Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Venomous Fury.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48406

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • How hard can rocket science be anyway?
  • Thank you received: 143
So, finally writing this review. I didn't do it before because of the picture situation, or because I'm lazy. Accept any theory you like. So! Why don't I tell y'all a story about the journey here?

A while ago, back in like 2009-2010, I was browsing "lightsaber" results on Google, and found this company called Saberforge. I remember their website animated when you opened it, and that they had some hilts like "Rebel Princess", "Redeemer", and "Desert Trooper" or something to that effect. I really liked it, but was daunted by the prices, and decided I didn't really want one anyway.

Five or six years later, the TFA hype was strong, and I wanted a real lightsaber, not something like the cheap plastic Ultimate FX. I looked at Ultrasabers, and was nearly dead set on getting a Bellicose with sound when I found Saberforge. I thought their website looked oddly familiar, but I couldn't think from where. At any rate, I browsed through their designs, and kept coming back to the Standard Finish Venomous Fury. There's a guy who has a weathered Fury, and I posted in his thread that he described the process leading to my choice exactly.

I watched some reviews on YouTube, though I couldn't find much, and read the reviews here. There was one guy who had it in Deep Blue, and I liked the look of this saber in blue. I also wanted a blue lightsaber to begin with, and this just reinforced my decision. I had decided that a saber without sound was just a fancy flashlight, but a saber with sound was a lightsaber, so I went with the Champion Tier. I decided on Medium Blue because... I can't exactly remember why I chose this shade. Oh well. I also opted to get a Covertech belt clip, and not to get Quick Connects (which I probably should have, but oh well). At some point before this I realized I had seen Saberforge before some 5 years earlier. It was pretty cool realizing this.

So I placed my order on December the 14th, 2015. Between the time I ordered the saber and the time I got it, Saberforge switched over to using 12w+ LEDs, which made me quite happy. During this time, customer service was helpful, if somewhat delayed due to the multiple things going on. I recieved my Toblerone (so there was no need to invoke Saber and a Sweet) on March 11th, 2016. Was this when Knytiri left? I think so. The day was bittersweet. I finally had my saber, but the valiant "Knight of Iri", who had led us all through the Dark Times, and me through my wait, was gone, at least from this forum. Even though my Friday was... not fantastic, my lightsaber was!

It's brighter than I had dared imagine, and I love the Medium Blue of the blade. The Viridian font is clear and powerful, and the speaker is loud, even on Low Intensity it drowns out my old saber. I haven't dared to try it on High. The 32" blade is balanced with the hilt, and a joy to spin around. The hilt's lack of greeblies or control boxes helps this tremendously, and is to my liking. The hilt is solid, with the only sharp edges being those of the emitter shroud, which I couldn't possibly cut myself on, yet I find myself with several mysterious scrapes on my left hand. Maybe I should sand them down or something.

The soundboard absolutely loves to play clash sounds when I'm spinning the hilt, and is reluctant to play them when I'm hitting the blade against something. Oh well. The swing sounds have one particular sound which repeats over and over, which seems like something similar to the Crystal Focus' spin sounds, though I can't get them to chain for too long, because a clash sound will eventually play. The settings menu is clear enough, but I never use the blade flicker, mostly I don't really like any of the speeds. It only has one font, so I may upgrade the sound later. It's good for now, though.

The saber came with a cool blade plug, the Covertech belt clip I ordered, a blade, a kill key, an Allen key, a hilt (obviously), an instruction manual/warranty information sheet, and a Saberforge business card.

All in all, I love it. I will definitely purchase more from Saberforge. Is a Sentinel for my first electronics install as stupid as it sounds?

Here are some pictures of the hilt. I can only link to two at a time, so ask for a specific picture, and I'll do my best to get it to you. But I only have an iPhone 5S camera, so, y'know, that might adversely affect the quality of the image.

