Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: How to DIY grey weathering

How to DIY grey weathering 2 months 2 weeks ago #74752

• curlykrantt
I'm finally in a position to buy my first saber, but the two that I'm deciding between (Heretic and Disciple) don't come in grey weathering. The regular weathering seems to be a little dark for what I'm looking for, though I know it's always different for each hilt.
I've done some research and it sounds like sanding down a darker finish is the way to go, but in your opinions should I start with a black or weathered finish?

This is an excellent example of the type of finish I want:
https://www.facebook.com/SaberForgeLLC/posts/734834199870687
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to DIY grey weathering 2 months 1 week ago #74763

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
Honestly, it's really personal preference. There's several viable options.

You could start from the black anodized or weathered finish as a base and sand it to taste (scotch brite pads work great). This is probably the simplest method, and can be used as a base for the next one:

You could take off most of the weathered/black finish or start from the dual tone finish and use spray paint (flat black or aluminum black are the most common), then when it dries sand it a bit. An rag soaked in acetone is nice to break up the paint without really taking it off completely like sanding would; it also sort of blends the areas together.

After using paint you may wish to top it off with an enamel clear coat. This will prevent it from wearing any further... should you not want it too. If you don't clear coat, it will naturally weather more over time with use.

Another style that I've seen done is via chemical weathering. I picked up an empty hilt that was done with ferric chloride and then aluminum black paint. That made it a mix of brown and grey.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by KelbornX.

How to DIY grey weathering 2 months 1 week ago #74765

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 268
If you wanted that grey look, simple way would be to cover the whole thing with a matte black, or dark grey matte spray paint. let it dry, then use a combo of medium and fine grade steel wool to gradually reduce it down to the desired effect. It would be time consuming, but should achieve that look.

How to DIY grey weathering 2 months 1 week ago #74775

• curlykrantt
Thank you both for your advice! I think I'll get the black finish to start with, then if sanding it down doesn't work I can still use the spray paint method you both suggested. Unfortunately, right now I live in a very small apartment so I'll probably try just sanding it down first before trying anything messier, I don't think I'll be able to try anything chemical at all.

I've made a few props before, but I've never worked with metal and I would hate to mess up a saber. I assume Youtube is a good bet for seeing how other people tackle this?

How to DIY grey weathering 2 months 1 week ago #74776

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
Yep, lots of stuff on YouTube!

The TCSS channel has a bunch of great tutorials done by Rob from Genesis Custom Sabers, including a weathering tutorial. Shameem has a nice one on Shattered Weathering as well.

Here's those two to get you started:

Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by KelbornX.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Korbanth Duke-I've been l... (6 Posts)
    • One of my unicorns. Anxiously waiting for the next run on these. I'll be following this build for...
    • Prodigal Son Battery Help... (3 Posts)
    • You will want to trim the legs on the switches first, to reduce their length. Once you've done that...
    • Chassis Help (5 Posts)
    • There isn't a chassis specifically designed for the PS that I am aware of, but there are "generic"...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5294
  • Latest Member: neoskamark
  • Total Posts: 56.3k
  • Total Topics: 4709
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 7
  • Yesterday Answer: 20