Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dummy kill keys

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43481

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
  • Some sentients aren't after anything logical. Some sentients just want to watch the galaxy burn.
  • Thank you received: 90
Has anyone made or know where I could get a dummy kill key for the 2015 version of the Gladius?
I think it would look better if you could have the saber on while maintaining the two button appearance.
I am chaos in order's guise.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43497

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 558
Interesting Q'. the recharge port mechanism requires for there to be a key inserted Into it to cut power to the saber. When the kill key is removed it reveals the recharge port. You want to know if there is a way to cover the port with a "dummy kill key" while the saber is on? Hmm

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43505

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Both are currently out of stock but may be available again in the future:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Kill-plug-style-2-P570.aspx?ItemId=330631

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Kill-plug-style-3-P579.aspx

You can make your own with this:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Kill-plug-style-4-P783.aspx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth Vexing

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43510

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
The kill key only cut the circuit when fully inserted - the switch is at the bottom of the recharge port. I've seen a few guys make keys with a notch cut at the bottom. The key stays in the recharge port, but they'll twist it to enable/disable the circuit.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43518

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
I wonder if SF will ever sell the kill keys they make. I really like the knurled detail along the sides.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43525

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 44
Jaden Korr wrote:
I wonder if SF will ever sell the kill keys they make. I really like the knurled detail along the sides.

They do... I just ordered a handful so I have backups ready to go in case I lose them. I tried to get a couple weathered, and a brass (requested in order notes), but no idea if they sell those or just the standard finish. I will let you know if that request was honored when they arrive.

They're available at this link for $5/piece

http://www.saberforge.com/accessories/kill-key

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43528

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
Is it just me, or are Kouri and I the only people that understood what this guy asked.?.!

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43545

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 44
I understood, and actually may look in to how to modify them such that this can remain in the socket without making it an open circuit.

I actually like the way US wires their hilts better. I've seen minimal battery drain with a non-illuminated switch without a kill key, and really like the ability to power the LED for display while plugged in to the charger. The tradeoff is well worth it in my opinion.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43551

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
I don't think there's a feasible workaround w/ in-hilt recharge port. I could see using a latching switch in conjunction w/ a momentary switch. unfortunately the battery would have to be removed along with the in-hilt recharge function. The latching switch could open or close the circuit, much like the kill key would.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43562

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
  • Some sentients aren't after anything logical. Some sentients just want to watch the galaxy burn.
Maybe I'm not understanding how the kill key works.
My presumption was that the kill key just introduced a bit if circuitry that opened the circuit, thereby interrupting the electrical flow. Wouldn't a key of the same size and shape without the circuitry securely fill the port without interrupting the circuit?

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43598

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
There are no electronics in the kill key. It is just a piece of plastic on a metal knob that mechanically opens the circuit by forcing a micro switch in the recharge port to open the circuit. When removed the micro switch closes the circuit and power is sent to the board.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43599

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
How wide, and deep would the notch need to be? That sounds like my best option.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43607

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
Can't say, unsure of how deep it is. If you leave a modified kill key in, what would you do to keep it from rotating while wielding it. It would be in the way and subjected to contact.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43615

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
So I take it that the in hilt recharge port is not a micro/mini USB port? If not how so you access the soundboard and other user alterable features?

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43616

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
Oh, I do want to thank everyone for their responses to my question. It is deeply appreciated.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Darth Vexing.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43617

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
=Ottomatix= wrote:
Can't say, unsure of how deep it is. If you leave a modified kill key in, what would you do to keep it from rotating while wielding it. It would be in the way and subjected to contact.

A good question.

If the notch had flat enough sides, wouldn't the raised switch keep it from rotating?

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43621

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
Salacious B Crumb wrote:
Jaden Korr wrote:

They do... I just ordered a handful so I have backups ready to go in case I lose them. I tried to get a couple weathered, and a brass (requested in order notes), but no idea if they sell those or just the standard finish. I will let you know if that request was honored when they arrive.

They're available at this link for $5/piece

http://www.saberforge.com/accessories/kill-key

Apparently I had a brain fart...I even looked at that page recently. Thanks for pointing that out.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43622

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
Darth Vexing wrote:
So I take it that the in hilt recharge port is not a micro/mini USB port? If not how so you access the soundboard and other user alterable features?

Most sabers with soundboards that can swap soundfonts use a microSD card that pops out and you edit it on a computer. The current Sabercore boards (which are used on champion sabers) can't swap out soundfonts, but the blade flicker, volume, and swing and clash sensitivity can be editted in the in-hilt menu by holding down the momentary button while the saber is off. Press the button to cycle options, then hold to confirm.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43623

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
No its not a micro usb, it a 2.1mm round power plug. Most high end souncards are configurable via a micro SD card. Some offer an option called a rice port, which allows the user to hook up saber to a computer while the saber is active. Then you can change colors and settings on-the-fly.

Dummy kill keys 1 year 11 months ago #43625

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
Darth Vexing wrote:
=Ottomatix= wrote:

A good question.

If the notch had flat enough sides, wouldn't the raised switch keep it from rotating?
I guess so but you must consider that the port itself is round and so is the kill key. Also it is slightly offset, not centered.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Tips For Snagging Saber M... (56 Posts)
    • The big upside of living with ones parents and working shift and weekends is, that I'm paid a few...
    • "DIY" Star Wars... (71 Posts)
    • The upside of using matte paint is that I already have 2 cans of matte spray paint from other...
    • "DIY" Star Wars... (71 Posts)
    • Sounds like a cool idea. I wouldnt take money out of the saber fund tho. But if you plan on doing...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6621
  • Latest Member: haku
  • Total Posts: 65.9k
  • Total Topics: 5580
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 18
  • Yesterday Answer: 62