So! If I get 8 replies, I'll push the number of replies in the Venomous Fury topic over 100. That's a nice numerical milestone. Just a thought. Not a goal or anything. Also, I FINALLY POSTED THIS REVIEW. Thank goodness. That's done.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by RyanRising.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Execute66, For Tyeth, RotundChap, Borommakot, Kajo, MommyHoldMe, DK44

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48407

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
That is one gorgeous hilt. The blue looks amazing on it. Happy for you bud! Also enjoyed the backstory behind you buying a SF saber :)
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48411

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
MommyHoldMe wrote:
That is one gorgeous hilt. The blue looks amazing on it. Happy for you bud! Also enjoyed the backstory behind you buying a SF saber :)

Thanks! I know it's not black, but I appreciate your appreciation nonetheless!

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48412

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 551
R R great story, and Fierce saber. I'm a fan of the forked emitters, and really like the grenade grip on this hilt. Nice picture of Med Blue, always hard to get good photos of color.
MTFBWY
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanRising

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48413

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 123
Nice saber my friend, and nice review! We don't see very often members talk about why they purchased a saber. This was very interesting to read.

Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy your saber :)!
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48414

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 983
Well done Ryan-Rising!

See it wasn't too bad writing your review and I have to say it is a good one! Really beautiful hilt and your phone captured it perfectly. Nice shade of blue as well.Great context surrounding your order and wait.
Enjoy your Saber, it looks a great one.

For Tyeth

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48415

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
=Ottomatix= wrote:
R R great story, and Fierce saber. I'm a fan of the forked emitters, and really like the grenade grip on this hilt. Nice picture of Med Blue, always hard to get good photos of color.
MTFBWY

Huh, I didn't think it was a very good picture of the color. With lightsabers, it's always difficult. The best description you can give someone is probably still "ESB Bespin Duel". But thanks for the kind words.

Y'know, myself, I'm a more of a fan of the slanted emitter aspect of it more than that of the forked, but the two aren't exclusive, of course. The combination of the grenade grip, slightly tapered end leading to the pommel, the slanted emitter and detailing near the neck, the fantastic balance of black and silver all just screamed out to me that this lightsaber needed to be owned by me. The forked part really does add something to the saber, though the prongs are ever so uneven. It doesn't bother me unless I look for it, though, and it as a design feels whole and made to be together. Odd considering that it's actually made by combining a Venom and a Fury, two different sabers.

AAHH! Now that I've started typing I can't stop! Please send someone to knock my phone out of my hands.

EDIT: (nobody slapped my phone away) Thanks For Tyeth and Darth(-)Revan! I certainly have been enjoying my saber and will be for a long time. I'm not giving it away, that's for sure. I forgot to mention, my blade wobbled a bit when I first put it in, I wrapped some Scotch tape around the base of the blade, and the wobble is long gone. The blade retention screw appears to have been moved down from the emitter shroud to between the first and second silver rings on the neck of the lightsaber.

Also, =Ottomatix=, you changed your profile picture in the time between me writing this reply and me editing it. Wow.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by RyanRising.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48417

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
The medium blue works great with the dual-tone hilt, and you gotta love those grenade grips!

And your review was very well done; it gave us backstory, laid out the positives and negatives without being dramatic (not that anyone here has, I'm comparing it to reviews in general), and the pictures were set up and lit in a way that showed off the blade color well.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48422

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
Jaden Korr wrote:
The medium blue works great with the dual-tone hilt, and you gotta love those grenade grips!

And your review was very well done; it gave us backstory, laid out the positives and negatives without being dramatic (not that anyone here has, I'm comparing it to reviews in general), and the pictures were set up and lit in a way that showed off the blade color well.

Okay, last post today. I promise. Thanks! I was hoping to be level-headed about this, good to know I achieved it. I think I'll use that coffee table during the daytime to post any more pictures of lightsabers (unless someone's holding one) that I'll get, it seems to work. And yeah, I do gotta love those grenade grips. How can I not?
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by RyanRising. Reason: This is the 100th reply in the Venomous Fury review section. Yeah round numbers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48424

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
Awesome saber and a great review to go along with it. Congrats Ryan. Enjoy that medium blue beast.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48432

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 668
Very nice! Enjoy your new saber! Medium Blue is the "safest" blue to get when one is unsure which blue. It's a beautiful shade of blue and most bright.
"I am the Senate"

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48435

• Gaelis
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Great review and a nice looking saber. Congratulations.

