Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Securing PnP kit

Securing PnP kit 3 months 2 weeks ago #73178

• GAVIN1412
I'm waiting on my hilt and electronics, but while I wait, what's the best way to make sure the champion kit is snug and secure? Is dueling a danger to the sound card? Is there a way to protect it? Also I ordered the dissident hilt, in case that matters
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Securing PnP kit 3 months 2 weeks ago #73184

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 263
The Preferred method would be to secure it in some form of a chassis. A simple chassis can be made from an 18650 battery holder, attaching the soundboard to the back of it, and wrapping it in two spots with a thin strip of Velcro.

Other scratch built chassis methods include using blade stock and pvc.

You could also go with a 3D printed chassis or chassis system.

The above all assume a build more or less from scratch, wiring everything yourself.

With the PnP kit, it's basically a soundboard with a battery underneath wrapped in heat shrink. It may be a little loose in the hilt. You could use the Velcro method one, small wrap at either end of the battery/board, to get a snug fit in the hilt.

If properly secured there is little danger to the internal electronics from dueling for a "champion" kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GAVIN1412

Securing PnP kit 3 months 2 weeks ago #73195

• Abomunition
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/goth-customsabers?section=M5+-+Chassis+%281.12%22+OD%29&sort= Someone posted this recently

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74410

• 00Bram
  • Thank you received: 4
I have a small amount of bubble wrap that the pnp champion kit was shipped in. Is there any reason that would not be appropriate for dueling?

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74411

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 818
Hi OOBram,

I would be careful about doing that as bubble wrap can cause static electricity which could affect the soundboard. It's ok for short periods of time such as for shipping but it is still risky.

I have read somewhere you can get anti-static bubble wrap and packing peanuts (which are usually coloured pink). It is also possible to get sheets of wrapping material which is 2ply with a layer of air between, as a keyboard synthesizer I bought came wrapped in some.

I am sure other members will have further advice,

kind regards,

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by For Tyeth.

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74414

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 177
I'd also say add some velcro rings til its safe and snug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74415

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 124
The only pnp kit I have is a hero kit, and the saber its in is so crammed in there that I used some padded felt and put a layer around it so it was snug, once inserted in the saber I put a 1.1inch o-ring in front of the speaker a 1-1/16" internal snap ring and that bugger don't move. Of course making changes to it means I have to remove the snap ring every time, but small price to pay, I hate anything rattling, moving, knocking, or any kind of noise other the desired sound coming out of my sabers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74416

• 00Bram
Is static electricity an issue, when the pnp kit is shrinkwrapped already?

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74417

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 818
Hi OOBram,

The difference with Heat Shrink and Bubble Wrap is that Heat Shrink is in close contact (almost as if vacuum sealed onto it) with the board and doesn't move around whereas Bubble Wrap isn't tightly applied and the bubbles can move and rub against each other causing friction which in turn generates a charge. This charge is what could be a problem.

I have read a few websites on PC building and someone suggested packing the internals of a Tower module with bubble wrap to transport it and the members weren't too keen on the idea.

If you are referring to the clear film used to wrap the Kit for transport, any charge built up from the time the kit was in any packaging, would hopefully be minor and discharged when the packing was removed.
I just think some of the ideas mentioned by fellow members (thanks guys) would be more suitable.

Hope this helped.

For Tyeth

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74419

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
You'll likely find that the PnP Kit will be snug enough already (Kit OD against the Hilts ID). If anything to eliminate movement or rattles it will result from top/bottom shift in which it isn't uncommon for C-rings be used or if you retrofit a battery sled, stabilise it with the covertech's sockethead screw. The possible top/bottom shift will be further minimised depending on how successfully the wire lengths (for LED and switches) are tucked in.

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74431

• 00Bram
I have another question with PnP, regarding the connections between different electronics. In particular, the connectors between the switch and soundboard don't lock as tightly as the ones between the charger port and soundboard. I need to make sure they don't come apart

Securing PnP kit 2 months 2 weeks ago #74432

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 124
I found this nice clear semi thin shrink tubing in several sizes at my radio shack that I like to use for my connectors, it allows me to see what is what, and it can be removed pretty easy if needed.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5257
  • Latest Member: Jwon15
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4686
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0