Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Spinning practice!

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65622

• Samhain138
  • Thank you received: 28
I'm still pretty new here, so I figured I'd show a video of a recent practice I did. I post a lot over on the US forums so I hope spinning stuff is fine here.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, =Ottomatix=, ToyKeeper, DaveMitHut, NIGHTBRINGER, Alister, DawnDreams

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65637

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Very nice hand work. Looks like you pretty tight axis on most of your spins. I see a mix of combat style precessions along with some more artistic open handed flourishes and it looks great.

I would say add more foot work in.

Over all, very impressive!

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65641

• Samhain138
I'm definitely not the most agile person. I've been working on moving around more with the saber though. When you're as big as I am it gets a little tricky trying not to hit yourself with your spins when moving and keeping it tight.

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65668

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 85
Samhain138 wrote:
... a video of a recent practice I did ...
Hah, so nonchalant. Your spinning definitely gives me something to aspire to. :)
(I'm a noob; got my first saber last month and am starting from ground level so I only know a few basics thus far)

... it gets a little tricky trying not to hit yourself with your spins ...
If these light sabers were real, I would have already trashed all of my skirts and lost all my limbs several times over. I even managed to hit myself in the ear once while first trying to learn the Obi-Ani flourish. But mostly I catch the blade on my skirt.

I have a partner to spar with, and we have armor and/or blade foam to avoid injuries, but she's always too busy to duel. So I mostly go out alone to learn spinning. Would at least like it if she could make time for saber ball once in a while though... basically, two or more people, light sabers (or shinais), and something like a heavy-duty beach ball. Hit the ball to each other while trying to keep it from touching the ground.
This is not the post you're looking for.

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65675

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 296
Nice. :)
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65679

• Samhain138
If these light sabers were real, I would have already trashed all of my skirts and lost all my limbs several times over. I even managed to hit myself in the ear once while first trying to learn the Obi-Ani flourish. But mostly I catch the blade on my skirt.

I stabbed myself in the eye. No joke. I was doing a reverse grip plum flower and when I come up from doing the obi ani in reverse grip it came straight up into my eye. It wasn't a light hit either, it was hard.
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by Samhain138.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ToyKeeper

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65680

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
Wow really smooth and fluid. :)

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65710

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Samhain138 wrote:

I stabbed myself in the eye. No joke. I was doing a reverse grip plum flower and when I come up from doing the obi ani in reverse grip it came straight up into my eye. It wasn't a light hit either, it was hard.

Clocked myself in the chin couple nights ago doing almost the exact same thing!

Spinning practice! 9 months 3 weeks ago #65712

• DaveMitHut
  • Thank you received: 7
Your spins look amazing! I just started learning and I really hope that someday they'll look as great as yours.

Worst that happened to me so far was putting a notch in my ceiling today. Nothing happened to the blade though, so it's okay. Just practicing outside from now on!

Spinning practice! 9 months 2 weeks ago #65782

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Very smooth and fluid! I can't get the one behind my back. You've obviously put some time in.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Spinning practice! 9 months 2 weeks ago #65784

• Samhain138
HotRod wrote:
Very smooth and fluid! I can't get the one behind my back. You've obviously put some time in.

I've been doing this almost a year. I started practicing a little before Halloween last year. But I've definitely put a lot of effort into learning. When you say behind the back you mean when I change hands behind me? That ones simple. Just kind of turn and look what you're doing until you've mastered it.

Spinning practice! 9 months 2 weeks ago #65788

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
Samhain138 wrote:
HotRod wrote:

I've been doing this almost a year. I started practicing a little before Halloween last year. But I've definitely put a lot of effort into learning. When you say behind the back you mean when I change hands behind me? That ones simple. Just kind of turn and look what you're doing until you've mastered it.

I mean simply spinning it behind my back. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the terminology (if it's a flourish or whatnot). The hand change looked even harder. :-)

Spinning practice! 9 months 2 weeks ago #65794

• Samhain138
Hm...well that's unfortunate. I went and recorded a quick little video showing how I do a behind the back hand change for you. So you need help with the flourish where it goes behind you? That's called the obi ani spin by a lot of people. Maybe I can do a breakdown of that later.

Oh well, here's my video even if it's the wrong thing! Maybe you'll still find it useful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod, ToyKeeper, DaveMitHut, DawnDreams

Spinning practice! 9 months 2 weeks ago #65822

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
Samhain138 wrote:
Hm...well that's unfortunate. I went and recorded a quick little video showing how I do a behind the back hand change for you. So you need help with the flourish where it goes behind you? That's called the obi ani spin by a lot of people. Maybe I can do a breakdown of that later.

Oh well, here's my video even if it's the wrong thing! Maybe you'll still find it useful.

Holy cow! Thank you so much! :woohoo: Well, I know what my wife and I are doing tomorrow. Out in the yard practicing. We'll find a soft place to do this to keep the sabers safe if they are dropped.

I cannot thank you enough for the tutorial. More to come as we try this...

Spinning practice! 9 months 2 weeks ago #65825

• Samhain138
Glad I was able to help! Let me know if you need any help with any other moves!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod

Spinning practice! 5 months 1 week ago #70851

• NIGHTBRINGER
  • Thank you received: 4
Awesome stuff!!! :cheer: Which saber hilts do you find best for this level of advanced spinning?

Spinning practice! 4 months 3 weeks ago #71570

• Alister
  • Thank you received: 5
this is inspiring really! Im trying alot of it on my own but my hilts design (prodigal son) makes it kind weird feeling and odd to to spin. Also my blade is a 37" and just feels too big for it. still trying though :lol:
SF Prodigal Son Champion

We are only as wise as our most foolish mo... oh cookies!

Spinning practice! 2 months 3 weeks ago #73865

• DawnDreams
  • If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
  • Thank you received: 7
Looks great and the spinning goes so smoothly! I'm a noob too, got my saber in January. I'm learning to spin now and have gotten a few bruises to the calves and shins. :lol:

I ordered the 26" and 32" blade because I'm only 1.60m and wasn't sure which length would be best for me. I'm practicing with the 26" for a start.
We come alone, we leave alone. Everything else is a gift.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2389 Posts)
    • Hi everybody ! Elouann, french lightsaber enthusiast ! I'm a student of the Sport Saber League,...
    • Family Photos (12 Posts)
    • Hoho, these are some awesome collections.
    • Family Photos (12 Posts)
    • Here's a pic of my WIP Bookcase All of these sabers are in some stage of work in progress. (this...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5225
  • Latest Member: KevinTrola
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4659
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 9