Have you attempted to adjust the clash and swing sensitivity settings, see if you can bring the clash down and the swing up to get the chains you want?
For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48438

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Nice story and good review! The VF looks fantastic! The medium blue seems like the right shade to go. Enjoy your saber!
- Light em up

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48441

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Great review Ryan-Rising! Very nice saber you got there! The medium blue looks fantastic! I'm glad i went with medium blue for the Avenger i ordered! Congrats & Enjoy!

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48443

• Kajo
  • Thank you received: 8
Ahh great review! You kept your promise of writing one, I see.
I did consider a weathered VF several times because of its longer grip compared to the Fury.
Congrats on your saber! The VF looks fun to spin. :)

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48452

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
Gaelis wrote:
Great review and a nice looking saber. Congratulations.

Have you attempted to adjust the clash and swing sensitivity settings, see if you can bring the clash down and the swing up to get the chains you want?

Thanks Gaelis! I have done that, and the result is I get no clashes when I hit things with the blade and less, though still a few, clashes when I spin the saber. The chain effect is already there with the swing sounds. That one "shrug" emoticon would work well here.

Also, thank you for the congratulations Greysider, Execute66, Andi-Jae EL, DK44, and Kajo. Kajo, you were the one who wrote the Fury review I spoke of, if there are those out there who didn't already know.

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48460

• RotundChap
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Great saber and great review. I'm currently in week 8 of my wait time for a amber colored VF. I fell in love with this saber while making ASP sabers on saberparts.com. 90% of the sabers I made either had the VF body or pomel.

Thanks again and enjoy your saber!

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48549

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1787
Ryan-Rising, Thank you for your Review and am glad you found inspiration (or inspiration found you) to post it. With the clarity of the images you included you may have re-ignited my desire to obtain the Venomous Fury as this was the very first Hilt as my initial favourite. Medium Blue is a great colour choice. A special mention to your reference by reminiscing your time under the direction of Captain with Knight of Iri. Well put. Your word choice by association and Poem interpretation (for those that missed it) has successfully created the significance. Respectful.

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48616

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I've always liked the Venomous Fury, and I have to admit it looks a lot better in blue than I imagined it would!

Medium Blue 12w+ Standard Finish Champion VF 1 year 9 months ago #48618

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
Zeddicuus wrote:
I've always liked the Venomous Fury, and I have to admit it looks a lot better in blue than I imagined it would!

I've seen you say that before. Thanks Zeddicuus!

OvrcAhst wrote:
Ryan-Rising, Thank you for your Review and am glad you found inspiration (or inspiration found you) to post it. With the clarity of the images you included you may have re-ignited my desire to obtain the Venomous Fury as this was the very first Hilt as my initial favourite. Medium Blue is a great colour choice. A special mention to your reference by reminiscing your time under the direction of Captain with Knight of Iri. Well put. Your word choice by association and Poem interpretation (for those that missed it) has successfully created the significance. Respectful.

Wow, I... really don't know what to say. I just typed a review out sitting on the edge of my bed because I figured I had time. But thank you for thanking me, OvrcAhst. :)
RotundChap wrote:
Great saber and great review. I'm currently in week 8 of my wait time for a amber colored VF. I fell in love with this saber while making ASP sabers on saberparts.com. 90% of the sabers I made either had the VF body or pomel.

Thanks again and enjoy your saber!

No problem, RotundChap! Amber seems to be a popular color choice for this specific lightsaber. You'll love your saber, I certainly love mine.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by RyanRising. Reason: Apparently I need to add two spaces between quotes to get them to space properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2648 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey all, Brian here from New Jersey. NJ you say? What a coincidence... Question: When someone...
    • Saber Blade Question (2 Posts)
    • No. The "thin neck blade" is a 1" blade and will not fit into the Youngling saber. The only...
    • Sacrifice. (14 Posts)
    • Was going to say that I'm not fond of the glorification of weapons (referring to the shotgun)...
    • "Solo" Millenni... (3 Posts)
    • "all these changes".. there's a smaller gun, smaller sat dish and different paint job.. For all we...
    • "Solo" Millenni... (3 Posts)
    • Honestly I think it looks really sharp and nice the way it is for this upcoming movie, it does...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6404
  • Latest Member: Morganstanely
  • Total Posts: 63.6k
  • Total Topics: 5386
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 34
  • Yesterday Answer: 52