Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Saber Combat Journal

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 5 months ago #31373

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
I'd like to start a public journal that anyone can add to about their saber training, basically telling about my daily training and eventually start posting pictures. Anyone can also post about their saber training. Sound good?

Today-1/10/16
Continued and greatly elaborated on Form I Accelerations, which I started on Saturday. Took me a long time to finally get the hang of which side I need to deflect on to preform a Sai or Cho strike in a certain direction, but I soon got the hang of it. Intend to start muscle building again tomorrow. I took all last week off of my daily 110-120 pushups and 2 minute v sits, and so I'm gonna be in bad shape. However, with a break under my belt I should be fully recharged.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 5 months ago #32198

• sf master Lucien Kane
  • Premium Member
  • Knight of Tythos Ridge
  • Thank you received: 135
Very neat concept... I'll play
"This challenge you will not overcome. Your lightsaber is nothing against the power of the dark side."
"That's why I always carry two."

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #34988

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
Wow, I'm bad. Let's try this again, shall we?

1/25/16

Though I did practice every so often the last two weeks, I unfortunately haven't been able to thanks to exams and other things. However, I intend to begin again later today. Also, I have a case of ignorant student. I have a family of cousins that don't like Star Wars because they've never seen it, and therefore don't understand it. However, ironically, the youngest of the three got a light up "seizure sword" as I named it, at a carnival that I was working. We did some light sparring (the swords could break if you glared at them wrong), and I broke his defenses numerous times and disarmed him at least half a dozen times. He asked me to bring my "seizure sword" with me when I go over to their house in a couple weeks, but I intend to do him one better by bringing my Ultrasabers with and teaching him the ways of the Force. This is gonna be fun.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #35025

• Tuckris
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I still have a long way before I get my saber, but I bought a 1" dowel rod at the store and have been working it into my heavy bag workout (basically getting used to moving while holding it). I replaced the Right and Left Hooks in my circuit with Sais and Chos in from that side.

Very simplistic I know... But I know where I am skill level :-)

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #35325

• Ramaloke
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Nice Concept:

1/26/16 - Not-so-patiently waiting my saber order. Stuck with conditioning training. Running two to three 5K runs a week. Breaking it up with speed bag and heavy bag exercise once a week. Continued exercise with katana, long sword, and foil once a week - realizing significant balance and handling differences will need to be taken into account when sabers arrive mid February. Initial goal will include balance and rotational exercises in either hand individually before considering dual wielding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #35656

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
1/27/16

Practiced a basic Form I dulon and some spinning. I may or may not have gotten the behind the back spin down, however, I will most likely record myself doing it and compare it to someone like Darth Nonymous' spin. Steadily getting better with using my left (non-dominant) hand and arm for spinning and basic moves, however it still feels awkward. Also, more sparring with my mother! She's currently my only partner, and she's not that great. Her only serious attacks are waving the saber around side to side (she uses the 37" blade and Sentinel hilt), but she's also pretty good at defense, which makes it hard to exploit weaknesses. Can't wait to start training my cousin, though!

A side note: my best friend has gotten into sabers, and he's already made a good handful of custom hilts on Saberparts. I hope to train him as well as a couple of my other friends, as well.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #38726

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
1/29/16

Early this morning, boredom led me to record my first saber spinning video in pitch dark. I think it went okay even though I started out slow, my camera angle sucked and I smacked myself in the head once. Have to work on that.

On a separate note, remember that friend of mine? Well, after showing him my video and introducing him to Ultrasabers (already told him about SF, but they're a bit out of his price range for now), I think he's as saber-crazy as I am now. Will keep you updated on potential training and other such things.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #39080

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
1/31/16

Did some more spinning tonight, but this time I did some with my blue Sentinel, which was a bit more difficult than using my green saber. I have gotten the hang of the Eclipse Spin with both sabers using my right side and can generally transition smoothly. Still have trouble with downward orbits, but those were never my strong suit, so I need to practice those.

