Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58806

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382

Notes: The Disciple has an "older" pommel that was revised to the pommel that can be seen on the Acolyte. Interestingly the Oracle is not the shortest Apprentice hilt, that distinction belongs to the Consular.

Notes: Here you can see that the new Acolytes/Disciples are the longest hilts in the Apprentice line, being almost a foot in length.

Notes: The Chosen's neck is several mm thicker than the Elite thin neck's neck. Furthermore the emitter "well" that holds the blade in place is 1cm deeper on the Chosen:

Interestingly the metal tube that holds the blade in place and funnels the light from the LED appears to be longer on the Chosen:

Notes: In my opinion the Arbiter/Sentinel pair are probably the best general dueling/spinning hilts in the Apprentice line.

Notes: The Oracle is an interesting hilt in that while it's the third longest design it has as much "usable" hand space as the Consular which appears to limit its' versatility. That said it makes for an attractive option for a single handed "pocket" saber.

Notes: I feel the Bastion is a fairly static, while intriguing, design. It has a very regular body which, I feel, limits the dexterity of the hilt. That said I appreciate how "old" the design looks, like an etched weapon from a bygone age.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by h2soy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, Jaden Korr, Execute66, For Tyeth, Borommakot, OvrcAHst, MrBond, reevie, Gnost-Dural

Apprentice Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58807

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector

Notes: In my opinion the Consular is the smallest and most ergonomically comfortable Apprentice hilt.

Fast Facts:

Length from blade retention screw to emitter lip/LED screw to emitter lip/top switch to emitter lip
Acolyte/Disciple: 3cm/6cm/11cm
Arbiter/Sentinel: .5cm/8cm/13cm
Bastion: 5cm/7.5cm/10cm
Chosen: 3cm/NA/NA
Consular: 4.5cm/8cm/13.5cm
Oracle: 3cm/6cm/11cm

Why do these numbers matter?
The length between the emitter lip and the screws for the LED/blade determine how securely the blade rests in the hilt. There is a great deal of design diversity in the Apprentice line which means that both the length from the blade retention screw to the emitter lip and the length from the emitter lip to the LED retention screw are equally important depending on the hilt. For example, the Arbiter/Sentinel's blade retention screw is located .5cm from the emitter lip. However, the blade slides into the body of the hilt a good 6cm-7cm to rest on the top of the LED (8cm in). The Bastion, on the other hand, has a blade retention screw a good 5cm down the length of the hilt which is very close to the LED retention screw (7.5 cm in) where the end of a blade would rest on top of the LED. The Chosen, since it's a thin-neck is completely different from the rest. It's emitter supports the blade which is surround by 3 cm of the emitter.

Finally the length of space from the switch to the emitter lip gives DIY'ers an idea of how much space they have to work with for their cram/careful-fu. The interiors of the Apprentice's are stingy with space so this is important information to consider.

General Thoughts on the Apprentice Hilts: I firmly believe that the Apprentice line contains some of the most comfortable and versatile hilts that SF offers. While there may be a great deal variety of design in the Elite line you'd be hard pressed to find an Elite hilts (with some exceptions like the Gladius) that is as reliable and comfortable as an Acolyte, Arbiter, Consular Disciple, or Sentinel. The "new kids on the block," the Bastion, Chosen, and Oracle, are responses to customer feedback for a more durable thin neck and cues taken from popular ASP designs (ex. the Oracle's emitter closely resembles emitter 10). So whether you're considering an Apprentice hilt as your "starter" or looking to populate your saber stable with a workhorse the Apprentice line offers some very attractive, affordable, comfortable, and versatile options.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Execute66, For Tyeth, OvrcAHst, HotRod, BoostinIX, Muns

Apprentice Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58809

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1683
Nice write-up! I believe you are correct in every assertion you made about the Apprentice line, and I will have proof when my Consular arrives in about 3 weeks, or so.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Apprentice Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58861

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1873
Excellent Comparison Gallery h2soy. Will something similar be coming along shortly for Elite Line's too? :P Seriously though (unless all Elites is a likelihood in which case- :woohoo: a generous collection you have!) Do the Blade Holder Depths differ much between the 8?

