Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to Beat a Newb...

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35689

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
This infuriates me that I'm asking this, but how can newbs that only know how to flail a saber around be beaten? I ask this because I got pretty well owned by my dad a few minutes ago. I was trying to figure out a strategy, but I couldn't because he was flailing the saber around and not having the foggiest clue what he was doing. How can someone who studies this stuff lose so terribly, I ask myself.

So, how do you defeat a newb who has no idea what he is doing, thus giving him unpredictability?

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35700

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 806
Hi Eddlyss64,

You could attempt to perfect the art of Soresu, The Circle of Protection. Or maybe try and get our esteemed new member Mr Morgan "Slave One" Garrett to give you some tips.(And of course not forgetting SF Master Lucien Kane!)

For Tyeth

Mind you I look like a windmill in a hurricane sometimes!

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35703

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
Use the FORCE DUDE! LOL.

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35705

• Shadow1275
  • Form 7 Master
  • Thank you received: 28
Eddlyss64 wrote:
This infuriates me that I'm asking this, but how can newbs that only know how to flail a saber around be beaten? I ask this because I got pretty well owned by my dad a few minutes ago. I was trying to figure out a strategy, but I couldn't because he was flailing the saber around and not having the foggiest clue what he was doing. How can someone who studies this stuff lose so terribly, I ask myself.

So, how do you defeat a newb who has no idea what he is doing, thus giving him unpredictability?

Block until you get the right strike, then smack your opponents blade to the side and finish him. Honestly though blocking and countering takes practice. The best strategy is to play defensive, then move in quick and use your arm to block his sword arm and finish him.

Though perhaps you are thinking too much. Just read and react.
"You may be called upon yet again to defend the glory of the Republic against the tyranny of the Dark Side. For this, is the destiny, of the Jedi..."

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35717

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 296
Eddlyss64 wrote:

Stay back and let him tire himself out from all that wild swinging. When he has to sit down to catch his breath, that's when you nail his ass!! :P It's pretty obvious I know nothing about dueling. ;)
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35724

• Artair
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 75
It really depends on the type of sparing your doing.

In kendo in full gear I find new people are wide open and overexert themselves. So I keep my distance until the move in to strike and go for the hands/arms or head (depending on what they left hanging out) for a quick shot before they complete theirs. If they are just swinging wild I prefer to just stop the match (this is friendly right) and ask them to be more careful and try to execute moves even made up ones instead of flailing or someone is likely to get hurt by an uncontrolled or errant blow.

Kickstarter ASP backer 1641
2 champ ASPs and a Bane.

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35726

• Hazard
  • Smile like you mean it, for the world is not always rainbows and butterflies.
  • Thank you received: 4
As a flailing newbie tonight, I knew that I had no chance if my opponent started attacking me, since I do not know how to block and sidestep just yet. I figured my best chance was to try to go full offense, which I assume is what your dad did, eh? Keep yourself out of his hit range, or block and counter like Shadow said, and after he dives in for a hit, or goes off balance, swing around and wack him, maybe?

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35732

• sf master Lucien Kane
  • Premium Member
  • Knight of Tythos Ridge
  • Thank you received: 135
Indeed, the new swordsman can be very dangerous. They don't think like swordsman so they do what is unexpected.

Watch how they attack, learn how they move. Find their rhythm. Then move in and break their rhythm.

If you aren't using gear... Start using gear. A little safety equipment will give you the confidence you need to use essential techniques without serious injury
"This challenge you will not overcome. Your lightsaber is nothing against the power of the dark side."
"That's why I always carry two."

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #35734

• SithLordLim
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 21
You gotta parry and riposte 24/7 on that.
Lovingly,
SithLordLim

"Too many Urkels on your team; that's why you're Winslow."
-Kanye West

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #36014

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
I do intend to master Form III after I memorize a few Form I dulons, so progress, I suppose.
I know it'll be worth it for gear, Master Kane, even for random fights like that, but unfortunately that's just another investment on my list of 'Things I Need to do When I Get My Next Paycheck'.

My dad would wait me out with his saber motionless. Then as soon as I attempted to step in, he started flailing it around.

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #36724

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 806
Hi Eddlyss64,

You could try this as demonstrated brilliantly in a movie!

Spaceball Defense

Very defensive!

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by For Tyeth. Reason: .gif didn't work, replaced with link
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #36728

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Uhhh...noooo.

His saber is longer than my arm. Thanks for the idea, though.

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #36734

• Slave one
  • Thank you received: 7
i will echo master Luciens thoughts and repeat them.... wear protective gear. gloves, eye protection and a mouth guard should be bare minimum.

dad sounds like a saber clasher. what this means is if he sees a saber he will want to "clash blades". he is not striking out at you or a target other then your saber. so move it and make him miss. then when he over commits to the swing and whoooshes past you ....close in on him and strike him down.... wait thats how a sith lord taught me...

i mean close in and whisper in dads ear... " i love you, but these are not the cookies you are looking for..."