I did challenge myself further today by using BOTH sabers, the longer Sentinel in my right hand and my Apprentice in my left. I tried a couple newb combos (no cross blocks though. Yuck), and I did just a bit of spinning. May or may not make another spinning video in the morning. Only time will tell.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #39522

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
2/3/16

I now do some spinning at least ten minutes a day with both arms alternating. And holy crap, I think it's actually improving my muscle mass. Muscle memory measures in muscle mass and mind. Try saying that ten times fast.

I do practice strikes and blocks, as well, and I still do some morning pushups, so all in all this is really keeping me in shape.

Eco-update: I have sufficient funds for the rest of my PC parts, which means I can start saving for my SF sabers very soon.

EDIT: Did some dulon practice late last night, as well. Really gwtting the hang of Form I, and may move on to a different form sooner or later.

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Eddlyss64.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #39525

• Kered
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
02/03/16
I built two wooden swords that me and a buddy swing around while I wait (not long now on week 7)but want to have a little swing practice before it arrives till then it's a wooden one for me
The force is strong in this one.but the dark side is always there

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 4 months ago #40550

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
2/10/16

Been consistently practicing spinning drills at least once a day with both hands for the past week. Haven't done much dulon practice, besides a good 15 or 20 minutes on Sunday.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 3 months ago #41522

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
2/17/16

I'm back in the saddle! I spent at least fifteen minutes today and yesterday practicing Shii-Cho dulons in an insulated however gravel floored shed outside in temperatures just above freezing. At least, it was above freezing outside; in the shed it was actually pretty chill rather than numb, and I was sweating by the time I finished both times. I think I'm really getting the hang of the dulons, however though I can modify them slightly to be single handed endeavors, most of the moves require a two handed grip, and my offhand isn't getting the conditioning it needs for me to dual wield. Thus, I either need to start working a one handed form or increase the duration of my spinning regimes to toughen up my offhand.

The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 3 months ago #41597

• Kered
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
02/18/16
Been trying to practice with my saber everyday the first two days was shocked at how much I got sore swinging it but I did do it for a few hours but so awesome just can't help myself
The force is strong in this one.but the dark side is always there
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 3 months ago #41612

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
After doing some spinning drills over about a week, you'll probably start noticing an increase in muscle power.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 3 months ago #41679

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1601

Secret Juice? :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 3 months ago #41683

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
OvrcAHst wrote:

Secret Juice? :P

...yyyeessssss?

Yes. Secret Juice. Definitely.
;)

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 3 months ago #42034

• OvrcAHst
Hey Eddlyss64,
Thought you might appreciate the motivation (certainly gets me pumped every time) :lol: Watched these back-to-back last night and thought about your training diary.

and here's another.

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 3 months ago #42080

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
*wishes he had muscles that epic*

Inspiration boyos!

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 2 months ago #48820

• OvrcAHst
E64 Diary Entry: Date, 1 Month 3 Days after last entry...
"Following the inspiration videos to keep myself motivated, I had a moment of enlightenment. Lightsabers are perfect instruments to develop strength, control and respect with movement fluid like an extension of oneself. With improvement of this discipline, gradually advancing over time, the instrument of choice that was Lightsabers becomes redundant and is replaced with Heavysabers." :P

Ascension!

Saber Combat Journal 1 year 2 months ago #48830

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
*rubs chin thoughtfully*

Are you messing with me, or do you actually have a 'Heavysaber'? If so, I wanna borrow that!
:P

Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2389 Posts)
    • Hi everybody ! Elouann, french lightsaber enthusiast ! I'm a student of the Sport Saber League,...
    • Family Photos (12 Posts)
    • Hoho, these are some awesome collections.
    • Family Photos (12 Posts)
    • Here's a pic of my WIP Bookcase All of these sabers are in some stage of work in progress. (this...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5225
  • Latest Member: KevinTrola
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4659
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 9