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58875

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Do the Blade Holder Depths differ much between the 8?
Let me get to work on figuring that out...
Will something similar be coming along shortly for Elite Line's too?
Nah. Once I get some orders that are still out, in, I'll be posting an updated pick of my saber cabinet and a "family portrait" of all my hilts. But that won't be for a month or two.

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58880

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 345
Great topic!!!

Do you have a link to the original Bastion design? Does it vary a lot from what we see here?

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58881

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Do you have a link to the original Bastion design? Does it vary a lot from what we see here?
LOL, I meant it looks old, there is no older SF design.

Also: I've updated the post with various stats.

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58886

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 345
h2soy wrote:
LOL, I meant it looks old, there is no older SF design.

Also: I've updated the post with various stats.

Ha, oops, sorry about that. I think I misread that. :oops:

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58895

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 711
This is going to be our standard reference to read! Great thread!

So useful seeing comparisons like this with the sabers lined up next to each other. Really helps with deciding which one.
"I am the Senate"

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58898

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
I may be crazy, but after looking at this thread I think the Oracle looks better without a wrap.

This thread should be stickied or whatever the proper term is!
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58901

• Brax
  • Administrator
I agree!

...and so it was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Borommakot

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58902

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
I may be crazy, but after looking at this thread I think the Oracle looks better without a wrap.
I think it does too. Matter of fact I just finished sanding the black paint off the mid-body, I'll post some pics later.

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58903

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 575
Jaden Korr wrote:
I may be crazy, but after looking at this thread I think the Oracle looks better without a wrap!

I agree. The wrap covers such a tiny space, it's effect is diminished. Leaving it unbroken is more satisfying.

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58906

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
Brax wrote:
I agree!

...and so it was.

Brax be like:

2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: KiakahiSonic7

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58907

• Brax
  • Administrator
I was gonna say that, but I did not want to seem TOO unoriginal. ;) :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58908

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Here we are:

This was VERY easy to do. I folded a sleeve out of 220 grit around the body, torqued it for a few seconds, repeated 3x w/fresh sandpaper, and voila.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Borommakot, Gnost-Dural

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58909

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 575
Torqued on a machine? Looks great! Probably my favorite iteration of the Oracle.

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58910

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
h2soy wrote:
Here we are:

This was VERY easy to do. I folded a sleeve out of 220 grit around the body, torqued it for a few seconds, repeated 3x w/fresh sandpaper, and voila.

That turned out great! And it doesn't look scratchy or anything (which was my main concern with trying this myself).
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58915

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Torqued on a machine? Looks great! Probably my favorite iteration of the Oracle.
Nope, by hand.
And it doesn't look scratchy or anything (which was my main concern with trying this myself).
As long as you stay with the grain and twist in the same direction (clockwise/counterclockwise) while making sure to apply pressure evenly across the body at regular intervals the end quality looks like the finish that SF has on the parts they machine.

Might as well start a new thread with a How-To: Sanding Hilts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

Apprentice Line Comparison Gallery 1 year 9 months ago #58962

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1873
h2soy, great of you to amend you Post with the Blade Holder Depths and very comprehensive of you, Thank You.
Nah. Once I get some orders that are still out, in, I'll be posting an updated pick of my saber cabinet and a "family portrait" of all my hilts. But that won't be for a month or two.
Now this^^ is Some Cool News Coming if ever I read. A glorious day this day shall be with seeing your Cabinet Revisted with pieces collected so far. The timing may just be similarly synchronised to my Collection nearing completion. Several known additional Members joining the Family that haven't quite made it home yet. ;)
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Thomas Snyder Quote of th... (4 Posts)
    • SF always have something up their sleeve! Will be waiting for their take on these hilts.
    • Changing soundfonts on th... (16 Posts)
    • Try updating the firmware....save your fonts first the do the update the firmware file is in your...
    • Pro's and Con's of this h... (21 Posts)
    • I am fortunate that had my wife lived (lost her to mental illness some years back) she would have...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6731
  • Latest Member: JamesAmeft
  • Total Posts: 67.1k
  • Total Topics: 5680
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 13
  • Yesterday Answer: 33