-Slave One
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fenmere, For Tyeth, Eddlyss64, SadiraOrphesu

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #36900

• Fenmere
  • Thank you received: 2
If he doesn't attack until you do, you may be able to use that to your advantage. He may be trying to clash sabers. You could trick him by moving yours one way in a circle and moving in. Master Kane uses that on me and I fall for it far too often :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #38991

• Rokin
Assuming that he is simply flailing the saber as you say, then he won't be paying attention to leaving himself open or giving you a good angle to get in and disarm him. The reason you are having so much trouble is because you are likely used to predicting someone's next move or possibly look for a pattern in the way they fight. The best solution is to look for particular openings, especially any that will allow you to get on the inside of his saber. Also were the saber lengths even? If not then try to utilize the strengths of either the longer or stronger blade to get into those openings. With the longer blade utilize the range to reach into the openings you can find and if your blade is shorter move yourself into the opening and he won't be able to aim for the saber. You can use some spin techniques to open him up yourself as soon as he makes a flailing motion. His momentum will have to stop/shift at some point at which you can use it to your advantage.

Happy Dueling

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 4 months ago #39028

• Blircos
  • Thank you received: 34
I think that was how Kylo Ren felt xD

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 3 months ago #41644

• Dobber
  • Thank you received: 1
I noticed that you said Dulon, so I am guessing you are using the TPLA system. I attend Darth's classes, and in his system the other forms are just extensions of the principles of Shi Cho. (I may have gotten the working wrong, but form 1 is the basis of all after it in their system) so perfect your Shi Cho before moving on is my recommendation.

Back on topic. First, GET PROTECTIVE GEAR as others have said. it not only affords you safety, but also allows you to execute techniques. I have to differ from others who say glasses and both guards. NO! Get a fencing mask. you can get them for $50 from most places. 350n would be preferable, but with lightsabers its not needed IMHO. I have a feeling that your father is fighting your sword and not you because of your lack of protective gear and he does not want to hurt you.

Firstly, an aside. I tend to do my own thing despite attending TPLA and German Longsword classes. I base a lot of my stuff on self taught saber fencing and military saber systems. It is my own personal interpretation of "Makashi" and coincides most closely with the Makashi of Bendu Lightsaber Combat.

Every situation has a way around it, every move has a countermove, but not every move or countermove works every time. AFTER you get your sparring gear, you could try a feint. The simplest example of one would be to feint to one side (dominant preferably) with HAND MOTION ONLY, in the form of a (TPLA terms here) Shimm strike, then commit yourself to a cho strike to the opposite side. Keep both motions in the high line.
Just one suggestion for the infinite set of variables that is combat.

I'll end with a quote: "professionals are predictable, amateurs are dangerous"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 3 months ago #41916

• Afkor
  • I can't believe I got one! I will definitely saber this moment.
  • Thank you received: 12
Well... What I would do is,
-Go for wild, fast attacks.
-Try to intimidate him.
-Strike his blade as hard as you can, and say "That's going to be your neck next.", or something along those lines.
-Try going for dirty hits, ducking down and hitting his shins, or fingers.
-Think of him as your enemy, not your father.
Good luck ;)
look at those cool glowy stabby things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuUpberSith

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 2 months ago #47995

• Neeja_Halcyon
  • And of course I'm happy to spar with you. You're freshly out of combat, your reactions are sharp. I've been sitting idle for quite a while—I need the test."
Be patient, let them come to you, exhaust themselves, parry their first few wild swings.

The most effective way to end things would be Cho Mai. Strike the weapon, or the weapon hand. New combatants are not used to trying to defend their hands, they are often only concerned with attacking, or flailing wildly to defend as they do not know the proper way to deflect or parry an attack.

Cho mai translates as "to cut off the weapon hand." Because this strike instantly ends an opponent's ability to use a weapon but does not kill, cho mai is always a preferred move in combat."
―Cin Drallig[src]

@afkor dont go for wild strikes, they are uncontrolled and dangerous especially if you are not wearing protective equipment
"A word here, an act there, allowing people to choose between good or evil at their own speed and peril was more our way." -Hal Horn
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Neeja_Halcyon.

How to Beat a Newb... 1 year 2 months ago #48022

• Neeja_Halcyon
  • And of course I'm happy to spar with you. You're freshly out of combat, your reactions are sharp. I've been sitting idle for quite a while—I need the test."
Cho mai, hit the weapon with a shim strike as they flail around. Most new duelists instincts are not to protect the hands just flail wildly.
"A word here, an act there, allowing people to choose between good or evil at their own speed and peril was more our way." -Hal Horn
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Family Photos (9 Posts)
    • Here's a pic of my WIP Bookcase All of these sabers are in some stage of work in progress. (this...
    • Themed Sabers (808 Posts)
    • Quote: It's a 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' reference; in the Grinch song it says: "I wouldn't touch...
    • Saber Forge at Wizard Wor... (1 Posts)
    • Saber Forge will be at Wizard World in Sacramento the weekend of June 16, 17, and 18! Wizard World...
    • Themed Sabers (808 Posts)
    • Quote: I call it, The Mean One. [image] [image]...[image] I see what...
    • PS-Luke V2 WIP (16 Posts)
    • Quote: I got a hankering for one of these. A bad one! :evil: It is your destiny....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5221
  • Latest Member: Williamastep
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4660
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 9
  • Yesterday Answer: 14