Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 1 year 2 weeks ago #73974

• MalsBrownCoat
  • Thank you received: 22
I recently purchased a second ASP saber during the Valentine's sale event. My girlfriend was watching me build mine using the ASP site and decided that she wanted one too. I had initially opted for Body #1. She went with the Reliant body and did a Medium Green wrap, to compliment her Mint Green led. After we received them, I admitted to her that I found myself liking the look of hers more than mine.

So, to remedy, I went back to the builder and started playing with some wrap colors that would match my Cyan led. I found a very nice combo that I decided that was a must have.

Turns out, what I needed was a Teal leather wrap on a black Reliant body.
Order placed.
Order received.
Order...not..as...expected...

I selected “teal”, “medium green” and “dark green”, again, using various monitors and browsers.
[note that the camera on my phone doesn’t do a great job of rendering the true colors, but] Suffice it to say, what I received is not at all like the “Teal” in the asp builder.

Now, I know what you're all thinking, and I thought it too.
“Well, colors can vary based on the screen.”
And while that’s true, I checked this build (using the following link) on 4 different machines (with different screens), and using several different browsers. None of them rendered the kind of “green” that I received.

http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure?code=4.116.1.0-3.104.4.34-2.73.1.0-1.18.4.0-7.152.12.0-6.150.4.0-5.144.0.0-8.154.0.0

SF's response included that, "The images on the 3D builder are computer generated, and may differ from the real life product. More accurate color examples can be seen on our website, however due to lighting for photography purposes, the colors may look different in real life."

However, even on the storefront site, the "Teal" is much closer to what's in the ASP builder than what I received.

SF has offered to replace the color, but I'm not sure what to ask for. I don't want to send this one back, only to receive something equally as unrepresentative (or worse) as depicted colors on the sites.

Does anyone have leather wraps in either Light Blue or Teal that they can provide example pictures of?
Obviously everyone's cameras/phones will be a little different than an in-person view, but I'm looking to get as close to what the ASP builder's version of "Teal" is, to match the Cyan led .

Suggestions?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by MalsBrownCoat. Reason: fixed images
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 1 year 2 weeks ago #73998

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
To be fair, the warm indoor lights aren't helping any. Taking it outside into sunlight will give a better idea of the color you received, and while it's still not a perfect match for the render or site photo, it is a bit closer:

The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 1 year 2 weeks ago #74009

• MalsBrownCoat
A perfectly valid point, Kouri.

In natural daylight (and trust me, we have no shortage of that in Arizona), it's lighter, but still not the more "candy" blue that I was expecting.

I'm curious if the "Light Blue" wrap actually looks more like what I was looking for in person. = /

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 1 year 2 weeks ago #74010

• RotundChap
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I've had this concern too about ordering hilts with leather wraps. My first thought was maybe the sabersmith that filled your order grabbed the wrong color accidentally.

In SF's offer to replace the wrap, did they offer to send you the wrap by itself OR would you need to send back the part you have now and wait for them to fix it??

Honestly, I'd suggest going to a local fabric store and buying/replacing the wrap yourself. It could be the best way to make sure you get something you like.

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 1 year 2 weeks ago #74015

• Roger Redux
  • Premium Member
  • May The Force serve you well.
  • Thank you received: 48
Also, it kind of looks like they photographed them under fluorescent lights, and that also might've affected how they look in the pictures.

In the spirit of fairness, the pics you posted of what you received do actually look like what I think of as being the color "teal".

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 1 year 2 weeks ago #74016

• MalsBrownCoat
I would need to send the body back to them.

Your idea about checking out a fabric store is a good one. I suppose it shouldn't be that hard to do a glue/wrap job. But it's a little disconcerting to have paid for a wrap that was not indicative of that which was advertised.

I mean, the ASP builder is computer modeled. Ok, fine.
The store front shot is likely done using studio grade cameras/lighting/backdrops (and could be edited/enhanced post-production). Noted.

But between those two, they look pretty identical (to my untrained eyes).

Adding in what I received, and if all three looked different, I could understand that. Because several different mediums are used.
With 2 out of 3 though being nearly exact, I can't help but to start singing the old "One of these things is not like the others..." song.

I've asked SF for an "unstaged" side by side shot of the teal, light blue and medium blue wraps, so that I might be able to better ascertain which is more of a match to what I was expecting. Hopefully they'll come through. In best case scenario, it might even turn out that the one that I have ends up being the closest to what I had asked for. *shrug*

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 1 year 2 weeks ago #74017

• MalsBrownCoat
Roger Redux wrote:
In the spirit of fairness, the pics you posted of what you received do actually look like what I think of as being the color "teal".

Quite true. I had thought that the advertised "teal" was more of the cyan-ish blue that I wanted, despite being called "teal". Whatever it was named, it was what I had intended to purchase. = )

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 1 year 1 week ago #74094

• RotundChap
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
MalsBrownCoat wrote:
I would need to send the body back to them.

Your idea about checking out a fabric store is a good one. I suppose it shouldn't be that hard to do a glue/wrap job. But it's a little disconcerting to have paid for a wrap that was not indicative of that which was advertised.

I can see/understand your point about paying for a wrap that wasn't what you wanted or expected. But I'm betting CS would refund you the price for the wrap. And doing it yourself would definitely take less time than sending the body back to SF and waiting for a replacement.

Leather Wraps - What You See vs What You Get 11 months 4 weeks ago #74528

• MalsBrownCoat
I decided to take customer support up on their offer to swap out the wrap, so I sent the body back to them and within a few days, India had sent me a side-by-side shot of the wrap options that they thought would be a good fit for my Cyan led.

After seeing this shot, I took a chance on opting for the light blue wrap.

Wow, what a difference. It's much closer to the hue on the ASP builder and a pretty good match to the image on the storefront.

For reference;

I'm a lot happier with this color scheme than the initial teal. My only gripe is that with the teal wrap, the technician very cleverly hid the last part of the wrapping under the covertec knob. It was quite ingenious and would have kept the wrap from unraveling at the bottom. In the case of the return, the wrap that I received was simply glued to itself at the bottom, and will likely result in comping apart with basic handling. For that reason, I decided to align the body so that the glued area will not be in contact with my palm. It's a little awkward feeling, with the covertec knob in the handling position that it is, but, a minor gripe over all.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Overhauling my Ultrasaber... (102 Posts)
    • Right, so upon receiving that update from For Tyeth as well as looking a bit more closely at the PC...
    • Hello Master Eddlyss, I just sent you another PM to correct the previous advice I sent you! I have...
    • Okay, thanks for your help. I'm looking to have it so that the LED on the switch is illuminated...
    • All by Oneself.. (5 Posts)
    • Hello Everybody, Well, at least we now have a definite age for Chewie - 190 years old! (at the time...
    • SF vs VV blades? (6 Posts)
    • Quote: I was considering to buy a dual diffused 1' trans white VV blade, since i heard that it is...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6824
  • Latest Member: HeXeK
  • Total Posts: 68.6k
  • Total Topics: 5783
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 17
  • Yesterday Answer: 70