Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: What parts do I need for a custom saber

What parts do I need for a custom saber 2 months 2 weeks ago #74351

• Lucht
Hello, I recently found this company. It's awesome, and I want to make my own saber. I already made mine on the saberparts website, but I don't know what I need for a saber with light, sound and all that good stuff :)

I was hoping some of you could provide me with a list of parts I need to have for a complete saber.

Here's a link for those interested: http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure?code=4.137.1.0-3.88.1.23-2.59.1.0-1.38.1.0-7.152.16.0-5.144.0.0

Thank you in advance :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What parts do I need for a custom saber 2 months 2 weeks ago #74361

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
It looks like all the parts you would need are in stock, however I noticed that the Dissident body does not list the Black Stingray wrap on the main website. You may have to confirm with Saberforge whether this is available or not unless you are willing to substitute the wrap.

You can find your emitter, switch, body and pommel on the Saberforge website. You'll probably want a blade plug and a blade (26"/32"/37", depending on preference. You can also opt for a less duel-worthy colored blade, or "day blade" that will make your color stand out more).

For electronics, you have a couple choices:

1. If you would rather not get involved with it, you can opt for SF custom assembly. Here, you pick your package and some specific features and they'll do everything for you.

2. If you don't mind a bit of work, you can also choose PnP electronics. These are simple in that you only have to plug in some prewired connectors to get it working. On the other hand, you still have to deal getting all of the wire in the hilt and setting it up right. We can give you some tips and tricks to help you out if you go this route.

3. If you really want the ability to customize later, you'll need to go through the work of doing the electronics yourself. Of course, this involves a lot of research and skill, but if you're really willing you can give it a shot.

Past this, you need to decide generally what features you want. There are 3 additional routes you could go:

1. "I don't care much for customization, as long as it looks, feels, and sounds like a lightsaber I'm fine." A champion kit would be what you're looking for. You'll be set up with a single color LED (yellow in your case) and a soundboard with either a light side (Viridium) or dark side (crimson) sound set. Can be done through any of the 3 above methods.

2. "I want total control of the sound and color, even at the expense of brightness." A Hero kit meets these criteria. You'll end up with an RGBA LED module where you can pretty much achieve any possible lightsaber color, though the result will be dimmer that a champion module. You'll also be able to put 6 custom and swappable sound fonts in the saber, with a little bit of know-how in the Spark Configuration Editor. You could have a saber that is lime green one and sounds screen accurate one second, and a few inputs later a hot pink blade that makes fart noises. Really up to you. Can be done through any of the above methods.

3. "I want control of anything and everything, or at least control of the sound without compromising brightness." The best route for this would be DIY, or hiring out an external sabersmith to do the work for you.

If you have a good idea of what features you want the saber to have, we can help you out with that in a bit more detail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurudoiKi, Lucht

What parts do I need for a custom saber 2 months 2 weeks ago #74379

• Lucht
Thank you a lot, I have a few questions still, though.

Is it possible to get a saber with only the ignition sound(and unignition) but not affect the blades brightness?

I live in the Netherlands, and I wanted to ask what kind of socket you need for the lightsaber charging.

What determines the blades color?

and mainly, I've seen a few videos of unpacking these custom saber parts. Do all the electronics come with the package? or do you have to pick them yourself? I have this (maybe) wierd illusion that you get the electronics with the package. Probarbly not, but I'm still asking. They're quite costly and I do want to know what I'm getting when I attempt to buy this.

What parts do I need for a custom saber 2 months 2 weeks ago #74389

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
Your lightsaber's color is determined by the LED module that will be installed in it. 12W LED modules contain four individual LEDs of set colors - white, blue, royal blue, green, amber, red, red-orange, and photo-red. To obtain maximum brightness you need to pick a color made by running four of these LEDs at full power - for example, yellow is made by running two green and two red LEDs at full brightness.

The easiest option to have a bright saber with sound would be the Champion electronics set. This will get you a saber with a full brightness color and a sound set that is either light or dark side. If you choose the add-on Champion Assembly Package with your order the saber will arrive completed at your door step, no effort required but charging. Please note from the website:
This assembly package must be purchased along with saber parts emitter/switch/body/pommel and blade plug (optional).

https://saberforge.com/collections/asp-assembly-services/products/champion-assembly-package?variant=36438898506

The cost for that option in your saber would be ~$148 USD for your designed hilt with a blade plug and ~$250 USD for the champions electronics package, for a total of about ~400 USD plus shipping and any applicable customs fees. You can choose your lightsaber's color, whether you want dark or light side sound effects, and the length of the lightsaber blade you will get.

In terms of charger, Saberforge uses a 3A Lithium-Ion quick charger with a 3.5mm port. If you specify in your order notes, they should send you a European charger compatible with your saber.

What parts do I need for a custom saber 2 months 2 weeks ago #74437

• Lucht
Thanks a lot for explaining, did get a bit costly at the end. Better get saving up. How do you come to know so much about these?

What parts do I need for a custom saber 2 months 1 week ago #74473

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
I've been following the forums for a couple years, starting around the time I placed my first hilt order the August before Episode 7 was released. That helps me know some of the SF particulars. Besides that, I'm an electrical engineer and I've spent a good amount of time prepping for several DIY builds that I've either not had the time or soldering skill to do as of yet..

If you check around the forums, there's quite a bit of material to learn from if you're interested!
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Snakeeyz99.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5257
  • Latest Member: Jwon15
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4686
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0