franchises begin to close down fan work.

I get their point - they have a business to run and paid good money for the intellectual property. But still...I worry about how far they MIGHT be planning on taking this.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.

Lucasfilm suing lightsaber academies? 7 months 3 weeks ago #68389

• Burns3558
  • Elite Member
  • The force is strong in my family...
  • Thank you received: 55
LA threw a couple cease using the trademarks without permission notices at them and they didn't make any changes. When a company like Disney that prob has one of the best legal teams on the planet is calling you out - you do something about it. All this could have prob been avoided if they stopped using the word Jedi and changed lightsaber to just saber or illuminated saber.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Family Photos (9 Posts)
    • Here's a pic of my WIP Bookcase All of these sabers are in some stage of work in progress. (this...
    • Themed Sabers (808 Posts)
    • Quote: It's a 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' reference; in the Grinch song it says: "I wouldn't touch...
    • Saber Forge at Wizard Wor... (1 Posts)
    • Saber Forge will be at Wizard World in Sacramento the weekend of June 16, 17, and 18! Wizard World...
    • Themed Sabers (808 Posts)
    • Quote: I call it, The Mean One. [image] [image]...[image] I see what...
    • PS-Luke V2 WIP (16 Posts)
    • Quote: I got a hankering for one of these. A bad one! :evil: It is your destiny....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5221
  • Latest Member: Williamastep
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4660
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 9
  • Yesterday Answer: 14